Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to echo password characters Post 83168 by old-cow on Monday 12th of September 2005 07:34:58 AM
Old 09-12-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perderabo
Use google to find the source code.

good idea. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Password without numeric characters

G'day guys, Just a simple question: Is it possible to set user's passwords without numeric characters? I prefer to have passwords as simple words, but when going through SMC, i get an error that the first six characters must contain at least 2 alphabetic and 1 numeric. Server is a Sun... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drchris
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading password and echo * character

Hi, First of all i am using solaris 10. I want to write a script that ask user to enter password and read the character input from keyboard. The ask to re-enter the password and then if they are match it will accept. But my problem is I want to echo a '*' character instead of the character I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanpachuau
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminal-specific characters in password

Good morning! I am using a shell script to back up user email files to a remote location. The problem is, one (and apparently more than one) users have the symbol "@" in their password. As you can see from the line: /sbin/mount_smbfs... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: PittWolfBW
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

password verification verify password of a user for only first 8 characters

Helo , I m using linux pam library for user and its password authentication. I m creating new user and giving its password.I m giving password of 10 characters.now when I login in as that newly created user its ask me $ su - ram Password: You are required to change your password immediately... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
12 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printing password having special characters

Hi I have a password stored in a file (which is a user input) The password is having the special character $ say the password is pw$ord and is stored in the file pw_note I am using the following statement to store the passowrd in a variable $schema_pwd = `cat $dir/pwd_note` ; Now if i print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssuresh1999
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo password

hi all, I am using HP-UX I want to show password with * instead of space on screen while i entered password through keyboard. can you tell me that shell script code? i used following code stty -echo read pass stty echo echo $pass but this time it wont show anything on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hari_uctech
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

exclude characters in echo command please help

Hi all, I wrote one code and i face some difficulties to exclude some characters from the echo command more specifically the last command is echo $a "${RESULT}" >> results_data_srcip the results which i have taken are: nfcapd.200908250000 -.352228 nfcapd.200908250005 -.345085 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: draxmas
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo is replacing characters

Hi All, I'm using KSH and am writing a small script that counts the lines of various files in several folders under one root folder. Below is the script: #!/usr/bin/ksh common_path_in="/interface_in/rsc" file_out="/interface_in/rsc/record_count.csv" tot_rec_count=-1 act_rec_count=-1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagari
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to hide password when using echo cmd?

Hi Am using unix Aix Ksh I need to hide the password using echo cmd Connecting the database and fetching ip_address and password from one table. greping the IP_address and password using two variable IP_addr Pawd Then Used echo cmd echo " connecting to $IP-addr and $Pawd" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random Password generator with 2 digits and 6 characters

I am using the below to random generate a password but I need to have 2 numeric characters and 6 alphabetic chars head /dev/urandom | tr -dc A-Za-z0-9 | head -c 8 ; echo '' 6USUvqRB ------ Post updated at 04:43 PM ------ Any Help folks - Can the output be passed onto a sed command to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: infernalhell
9 Replies
GSHADOW(5)                                                 File Formats and Conversions                                                 GSHADOW(5)

NAME
gshadow - shadowed group file DESCRIPTION
/etc/gshadow contains the shadowed information for group accounts. This file must not be readable by regular users if password security is to be maintained. Each line of this file contains the following colon-separated fields: group name It must be a valid group name, which exist on the system. encrypted password Refer to crypt(3) for details on how this string is interpreted. If the password field contains some string that is not a valid result of crypt(3), for instance ! or *, users will not be able to use a unix password to access the group (but group members do not need the password). The password is used when a user who is not a member of the group wants to gain the permissions of this group (see newgrp(1)). This field may be empty, in which case only the group members can gain the group permissions. A password field which starts with an exclamation mark means that the password is locked. The remaining characters on the line represent the password field before the password was locked. This password supersedes any password specified in /etc/group. administrators It must be a comma-separated list of user names. Administrators can change the password or the members of the group. Administrators also have the same permissions as the members (see below). members It must be a comma-separated list of user names. Members can access the group without being prompted for a password. You should use the same list of users as in /etc/group. FILES
/etc/group Group account information. /etc/gshadow Secure group account information. SEE ALSO
gpasswd(5), group(5), grpck(8), grpconv(8), newgrp(1). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 GSHADOW(5)