Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: doubt in Solaris CDE
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users doubt in Solaris CDE Post 8314 by kandanmv on Tuesday 9th of October 2001 11:17:55 PM
Old 10-10-2001
Thanks alex, ill try it out.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Solaris 8, RPC, and CDE need some help.

I just installed Solaris 8 on an Intel based PC and am in the process of securing it. When I disable RPC my CDE desktop does not show up. I get my mouse cursor and a black screen. Also, anyone know how to disable SMC on Solaris 8. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beauford
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 8 CDE gone?

Help! I performed a sys-unconfig as suggested in one of the other threads to set up IP on hme0. Unfortunately after all is said and done, it no longer boots to the CDE but sits at a command prompt. Any ideas (I don't know Unix). Thanks in advance! Rob Cluett (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cluettr
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CDE in Solaris

I was wondering, if I boot up a Solaris box and the CDE does not come up by default when I log in, does that mean that the box has a GUI at all? If that is the case, where can I download CDE from? I am accustomed to RedHat and Windows, so unfortunately Solaris throws me off a little bit. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jody
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 8 - Installation CDE Error

Deard all, I installed Solaris 8 in a SUN machine, and after Solaris and Language modules installed, the result is that CDE is not working, also single user mode is only available. I tried with all init stages and the same result. Can someone advice me what to check (Some log file) or what to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmviejo
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

solaris 10 install now no cde

Hi : I installed solaris 10 on a sparc machine. now I get no cde desktop and do not know how to start it? Any ideas would be appriciated. Thanks Alan (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanj4
0 Replies

6. Solaris

How to start CDE for non root user on Solaris 10

Hi, How can I start CDE for non root user created.For root CDE is working fine but for non root user CDE exits back to login screen after trying for some time.Also I cant see .dt and .dtprofile files in the users home directory.How can I create them.Kindly help. Thanks & Regards, Kiran. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kiranherekar
1 Replies

7. Solaris

CDE Issue In Solaris 10

Hi All, I have solaris 10 on X86 and I need to connect this through X-Manager or similar software. I have googled a lot and tried the following : root@sol10x86 # ps -ef |grep dtlogin root 1825 4718 0 13:38:50 pts/1 0:00 grep dtlogin root@sol10x86 # svcs cde-login STATE ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pintu_asim
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 CDE hang issue

Hi, I am facing some issues on Solaris 10 (SPARC 5.10 Generic_118833-36). The issue is when I try to connect/login through CDE it hangs (hangs at login screen). I tried connecting thourgh VNC client also but that also not helped. I had done no configuration change or modified any kernel... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kgupta
2 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to migrate Solaris 10 CDE config to HP-UX CDE.

Hello, Do you guys by any chance know what is the best (if any ) way to move CDE configuration from a SOLARIS 10 machine to HP-UX? Just the config (actions, text files etc). Thanks in advance! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: binary0x01
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 8 CDE Problem

All, I'm running Solaris 8 on a Sparcbook. One of my users, when logging in, defaults to Open Windows desktop rather than CDE. All other users get logged into CDE just fine. Is there a file or something that tells the system what default login is? I'm confused as to why it's just for this one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: leosmith78
4 Replies
alex(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   alex(1)

NAME
alex - extract addresses from message headers (only available within the message handling system, mh) SYNOPSIS
alex [+folder] [msgs] [options] OPTIONS
Accepts an address that you type in, rather than taking an address from a message. If any -field option is specified, it is ignored. Spec- ifies the name of the alias file, in which aliases are placed. You must provide a file name or a dash (-) as an argument with this option. There is no default value. If the value given for this option is -, or the option is not specified, alex will print the output to your screen. If you do not give the full pathname of your alias file, alex will look for the alias file in your Mail directory, as specified in the Path field of your file. If alex cannot locate the alias file in the directory that you specify, it will ask you whether or not you wish to create one. You can set up an alias file to be used by alex in your mh_profile(4) for more information. Like other mail commands, alex uses the Aliasfile entry to find the alias file. Prevents any repetition of the same address in the output of an alex command. You can use this option when there are multiple occurrences of an address in an address group and you want just one occurrence of it in your alias. The default is -nocompress. Specifies the name of a header field. The name of the field is not case-sensitive. If you spec- ify this option without providing an argument, the default values are: -field reply-to/sender/from/to. You can set up your own default values for the -field option in your mh_profile(4). Examples of field names are From, cc and To. You must not type a colon after the name of a field. When more field names follow, in the form /name, the message header is searched for each of the fields in turn until one is found. Only the first header field found to contain an address is used; the rest are ignored. The option -nofield excludes the named field. The special name, all, means all fields, and can be used as a value for the -nofield option to override any default order of header fields, otherwise -field values are appended to any default values. Specifies that any address replacements or appendings will apply to all occurrences of that alias name. Normally, if an alias name is entered in the alias file more than once, any actions performed by alex are performed only on the first occurrence of that alias name. The -global option ensures that any changes are made to all occurrences of the alias. Whenever this option is specified, a message is broadcast to your screen telling you how many entries in the alias file have been changed. Prints a list of the valid options for this command. Specifies the alias name for address information extracted. The alex command appends a colon (:) to the name as required by mh-alias(4). If you do not specify this option,alex will print extracted addresses to your screen. If you specify this option, you must provide an argument; there is no default value. Extracts addresses interactively. Before adding each address of a list of extracted addresses to an alias group, the mail system will ask you whether you wish the address to be added. The query prompt is written on the standard error output. The default is -noquery. Replaces existing alias with the new list of addresses. By default, if there is an existing alias with the same name as the one you are trying to create, alex appends the new address list to the old alias. If an address appears in both address groups, it is still appended, so that it appears twice in the new alias. You can specify this explicitly by using the -nore- place option. If you specify the -replace option, the new list of addresses replaces the existing group. The default is -noreplace. Specifies the maximum width of your alias file line. If an alias group extends beyond this length, it is continued on the next line, with a backslash () at end of the first line. Any X.400 addresses which are longer than the maximum line length specified by this option are automatically wrapped onto the next line. This option affects the format of each individual entry when it is implemented; any subsequent or previous entries in the alias file remain the same. The default is 72 characters. DESCRIPTION
The address line extraction utility alex extracts electronic mail addresses from message headers and prints the addresses on your screen or places them, with a specified alias name, in an alias file. By default, alex searches for addresses in the current message in the current folder. You can list the messages you wish alex to search giving a msgs argument. You can also search messages in a different folder by giving a +folder argument. You define the fields from which you want addresses by using combinations of field names with the -field option. You can also supply an address yourself as a value to the -address option. Results are printed either to your screen or to a file in mh-alias(4) format. Where there is an address group in the alias file with an alias name identical to one you have specified in an alex command, it may be replaced or the new addresses appended. A copy of the original alias file is kept. By default, alex searches the Reply-to:, Sender:, From: and To: header fields in that order until an address is found. You can set up your own default values for alex in your file; see mh_profile(4). When giving options to the alex command, generally the shortest unique abbreviation suffices. RESTRICTIONS
Because the -nofield option can take the value all as an argument, alex will not recognize a header field called All. If you wish to use such a header field, you should call it X-all. If a command line contains contradictory arguments then the last value specified is used. For example, in the following command, alex only uses the options -name fred and -noreplace: % alex -name sam -name fred -replace -noreplace EXAMPLES
This example takes the address from the From field of the current message, and places it in your alias file with the alias name bob: % alex -field from -alias aliases -name bob The following example shows what happens if you specify an alias file that does not exist. You are asked whether you want to create the file; enter y to create it: % alex -field from -name bob -alias aliases Create alias file "HOME/Mail/aliases"? y The next example takes addresses from two fields, From and cc, and saves them as the alias sales_team: % alex -field from -field cc -alias aliases -name sales_team FILES
Your user profile. SEE ALSO
ali(1), mh(1), pick(1), mh-alias(4), mh_profile(4) alex(1)