Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: performance
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users performance Post 82829 by blowtorch on Wednesday 7th of September 2005 02:23:23 AM
Old 09-07-2005
Check the procs columns, r is for process that are currently runnable and waiting for cpu time, b is for processes that are blocked for some IO. The paging column is also important. You should not have very high values of po - pageouts and sr - pages scanned by the scan algo. These mean that your system is spending more time doing paging than carrying out user tasks.

But the exact threshold values of these depend on your system config, the applications running on the system and a host of other parameters, which makes it quite difficult to come up with exact values.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Performance

Hello, i have changed a slow server with Solaris 7 to a bigger one with Solaris 8 (Sun Ultra 2). Now i have a real bad performance problem (only CPU). Solaris 7 ran with standard FTP and Samba 2.0.7. The new machine is running ProFTP and Samba 2.0.9. There are a lot of NFS Shares and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: olso
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

performance

Hi, I have this on a AIX UNIX machine : ps aux| head -20 USER PID %CPU %MEM SZ RSS TTY STAT STIME TIME COMMAND root 516 23.7 0.0 12 15808 - A 19:38:15 903:13 wait root 774 23.7 0.0 12 15808 - A 19:38:15 902:13 wait root 1290 23.6 0.0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

I/O performance

i want to determine I/O performance of an executable, but iostat dont give correct results because the disk that i am writing to and reading from, are not physical disk of the host machine, instead of these local disks we are using a network storage. is there any standard way in unix to get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

performance issue

Hi, on a linux server I have the following : vmstat 2 10 procs memory swap io system cpu r b w swpd free buff cache si so bi bo in cs us sy id 0 4 0 675236 39836 206060 1617660 3 3 3 6 8 7 1 1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

5. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Announcing collectl - new performance linux performance monitor

About 4 years ago I wrote this tool inspired by Rob Urban's collect tool for DEC's Tru64 Unix. What makes this tool as different as collect was in its day is its ability to run at a low overhead and collect tons of stuff. I've expanded the general concept and even include data not available in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MarkSeger
0 Replies

6. Solaris

best way and best performance

Hi all, I have two storadge 3510 Fc .. with 12 disks 146Gb ..total 1752Gb each storadge. I need to use about 1.4 Tb of it. and want RAID1 .. I need 13 mount points .. So question: for best performance and redundjancy how I must do it. create 13 logical drives on each stordge with same size... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samar
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Performance issue

hi I am having a performance issue with the following requirement i have to create a permutation and combination on a set of three files such that each record in each file is picked and the output is redirected in a specific format but it is taking around 70 odd hours to prepare a combination... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad_man12
7 Replies
MLOCK(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  MLOCK(2)

NAME
mlock - disable paging for some parts of memory SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/mman.h> int mlock(const void *addr, size_t len); DESCRIPTION
mlock disables paging for the memory in the range starting at addr with length len bytes. All pages which contain a part of the specified memory range are guaranteed be resident in RAM when the mlock system call returns successfully and they are guaranteed to stay in RAM until the pages are unlocked by munlock or munlockall, until the pages are unmapped via munmap, or until the process terminates or starts another program with exec. Child processes do not inherit page locks across a fork. Memory locking has two main applications: real-time algorithms and high-security data processing. Real-time applications require determin- istic timing, and, like scheduling, paging is one major cause of unexpected program execution delays. Real-time applications will usually also switch to a real-time scheduler with sched_setscheduler. Cryptographic security software often handles critical bytes like passwords or secret keys as data structures. As a result of paging, these secrets could be transfered onto a persistent swap store medium, where they might be accessible to the enemy long after the security software has erased the secrets in RAM and terminated. Memory locks do not stack, i.e., pages which have been locked several times by calls to mlock or mlockall will be unlocked by a single call to munlock for the corresponding range or by munlockall. Pages which are mapped to several locations or by several processes stay locked into RAM as long as they are locked at least at one location or by at least one process. On POSIX systems on which mlock and munlock are available, _POSIX_MEMLOCK_RANGE is defined in <unistd.h> and the value PAGESIZE from <lim- its.h> indicates the number of bytes per page. NOTES
With the Linux system call, addr is automatically rounded down to the nearest page boundary. However, POSIX 1003.1-2001 allows an imple- mentation to require that addr is page aligned, so portable applications should ensure this. RETURN VALUE
On success, mlock returns zero. On error, -1 is returned, errno is set appropriately, and no changes are made to any locks in the address space of the process. ERRORS
ENOMEM Some of the specified address range does not correspond to mapped pages in the address space of the process or the process tried to exceed the maximum number of allowed locked pages. EPERM The calling process does not have appropriate privileges. Only root processes are allowed to lock pages. EINVAL len was not a positive number. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1b, SVr4. SVr4 documents an additional EAGAIN error code. SEE ALSO
mlockall(2), munlock(2), munlockall(2), munmap(2), setrlimit(2) Linux 1.3.43 1995-11-26 MLOCK(2)