Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UID problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UID problem Post 8282 by ChrisFoxx on Tuesday 9th of October 2001 11:26:52 AM
Old 10-09-2001
UID problem

I'm teaching myself UNIX, so bear with me! Smilie

I created two user accounts on my box. One day I shut down the system using "shutdown -h 1". The system shut down cleanly.

A few days I rebooted the box, no problem.

But root is the only account that can log in. The other 2 user accounts can't.

CapsLock is off. Both accounts appear where they belong, with encrypted passwords. Fingering both accounts says they never logged in. If I SU to the first account it says it isn't there (grek sez it is), but I can SU to the 2nd account. And when I exit, it exits to the FIRST account that it said ain't there! From there I can exit back to root.

::shrug::

I also created two new accounts, and neither of them could log in, either. :/

And reassigning passwords doesn't work.

Help?

>>>>>>>Chris

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

UID Change

Currently, I have about 7 servers and the uid for a given person is different on each server. I want to make the uid's the same for a given username on each server. I know how to change the uid via smit, but when I do the previous uid number shows up as the owner for the files of that username.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcateriny
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reversing UID's

Is it possible given a uid to determine information about the person with the uid? An example would be simple information regarding what group and the name of the person associated with that uid. It seems there is probably an easy staring me in the face but i cant seem to find it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreaming1
3 Replies

3. AIX

UID not to be reused

Hello I want to find out how I can make sure in AIX that the UIDs cannot be reused Until after 6 Months after the user has left. Thanks, Noori (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: noori
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking uid

How do i go about getting the uid of the user and verify ? if then echo "You are not a superuser, please login as a superuser" exit1; fi the above code doesn't work. can some guru please help me. 1. how to get the uid of the user ? i know by typing id but how to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: filthymonk
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

uid script help

i need a script to process a password file and based on the UIDs in the password file, generate the new UID that is 1 greater than the highest uid. i have some script logic but i dont really understand it. any help? #!/usr/bin/perl ########################################## #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: livewire06
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

UId

is tty command opens a process in the system if yes then why process got the userid????? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mac91
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Duplicated UID

Hi folks! I need you help to discover what's the impact of a duplicated UID in an operating system. What's the meaning when someone put in different users the same UID? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phcostabh
3 Replies

8. AIX

More than 1 UID 0

Hi, Can any one please tell what are the risks of having more than one users having UID 0 (root)? Thanks Naveed (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveedaix
9 Replies

9. Solaris

Changing uid value

Hi, I want to change user id gefadm ,uid=0(root) gid=0(root) to uid=16649(isaadmin) gid=16284(dstage), how can i change this uid ,gid one value to another value. Please provide the steps how can i change , uid=0(root) gid=0(root) to uid=16649(isaadmin) gid=16284(dstage). Thanks in advance for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhardwh
2 Replies

10. Solaris

UID Admin

Hi All, I have to give permission to one of the groups called as "ABC" as like the permissions of the group "UNIXADM". Could you please some one help on this issue ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramareddi16
3 Replies
SYNC-ACCOUNTS-CREATEUSER(8)					 chiark utilities				       SYNC-ACCOUNTS-CREATEUSER(8)

NAME
sync-accounts-createuser - helper/hook program for sync-accounts SYNOPSIS
SYNCUSER_CREATE_var=value... sync-accounts-createuser DESCRIPTION
sync-accounts-createuser is invoked by sync-accounts when sync-accounts is creating a local account. It must perform all of the tasks involved with local account creation except for the actual changes to the password, shadow and group data- bases. At the very minimum, it must create the new account's home directory (with appropriate permissions). The supplied sync-accounts-createuser script does exactly that. It may also suggest to sync-accounts modifications to the new account's passwd entry. INVOCATION
When sync-accounts-createuser is invoked, the passwd and group entries will not yet have been set up, so it may not rely on them. sync- accounts-createuser will not be supplied with any arguments. However, the following environment variables will be set, giving details about the account to be created: SYNCUSER_CREATE_USER SYNCUSER_CREATE_UID SYNCUSER_CREATE_GID SYNCUSER_CREATE_COMMENT SYNCUSER_CREATE_HOME SYNCUSER_CREATE_SHELL RESULTS
sync-accounts-createuser should usually produce no output. It can inhibit the creation of the user by outputting a single line not containing a colon; in this case, a diagnostic message will be written to sync-accounts's logfile, and the user will be skipped. Alternatively, it may write out an alternative password file entry, in which case sync-accounts will use the supplied data for the local passwd file instead of that from the remote host. The line should be in Sys-V passwd file format (regardless of localformat or remotefor- mat settings). The username field should be taken from SYNCUSER_CREATE_USER, and the password field should be x. EXIT STATUS
0 All went well, or we wrote a line without a colon to say that the account should not be created. any other There were serious problems and sync-accounts should bomb out immediately. FILES
None. ENVIRONMENT
See above. BUGS
The supplied sync-accounts-createuser does not check that it was not supplied with any arguments; nor does it check that the SYNCUSER_CRE- ATE_* variables are set, or have sensible values. AUTHOR
sync-accounts-createuser and this manpage were written by Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk>. They are Copyright 1999-2002 Ian Jack- son <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk>. This manpage forms part of the sync-accounts package. sync-accounts-createuser and the sync-accounts package are free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 3, or (at your option) any later version. This is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, consult the Free Software Foundation's website at www.fsf.org, or the GNU Project website at www.gnu.org. SEE ALSO
sync-accounts(8), sync-accounts(5), passwd(5) Greenend 14th July 2002 SYNC-ACCOUNTS-CREATEUSER(8)