Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to exit from Linux ?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to exit from Linux ? Post 826 by Neo on Sunday 21st of January 2001 10:43:07 AM
Old 01-21-2001
When you type <B>halt</B> the OS terminates all processes and prepares the system to shutdown the power. Normally, halt is used before a power shutdown (to add a disk, card, etc.) for any reason.

Normally, if you want to reboot and get the lilo prompt, the command is <B>shutdown -r now</B>, where "r" means reboot and "now" means now Smilie (you could say to shutdown and reboot in 5 minutes, etc., BTW, etc.)

Also, just a word of caution, before typing these commands, it is good to do a <B>sync</B> twice or so. This flushes certain information in RAM to disk, very helpful before shutdown or reboot. Most systems do this as a part of the shutdown scripts, but it is considered good practice to do this from the command line anyway. You will develop a good habit over time of typing sync;sync Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I find a list of exit codes? (Exit code 64)

I'm receiving an exit code 64 in our batch scheduler (BMC product control-m) executing a PERL script on UX-HP. Can you tell me where I can find a list of exit codes and their meaning. I'm assuming the exit code is from the Unix operating system not PERL. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkuchar747
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

"whenever sqlerror exit 1" does not work on Linux

Hi folks, I have the following functions in my Installation script: create_roles() { export rollback=yes echo "\nCreating roles ..." >> $installLog errMsg="ERROR: Failed to create roles!\nCheck the details in ${logDir}/create_roles.log" validMsg="-> VALID: roles were created." ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
2 Replies

3. Linux

How to stop linux man pages from clearing on exit?

Whenever I quit out of reading a man page, it clears the screen. I do not like this behavior, as I'd like to keep part of the man page on the screen while I type out a command. How do I stop this behavior? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: akbar
6 Replies

4. Programming

exit(0) versus exit(1)

What is the difference between using exit(0) and exit(1) to exit a program? Which should I use? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: enuenu
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is meaning of exit(0) and exit(1)

can u tell me what is the meaning of exit(0),exit(1),exit(2) what is diff amonng these. Amit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux:Program exit with displaying a print feature

hi All I have a scritp running which connects to a local host and then gets a value from a field and then ftp that value to antoher server. It is running fine, and from crontab it gives the output to a file, the problem is sometime it doesnt run but if i check the output file it does not show one... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: imran721
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

LINUX - How to compare the values in 2 files & exit from the script

Hi All, I have a requirement where I need to compare 2 files & if the values in the files match, it should proceed, else exit the script without proceeding further. For e.g : Scenario 1 In this case, the script should exit without proceeding further. Scenario 2 In this case, the script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need the difference between exit 1 & exit 7

Hi In one of the script I am seeing some thing like exit 7,exit 1,exit 2,exit 3,exit 9,exit6.What is the difference between all of this exit.Can anyone help here please (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginrkf
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux process exit

friends when I call to a procedure where DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE bd are having the procedure? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux shell | how to exit a script if any command fails.

Hi, i am new here let me say HI for all. now i have a question please: i am sending one command to my machine to create 3 names. if one of the names exists then the box return error message that already have the name but will continue to create the rests. How i can break the command and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amiri
7 Replies
HALT(8) 						Linux System Administrator's Manual						   HALT(8)

NAME
halt, reboot, poweroff - stop the system. SYNOPSIS
/sbin/halt [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] [-p] [-h] /sbin/reboot [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] /sbin/poweroff [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] [-h] DESCRIPTION
Halt notes that the system is being brought down in the file /var/log/wtmp, and then either tells the kernel to halt, reboot or poweroff the system. If halt or reboot is called when the system is not in runlevel 0 or 6, in other words when it's running normally, shutdown will be invoked instead (with the -h or -r flag). For more info see the shutdown(8) manpage. The rest of this manpage describes the behaviour in runlevels 0 and 6, that is when the systems shutdown scripts are being run. OPTIONS
-n Don't sync before reboot or halt. -w Don't actually reboot or halt but only write the wtmp record (in the /var/log/wtmp file). -d Don't write the wtmp record. The -n flag implies -d. -f Force halt or reboot, don't call shutdown(8). -i Shut down all network interfaces just before halt or reboot. -h Put all harddrives on the system in standby mode just before halt or poweroff. -p When halting the system, do a poweroff. This is the default when halt is called as poweroff. DIAGNOSTICS
If you're not the superuser, you will get the message `must be superuser'. NOTES
Under older sysvinit releases , reboot and halt should never be called directly. From release 2.74 on halt and reboot invoke shutdown(8) if the system is not in runlevel 0 or 6. This means that if halt or reboot cannot find out the current runlevel (for example, when /var/run/utmp hasn't been initialized correctly) shutdown will be called, which might not be what you want. Use the -f flag if you want to do a hard halt or reboot. The -h flag puts all harddisks in standby mode just before halt or poweroff. Right now this is only implemented for IDE drives. A side effect of putting the drive in standby mode is that the write cache on the disk is flushed. This is important for IDE drives, since the kernel doesn't flush the write-cache itself before poweroff. The halt program uses /proc/ide/hd* to find all IDE disk devices, which means that /proc needs to be mounted when halt or poweroff is called or the -h switch will do nothing. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8) Nov 6, 2001 HALT(8)