Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Error Handling in Korn Shell scripts Post 82530 by vino on Friday 2nd of September 2005 05:14:05 AM
Old 09-02-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
[code]
/path/to/somecommand ; RC=$?
if [ $RC -eq 0 ] ; then
print - "everything worked out fine"
else
print - "something screwed up"
fi
[code]

bakunin
I agree its only a print.. but it is against point 1 of this post ?

Last edited by RTM; 09-02-2005 at 09:50 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Null handling in scripts

Hi, I face some problem with handling of nulls. I declare a variable - say i - and intialise to 0. Later I read it from console, wherein if I dont give any variable and press return key, I get this error: "0403-004 Specify a parameter with this command" Is there anyway to handle this error? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanprabu
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Handling Errors in Shell Scripts

I have a shell script, which calls a load script to load a database. How can i handle errors in Unix(similar to 'error level' in Batch scripts)? I am trying to use 'mailx' to send a Success/failure message based on the error level returned by the load script. I have already used an error log... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarsani
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn Shell Script to find out error in logfile

Hi All, I am new to this forum as well as to unix scripting. Can you please help me to create a korn shell script to find out errors in logfiles and get the name of that logfile ( which is having error) in email and email it to me? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jithu
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error with korn shell - arrays

Hi All I have a FTP script which FTPs few files into an user folder. I intend to keep track of the folder size before FTP and after FTP and print that once the FTP script is run (a kind of comparison, "Before FTP, "After FTP"). I decided to use kron shells to accomplish this. #! /bin/ksh ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruparan18
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error handling in Unix shell scripting

Hello, I have written a shell script and suppose there is any error in the script. How i can do exception handling in shell script.for example i have below code sqlplus -s <<uid>>/<<pwd>>@<<$ORACLE_SID>> <<EOF > 1_pid1.log set pagesize 0 set feedback off set heading off set linesize 200... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rksingh003
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Advanced error handling in shell scripts

Hi all I've got a question regarding error handling in shell scripts. My background is mainly object oriented programming languages, but for a year or so I've been doing more and more (bash) shell scripting (which I quite enjoy by the way). To handle errors in my scripts I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_man
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

korn shell script executed with error

Hi, need help, I would like to know what is this IF statement trying to do? When the script is executing and error out with line 9 which is the IF statement line. if ] then TOPDIR=$(pwd) else TOPDIR=${0%/*} fi TOPDIR=${TOPDIR%/*} the log file. Current system time is... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: beooi
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to capture sftp error in Korn Shell

I am not able to capture error condition in sftp in Korn Shell #!/bin/ksh sftp batch@uat >abc 2>&1 << ENDFILE cd public put /data/WELCOME_55 ENDFILE ret_val=$? if ] then print file "copied successfully" else print file "NOT copied successfully" fi return 0 Now the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soham
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to refer more than 9 command line inputs for a scripts in korn shell?

Hi all, I have a script which should take more than 9 command line inputs while running. Likescript.sh a s d f g h j j k l o p i u y t r e w Now in the script if I have to access one of the input which is at position after 9, in this case say 'p' then how can I do that? echo $12 will not work... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
15 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling scripts in two different servers

Hi , My Script work as below 1- On server 1 execute script1.sh , through this script one parameter file is generated as file.txt this is to transfer on server 2 2- After reaching on server2 other shell script script2.sh execute using parameter file file.txt This generate file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaushik02018
1 Replies
BEGIN(7)							   SQL Commands 							  BEGIN(7)

NAME
BEGIN - start a transaction block SYNOPSIS
BEGIN [ WORK | TRANSACTION ] [ transaction_mode [, ...] ] where transaction_mode is one of: ISOLATION LEVEL { SERIALIZABLE | REPEATABLE READ | READ COMMITTED | READ UNCOMMITTED } READ WRITE | READ ONLY DESCRIPTION
BEGIN initiates a transaction block, that is, all statements after a BEGIN command will be executed in a single transaction until an explicit COMMIT [commit(7)] or ROLLBACK [rollback(7)] is given. By default (without BEGIN), PostgreSQL executes transactions in ``autocom- mit'' mode, that is, each statement is executed in its own transaction and a commit is implicitly performed at the end of the statement (if execution was successful, otherwise a rollback is done). Statements are executed more quickly in a transaction block, because transaction start/commit requires significant CPU and disk activity. Execution of multiple statements inside a transaction is also useful to ensure consistency when making several related changes: other ses- sions will be unable to see the intermediate states wherein not all the related updates have been done. If the isolation level or read/write mode is specified, the new transaction has those characteristics, as if SET TRANSACTION [set_transac- tion(7)] was executed. PARAMETERS
WORK TRANSACTION Optional key words. They have no effect. Refer to SET TRANSACTION [set_transaction(7)] for information on the meaning of the other parameters to this statement. NOTES
START TRANSACTION [start_transaction(7)] has the same functionality as BEGIN. Use COMMIT [commit(7)] or ROLLBACK [rollback(7)] to terminate a transaction block. Issuing BEGIN when already inside a transaction block will provoke a warning message. The state of the transaction is not affected. To nest transactions within a transaction block, use savepoints (see SAVEPOINT [savepoint(7)]). For reasons of backwards compatibility, the commas between successive transaction_modes can be omitted. EXAMPLES
To begin a transaction block: BEGIN; COMPATIBILITY
BEGIN is a PostgreSQL language extension. It is equivalent to the SQL-standard command START TRANSACTION [start_transaction(7)], whose ref- erence page contains additional compatibility information. Incidentally, the BEGIN key word is used for a different purpose in embedded SQL. You are advised to be careful about the transaction semantics when porting database applications. SEE ALSO
COMMIT [commit(7)], ROLLBACK [rollback(7)], START TRANSACTION [start_transaction(7)], SAVEPOINT [savepoint(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 BEGIN(7)