Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers passing ip address as a variable to script for ftp Post 82418 by bakunin on Wednesday 31st of August 2005 08:16:08 PM
Old 08-31-2005
you can use "who -q <user>" to get the IP-address (i tried that on AIX 5.2) and put that info into your variable.

Sample output of "who -q":
f985905 (130.20.158.93)

Therefore:

HOST="$( who -q | sed 's/.*(\([^)]\).*/\1/' )"

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random parameters passing in FTP script

Hi I have a question. In the FTP script if we are passing all the required value like Hostname, username, password, Action(put or get), Filename, & mode(ascii or binary) through parameters then we have to pass these in the exact orders in which they are taken like if we defined Username=$2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sourabhshakya
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing a variable into an awk script

Hello all, I'm trying to run a script of this format - for i in $(cat <file>); do grep $i <file1>|awk '{print $i, $1, $2}' It's not working - does anyone know how this can be done? Khoom (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing variable to my script

Hello everybody: Im trying to run the following script on my sol9 machine: line='' ((lineCount= 0)) export lineCount more /tmp/MSISDNs | wc -l > /tmp/tmp cat /tmp/tmp | read lineCount export lineCount; while (( lineCount > 0 )) do line= tail -$lineCount... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aladdin
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing asterisk to a script as variable

I'm writing a script that will ssh to a number of hosts and run commands. I'm a bit stumped at the moment as some of the commands that I need to run contain wildcards (i.e. *), and so far I have not figured out how to escape the * character so the script doesn't expand it. More specifically, here's... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: GKnight
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing parameter to ftp script from output of another ftp

Hi, I have a ftp script which first gets all the file names and echo's the latest file. I'm using another ftp command sets to get the file name given by first ftp. The problem is the parameter is not accepted by second ftp. The error message i'm getting is > Rename Temp File calloc:ICMP... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable from shell script to python script

I have a shell script main.sh which inturn call the python script ofdm.py, I want to pass two variables from shell script to python script for its execution. How do i achieve this ????? Eg: main.sh a=3 b=3; c= a+b exec python ofdm.py ofdm.py d=c+a Thanks in Anticipation (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi792
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help passing variable from script

Hello, How can I pass a variable into a 2nd file? I'm running a script: ls -la $1 >pem99 cat pem99 | awk '{ print $3}' >us99 cat us99 | read us98 This then tells me the owner of a file. my second file is: echo OWNER GROUP OTHERS echo echo --data-- $us98 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable as an argument to another script

Hi, I am trying to pass a variable as an argument to another script. While substitution of variable, I am facing a problem. varaiable "a" value should be -b "FPT MAIN". When we pass "a" to another script, we are expecing it to get substitue as ./test.sh -b "FPT MAIN". But, it is getting... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manasa Pradeep
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing value of variable to a query within shell script

I have a script in which i connect to database to run a query and get the result of the query to a temp file. This works fine , now what i want is there is flat file which contains the value to be used in the query. I want to read this file line by line and then run the query for each value in that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpk_newbie
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable from called script to the caller script

Hi all, Warm regards! I am in a difficult situation here. I have been trying to create a shell script which calls another shell script inside. Here is a simplified version of the same. Calling Script. #!/bin/ksh # want to run as a different process... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LoneRanger
6 Replies
RUSERS(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 RUSERS(1)

NAME
rusers -- who is logged in to machines on local network SYNOPSIS
rusers [-al] [host ...] DESCRIPTION
The rusers command produces output similar to who, but for the list of hosts or all machines on the local network. For each host responding to the rusers query, the hostname with the names of the users currently logged on is printed on each line. The rusers command will wait for one minute to catch late responders. The following options are available: -a Print all machines responding even if no one is currently logged in. -l Print a long format listing. This includes the user name, host name, tty that the user is logged in to, the date and time the user logged in, the amount of time since the user typed on the keyboard, and the remote host they logged in from (if applicable). DIAGNOSTICS
rusers: RPC: Program not registered The rpc.rusersd(8) daemon has not been started on the remote host. rusers: RPC: Timed out A communication error occurred. Either the network is excessively congested, or the rpc.rusersd(8) daemon has terminated on the remote host. rusers: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Timed out The remote host is not running the portmapper (see portmap(8) ), and cannot accomodate any RPC-based services. The host may be down. SEE ALSO
rwho(1) users(1), who(1), portmap(8), rpc.rusersd(8) HISTORY
The rusers command appeared in SunOS. BUGS
The sorting options are not implemented. Linux NetKit (0.17) August 15, 1999 Linux NetKit (0.17)