Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to sed with tail
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to sed with tail Post 82249 by zazzybob on Tuesday 30th of August 2005 05:27:01 AM
Old 08-30-2005
Using the shell, i'd do something convoluted like this
Code:
$ cat ./redlotus.sh
#!/bin/ksh

matchfile="redlotus.txt"

matches=`echo "${line}" | egrep -in "Error|Exception" ${matchfile}`
echo "${matches} " | while read line; do
   lineno=`echo "${line}" | cut -d: -f1`
   match=`echo "${line}" | cut -d: -f2`
   echo "Match found - line ${lineno} - ${match}"
   minline=$(( lineno - 5 ))
   [[ "$(( lineno - 5 ))" -lt 1 ]] && minline=1
   sed -n "$minline,$(( lineno - 1 ))p" ${matchfile}
   sed -n "$lineno p" ${matchfile}
   sed -n "$(( lineno + 1 )),$(( lineno + 5 ))p" ${matchfile}

# note we could just do
   # sed -n "$minline, $((lineno + 5))p" ${matchfile}
   # but i've left this as-is to show you how to grab the previous, and the
   # next, five lines....
done
exit 0

No doubt, there is a far easier way (using -C option to GNU (e)grep for example)....

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using tail -f

Working in HP-UX 10.20. I eventually want to write a bourne shell script to handle the following problem, but for now I am just toying with it at the command line. Here's what I am basically trying to do: tail -f log_X | grep n > log_Y I am doing a tail -f on log_X . Once it sees "n", I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tail??

Hello all, I have search the forum and could not find an answer...Here is what I am trying to do. Every 15 minutes, a script send uptime output to a logfile (dailylog.log), that file contains lines like the one below: 11:21am up 44 days, 19:15, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.03 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: qfwfq
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail -f

I am trying to extract a particular line from a.log which keeps appending every sec and output that into a newfile b.log which should append itself with filtered data received from a.log I tried tail -f a.log |grep fail| tee -a b.log nothing in b.log tail -f a.log |grep fail >>b.log ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wannalearn
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail issue!

Hi, I had few scripts which were running fine on linux: uname -a Linux ######### 2.6.9-89.ELsmp #1 SMP Mon Apr 20 10:33:05 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux from some front end application. Recently there was a migration of this application on some other linux m/c: uname -a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed one liner simialr to tail command

Can anyone explain the below sed oneliner? sed -e ':a' -e '$q;N;11,$D;ba' It works same as tail command. I just want to know how it works. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining multiple files tail on tail

I have 250 files that have 16 columns each - all numbered as follows stat.1000, stat.1001, stat.1002, stat.1003....stat.1250. I would like to join all 250 of them together tail by tail as follows. For example stat.1000 a b c d e f stat.1001 g h i j k l So that my output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayak
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What should be precedence of using awk, sed, head and tail in UNIX?

Hi All, I am new to unix. In this forum some days back, I have read something like below: 1) Do not use perl if awk can do your work. 2) Do not use awk if sed can do your work. . . . I do not re-collect the whole thing. I think it is good to know the precedence of using these... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathmesh
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tail +

because the tail +2 on the first line gives me the file name pomga I do not want anything like what I miss tail +2 ejemplo.txt ouput ==> ejemplo.txt <== 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to tail sed and awk in one line?

Hello, I am trying to create an iptables script with tail ,sed and awk. 1st Request: Search keyword "secret" in access.log file 2nd Request: Get first column matching lines (ip address) 3rd Request: Save it to a file This is what I did so far: grep.sh #!/bin/bash while true; do tail... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
23 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Tail -f Command help

Hi Team, Can anyone help me here: I have to access server logs via putty and these logs file is a trailing file (continously updating) with ERROR and WARNINGS... I need to know if I can pull this trailing file to a local drive so that I can do some higlighting on some keywords through Notepad... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jitensetia
13 Replies
DWARF_UNDEF_MACRO(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 				      DWARF_UNDEF_MACRO(3)

NAME
dwarf_undef_macro -- record the removal of a macro definition LIBRARY
DWARF Access Library (libdwarf, -ldwarf) SYNOPSIS
#include <libdwarf.h> int dwarf_undef_macro(Dwarf_P_Debug dbg, Dwarf_Unsigned lineno, char *name, Dwarf_Error *err); DESCRIPTION
Function dwarf_undef_macro() records the removal of a macro definition in a DWARF producer instance. Argument dbg should reference a DWARF producer instance allocated using dwarf_producer_init(3) or dwarf_producer_init_b(3). Argument lineno specifies the line number of the source line where the macro definition was removed. A value of zero indicates that the macro definition was removed before any source files were read. Argument name should point to a NUL-terminated string containing the name of the macro. If argument err is not NULL, it will be used to store error information in case of an error. RETURN VALUES
On success, function dwarf_undef_macro() returns DW_DLV_OK. In case of an error, function dwarf_undef_macro() returns DW_DLV_ERROR and sets the argument err. EXAMPLE
To record the fact that the macro named _STDIO_H_ was removed at line 220 of the current macro file, use: Dwarf_P_Debug dbg; Dwarf_Error de; /* ... Assume 'dbg' refers to a DWARF producer instance... */ if (dwarf_undef_macro(dbg, 220, "_STDIO_H_", &de) != DW_DLV_OK) errx(EXIT_FAILURE, "dwarf_def_macro failed: %s", dwarf_errmsg(-1)); ERRORS
Function dwarf_undef_macro() can fail with: [DW_DLE_ARGUMENT] Either arguments dbg or name was NULL. [DW_DLE_MEMORY] An out of memory condition was encountered during the execution of the function. SEE ALSO
dwarf(3), dwarf_def_macro(3), dwarf_end_macro_file(3), dwarf_producer_init(3), dwarf_producer_init_b(3), dwarf_start_macro_file(3), dwarf_vendor_ext(3) BSD
November 9, 2011 BSD