Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Null Characters
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Null Characters Post 82228 by Ygor on Monday 29th of August 2005 11:31:07 PM
Old 08-30-2005
To remove nulls from a file...
Code:
sed 's/\x0//g' file1 > file2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare null with non-null

I've got a very peculiar situation. I'm trying to find out if we can compare null fields with non-null. I've output csv files from SQL and Oracle. I need to compare each field from the files, and then find out any differences. The files usualy have over 500 fields, and send the resule to DBA.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove null characters from file?

I'm trying to remove the null characters from a file and copy it to std output. I'm using emacs and I create the following one line bash file (followed by the error messages): sed -e 's/^@//' <ConfigItemReplicator.install.log /usr/bin/bash: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert string 'NULL' where there is a null value

I have an input file having 7 fields delimited by , eg : 1,ABC,hg,1,2,34,3 2,hj,YU,2,3,4, 3,JU,kl,4,5,7, 4,JK,KJ,3,56,4,5 The seventh field here in some lines is empty, whereas the other lines there is a value. How do I insert string NULL at this location (7th loc) for these lines where... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zilch
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace characters with random characters

I've got a file (numbers.txt) filled with numbers and I want to replace each one of those numbers with a new random number between 0 and 9. This is my script so far: #!/bin/bash rand=$(($RANDOM % 9)) sed -i s//$rand/g numbers.txtThe problem that I have is that it replaces each number with just... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellocatfood
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null 2>&1 Versus /dev/null 2>1

How are these two different? They both prevent output and error from being displayed. I don't see the use of the "&" echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>&1 echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting standard out to /dev/null goes to file "/dev/null" instead

I apologize if this question has been answered else where or is too elementary. I ran across a KSH script (long unimportant story) that does this: if ; then CAS_SRC_LOG="/var/log/cas_src.log 2>&1" else CAS_SRC_LOG="/dev/null 2>&1" fithen does this: /usr/bin/echo "heartbeat:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbmorrisonjr
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first 2 characters and last two characters of each line

here's what im trying to do. i have a file containing lines similar to this: data.txt: 1hsRmRsbHRiSFZNTTA1dlEyMWFkbU5wUW5CSlIyeDFTVU5SYjJOSFRuWmpia0ZuWXpKV2FHTnRU 1lKUnpWMldrZFZaMG95V25oYQpSelEyWTBka2QyRklhSHBrUjA1b1kwUkJkd3BOVXpWM1lVaG5k... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting characters after a given string and reporting the characters in the row below --sed

I have this fastq file: @M04961:22:000000000-B5VGJ:1:1101:9280:7106 1:N:0:86 GGGGGGGGGGGGCATGAAAACATACAAACCGTCTTTCCAGAAATTGTTCCAAGTATCGGCAACAGCTTTATCAATACCATGAAAAATATCAACCACACCA +test-1 GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGCCGGGGGFF,EDFFGEDFG,@DGGCGGEGGG7DCGGGF68CGFFFGGGG@CGDGFFDFEFEFF:30CGAFFDFEFF8CAF;;8... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies
SLAPD-NULL(5)                                                   File Formats Manual                                                  SLAPD-NULL(5)

NAME
slapd-null - Null backend to slapd SYNOPSIS
/etc/ldap/slapd.conf DESCRIPTION
The Null backend to slapd(8) is surely the most useful part of slapd: - Searches return success but no entries. - Compares return compareFalse. - Updates return success (unless readonly is on) but do nothing. - Binds other than as the rootdn fail unless the database option "bind on" is given. - The slapadd(8) and slapcat(8) tools are equally exciting. Inspired by the /dev/null device. CONFIGURATION
This slapd.conf option applies to the NULL backend database. That is, it must follow a "database null" line and come before any subsequent "database" lines. Other database options are described in the slapd.conf(5) manual page. bind <on/off> Allow binds as any DN in this backend's suffix, with any password. The default is "off". EXAMPLE
Here is a possible slapd.conf extract using the Null backend: database null suffix "cn=Nothing" bind on ACCESS CONTROL
The null backend does not honor any of the access control semantics described in slapd.access(5). FILES
/etc/ldap/slapd.conf default slapd configuration file SEE ALSO
slapd.conf(5), slapd(8), slapadd(8), slapcat(8). OpenLDAP 2012/04/23 SLAPD-NULL(5)