Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Strange error
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Strange error Post 82168 by matrixmadhan on Monday 29th of August 2005 12:31:02 PM
Old 08-29-2005
Strange error

Hi all,

i executed a script.

cat <filename> | grep <pattern> | awk '{print $1}' | read a

i get the answer when i execute it in the shell env (no problem with that)
as
./<name>.ksh

when i tried the same in cron (as an entry in cron)
value is not being read in the variable a through read statement.

the variable a remains an empty variable.

Can u please help me with this.
Thanks.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange error.. help

Hi, When I give the following $ ps -ef | grep `echo $var1` | grep -v "grep `echo $var1`" | awk '{print $3}' | grep -v `echo $var1 80892 But when I give the following (made as command substitution) , I get error $var2=`ps -ef | grep `echo $var1` |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: preetikate
2 Replies

2. Programming

strange error

hi, when i try to compile, i got the following error message, what does it mean? $gcc auto.cpp /usr/tmp/ccmuE12B.o(.eh_frame+0x11): undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_v0' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: laila63
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ed strange error message

When I start ed as regular user, following message is displayed: $ed ERROR: tempnam failed: Permission denied $ I think, following error produced in vi when search results from previous error: No previous regular expression Setting TMPDIR variable cause no effect. As root all works... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: frenki
6 Replies

4. AIX

Strange error with file access permissions

All, I am trying to copy some data from /admin/reports/Sept/ccn/c_ivsstr01 to /home/users/myhomedir and I am getting an error I have never seen before: The file access permissions do not allow the specified action. The permissions on the file are -rw-r--r-- and I am the owner of the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kjbaumann
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange error on mpack from cronjob

I have a shell script which mails a file. It runs fine when executed at prompt, but from cronjob the following line gives an error: $ /opt/local/bin/mpack -s "TTW posts " $FILEPATH/ttw.html myemail@gmail.com Error is : (some junk chars) followed by No such file or directory. Before this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sentinel
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange error while splitting a file

Hi folks I am facing a strange error while splitting a '|' delimited file 'file1' based on column '3'. (File is 40 columns wide). I wish to create as many files 'file_n' from the file 'file1' as distinct values of the column '3'; in 'file1' eg: file1: qwe|qweqw|123|fg... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: powerslave
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange error in bash script

Howdy all, I have a scritp that does a sqldump. But for some goofy reason, a certain part of it behaves uber strange. It does a daily dump of my sql, according to parameters I enter in hardcode. The script is: #!/bin/bash APP_NAME="app_com_site" wikiname="wiki_com_site" ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saariko
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange Error

I am receiving an error when i type the command dmesg sudo: sysmon : pam_authenticate: Conversation failure ; TTY=unknown ; PWD=/export/home/sysmon ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/opt/scripts/cronmgmt/synch_crontab.ksh Whats it about and how can I remove it ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange fork error while running script

more run.sh !/bin/bash input="data.txt" while IFS= read -r var do startdir="/web/logs" searchterm=$(echo $var | awk -F'=' '{print $1}') replaceterm=$(echo $var | awk -F'=' '{print $2}') find "$startdir" -type f -exec grep -l "$searchterm" {} + | while read file do if sed -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)