Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to delete a particular text without opening the file. Post 82133 by stevefox on Monday 29th of August 2005 07:25:47 AM
Old 08-29-2005
Question New question

Thanks Vino,

I have another question.

Could someone tell me how to delete a string from a line in a specific position using sed or other editors which doesn't require files to be opened?

e.g. I have a file called myfile.txt which contains three lines of text below and I want all of the lines to have 5 characters or less.

a b c d e

I want the result to be like below:

a b c

Any help will be appreciated.

BTW please let me know if you have any recommended sites for learning unix commands such as above.

Cheers
Steve

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete away text in a file?

I have this xml file which is call p.txt and it contains the follwing: 16:13:56 Msg send to Queue=<pregate xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"> <system_c>HPREGATE</system_c> <trans_c>HSPG</trans_c> <trans_dt>20060105161333</trans_dt> <user_id_m></user_id_m> ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevercalz
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete file without opening vi

hi there guys, wonder if any gurus can help me out on this one... try searching the past threads but cant find anything. i have this huge file but when i use vi to open it it gives me the following error: <"pmrepserver.txt""/var/tmp/Ex86200" There is not enough space in the file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lweegp
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent help needed to delete some text without opening the file in unix

Hi To delete some text in 2 files in line1 ( not complete line) in unix without opening the files. For example: source file is like this <?xml version="1.0"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyaranoid
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Delete string without opening a file

Hi Experts, I have several big size file arround 900 MB. From the file I need to delete some common strings but without opening the file. here is example- in file <?xml version='1.0' encoding='ISO-8859-1' standalone='no'?> <LogItems> <log logid="8423b5ae190810252359350480/1/1/1"> ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
6 Replies

5. Web Development

opening text files with javascript

Im aware under IE, javascript uses ActiveX Objects to open up and manipulate text files, excel files etc.. How abouts would I open a text file using javascript in Firefox ? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete block of text in one file based on list in another file

Hi all I currently use the following in shell. #!/bin/sh while read LINE do perl -i -ne "$/ = ''; print if !m'Using archive: ${LINE}'ms;" "datafile" done < "listfile" NOTE the single quote delimiters in the expression. It's highly likely the 'LINE' may very well have characters in it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Festus Hagen
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete lines of a text file based on another text file?

I have 2 TXT files with with 8 columns in them(tab separated). First file has 2000 entries whereas 2nd file has 300 entries. The first file has ALL the lines of second file. Now I need to remove those 300 lines (which are in both files) from first file so that first file's line count become... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

^H characters appear when opening text file using vi - RHEL

Version Info: $ cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.8 (Tikanga) $ $ uname -a Linux stryker138 2.6.18-308.13.1.el5 #1 SMP Thu Jul 26 05:45:09 EDT 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux I redirected manpage of ksh command's output to a text file as shown... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read a file without opening the file and delete last line?

I have file called "text". The contents are as below : aaa bbb ccc ddd eee ffff ddd hhhh iiii I want to read this file without opening and and delete the last line. How can it be done? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_hunter
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete records based on a text file from a text file

Hi Folks, I am a novice and need to build a script in bash. I have 2 text files data.txt file is big file, column 2 is the we need to search and delete in the output. The filter file contains the rows to be deleted. Data.txt state city zone Alabama Huntsville 4 California SanDiego 3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
3 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)