Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cd
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Cd Post 8212 by PxT on Monday 8th of October 2001 11:17:28 AM
Old 10-08-2001
Quote:
Originally posted by devnul
Or maybe something with POSIX, I dunno... I'm just rambling....
I got curious so I did some digging on Usenet, and came up with a similar thread on comp.unix.questions. The ultimate answer to that thread was that it is part of the POSIX.2 standard. All builtins must also exist as scripts or binaries in the filesystem. They do not have to do anything, but they must exist. The logic behind this requirement is still a mystery, but hopefully we can close this thread now... Smilie

PTHREAD_DETACH(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					 PTHREAD_DETACH(3)

NAME
pthread_detach -- detach a thread LIBRARY
POSIX Threads Library (libpthread, -lpthread) SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_detach(pthread_t thread); DESCRIPTION
The pthread_detach() function is used to indicate to the implementation that storage for the thread thread can be reclaimed when the thread terminates. If thread has not terminated, pthread_detach() will not cause it to terminate. The effect of multiple pthread_detach() calls on the same target thread is unspecified. RETURN VALUES
If successful, the pthread_detach() function will return zero. Otherwise an error number will be returned to indicate the error. Note that the function does not change the value of errno as it did for some drafts of the standard. These early drafts also passed a pointer to pthread_t as the argument. Beware! ERRORS
The pthread_detach() function will fail if: [EINVAL] The implementation has detected that the value specified by thread does not refer to a joinable thread. [ESRCH] No thread could be found corresponding to that specified by the given thread ID, thread. SEE ALSO
pthread_join(3) STANDARDS
The pthread_detach() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9945-1:1996 (``POSIX.1''). BSD
April 4, 1996 BSD