Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers VMWare Workstation for home lab Post 82080 by vedder191 on Saturday 27th of August 2005 08:19:58 PM
Old 08-27-2005
VMWare Workstation for home lab

I was wondering if anyone has used VMWare Workstation? I wanted to practice and learn Unix in a networking environment and have my own home lab. However room and money prevent me from buying several computers to do so. Any input would help thank you.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

NIS on vmware workstation

Hi Admins, I just have a doubt on NIS that, is it possible to run NIS on vmware workstation running more than 1 solaris instances. i.e. can we setup one solaris instance as master and others as slaves...?? I have vista on my laptop. I am concern about the domain name it will ask while... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
8 Replies

2. Hardware

Electricity Savings for home lab

So, I have a kindof off the wall question. I've got 10 computers which I inherited from a charter school that closed that I did their admin work for. They're not servers, just workstations with ubuntu server running on them. I had them all up and running at one point... but crimineys the load on my... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtollefson
8 Replies

3. Linux

vmware workstation

i have following :- fedora 16 x 64bit kernel 3.2.7-1 vmware workstation 8.0.2. Steps to install vmware workstation to access ESX machine 1- sh vmware name.bundle 2- setup started and completed with out any warning. 3- when i type "vmware " then "VMware Module Updater Started" and the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: engrtahir2007
2 Replies

4. AIX

Setup hacmp on lpar with a hmc for home lab

Unix Guys i want to setup a lab in my house for learning, i want to setup and hacmp and a seperate server where i can setup 2 lpars and then cluster those 2 lpars and setup them up for failover what is the cheapest way to achive this. my objective is to learn hmc -> managed server via... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: asyed123
7 Replies

5. AIX

Free test appication for HACMP home Lab

Hi Everyone, I'll be setting up a home lab for HACMP to play with it as much as I can and learn through out. I already have read old threads about it. My only concern is that I want to install an application on the nodes and then do a failover test to see if the application moves over. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uzair_rock
4 Replies
PICOLISP(1)							   User Commands						       PICOLISP(1)

NAME
pil, picolisp - a fast, lightweight Lisp interpreter SYNOPSIS
pil [arguments ...] [-] [arguments ...] [+] picolisp [arguments ...] [-] [arguments ...] [+] DESCRIPTION
PicoLisp is a Lisp interpreter with a small memory footprint, yet relatively high execution speed. It combines an elegant and powerful lan- guage with built-in database functionality. pil is the startup front-end for the interpreter. It takes care of starting the binary base system and loading a useful runtime environ- ment. picolisp is just the bare interpreter binary. It is usually called in stand-alone scripts, using the she-bang notation in the first line, passing the minimal environment in lib.l and loading additional files as needed: #!/usr/bin/picolisp /usr/lib/picolisp/lib.l (load "@ext.l" "myfiles/lib.l" "myfiles/foo.l") (do ... something ...) (bye) INVOCATION
PicoLisp has no pre-defined command line flags; applications are free to define their own. Any built-in or user-level Lisp function can be invoked from the command line by prefixing it with a hyphen. Examples for built-in functions useful in this context are version (print the version number) or bye (exit the interpreter). Therefore, a minimal call to print the version number and then immediately exit the inter- preter would be: $ pil -version -bye Any other argument (not starting with a hyphen) should be the name of a file to be loaded. If the first character of a path or file name is an at-mark, it will be substituted with the path to the installation directory. All arguments are evaluated from left to right, then an interactive read-eval-print loop is entered (with a colon as prompt). A single hyphen stops the evaluation of the rest of the command line, so that the remaining arguments may be processed under program con- trol. If the very last command line argument is a single plus character, debugging mode is switched on at interpreter startup, before evaluating any of the command line arguments. A minimal interactive session is started with: $ pil + Here you can access the reference manual : (doc) and the online documentation for most functions, : (doc 'vi) or directly inspect their sources: : (vi 'doc) The interpreter can be terminated with : (bye) or by typing Ctrl-D. FILES
Runtime files are maintained in the ~/.pil directory: ~/.pil/tmp/<pid>/ Process-local temporary directories ~/.pil/history The line editor's history file BUGS
PicoLisp doesn't try to protect you from every possible programming error ("You asked for it, you got it"). AUTHOR
Alexander Burger <abu@software-lab.de> RESOURCES
Home page: http://home.picolisp.com Download: http://www.software-lab.de/down.html PICOLISP(1)