Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ?script/cmds 2 list open files???? Post 820 by bn80865 on Saturday 20th of January 2001 05:09:00 PM
Old 01-20-2001
Question

I would like to have the commands or a scripts that will show me files that are not open by any process and meet a certain pattern (ie arch.log1_117512.dbf).

Basically I a wanting to delete all arched redo logs that oracle has popped out execpt for the current one it is writting to. I am assuming that the ones it is done writting to are not opened by any process.

I have searched through my books and I can not find anything telling me how to determine if a file is open and who has it open.

A breif explanation of any commands given would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Harry Britton
::email removed::

Last edited by oombera; 02-18-2004 at 10:54 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

What's the difference: 'nuhup cmds' Vs 'cmds &'

Hello, Case: If I want to run a script background and logout, which command should I use ? 1)# ./script_name & 2)# nohup script_name 3)# nohup script_name & And any differences ? What happens if I redirect the output to a file? I learned somewhere that the (1) format will stop... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: billshu
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Using sudo for specific cmds

I've been asked to provide access to my system for another group of individuals to perform WebSphere and Portal tasks (stop/start specifically). I run both as root (we can debate this one later) and so know I have to figure out a way for these individuals to start and stop WebSphere and Portal as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scottsl
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

differnce between these cmds

Hi all, I would like to know the difference between these commands /usr/lib/fs/hsfs/mount -F /dev/lofi/1 /usr and mount -F hsfs /dev/lofi/1 /usr In the first case absolute path is specified and in the next the cmd with options ,whats the differnce. PS:am sorry ,coz this had been... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wrapster
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run cmds after changing to a new env (shell) in a shell script

Hi, I am using HP-UNIX. I have a requirement as below I have to change env twice like: cadenv <env> cadenv <env> ccm start -d /dbpath ccm tar -xvf *.tar ccm rcv .... mv *.tar BACKUP but after I do the first cadenv <env> , I am unable to execute any of the later commands . ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charlei
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need a script to find socials in files and output a list of those files

I am trying to find socail security numbers in files in (and under) a specific directory and output a list of the files where they are found... the format would be with no dashes just 9 numeric characters in a row. I have tried this: find /DirToLookIn -exec grep '\{9\}' /dev/null {} \; >>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NewSolarisAdmin
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

open 2 files and compare values script - urgent

Hi gurus I have two csv files that are outputs. The file contains data similar to s.no,number1,number2,date1 -------------------------------- 1, a123,482.29,11/28/07 13:00 2,a124,602.7,9/24/07 14:00 3,a125,266.93,10/9/07 16.48 4,a126,785.15,11/14/07 16:08 <file 2> s.no name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: inkyponky
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with script to open and compare csv files

We are testing an application that accesses two tables: A and B. I am to write a script to validate the ouput files of this application.The application marks any account that has become overdue as per rule. When it runs, it updates the overdue flag in the A table according to the following rules: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: inkyponky
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using programs to open files from within the script?

I am suppose to make a program that cuts the extension off of a file. It uses that .ext to decide which program needs to be used to open the file. This only finds the name of the program from a list of programs I made. My problem is when it has the name of the program it needs to use, how can I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dordrix
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to open files and write into new one

Hello! I am a real beginner in scripting, so I am struggling with a really easy task! I want to write a script to concatenate several text files onto each other and generate a new file. I wanted the first argument to be the name of the new file, so: ./my_script.sh new_file file1.txt... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: malajedala
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find Error: rpmdb open failed on list of servers

Hello all, I have a task to patch red hat servers and some servers have a corrupted rpm database and return the error: Error: rpmdb open failed I know how to fix this when it occurs. What I'm hoping to do is scan a list of servers by IP and report back which server have this error. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: greavette
6 Replies
MEDIT(1)						      General Commands Manual							  MEDIT(1)

NAME
medit - text editor SYNOPSIS
medit [OPTION]... [FILES] DESCRIPTION
medit is a text editor. OPTIONS
-n, --new-app run new instance of medit. By default medit opens FILES (or creates a new document if none are given) in an existing instance of application -s, --use-session[=yes|no] load and save session. By default medit does it when -n is not used. If this option is not given on command line then medit uses the corresponding preferences setting. --pid PID use existing instance with process id PID. --app-name NAME use instance name NAME. If an instance with this name is already running, then it will send files given on the command line to that instance and exit. -e, --encoding ENCODING use provided character encoding to open the file -l, --line LINE open file and position cursor on line LINE. Alternatively line number may be specified with filename, e.g. medit foo.txt:12 -r, --reload automatically reload opened file if it was modified on disk by another program. -w, --new-window open file in a new window. -t, --new-tab open file in a new tab. --log-file FILE write debug output into FILE. This option is only useful on Windows. --log-window show debug output in a log window. This option is only useful on Windows. --debug DOMAINS enable debug output for DOMAINS (if medit was compiled with --enable-debug option). --geometry WIDTHxHEIGHT --geometry WIDTHxHEIGHT+X+Y default window size and position. -h, --help show summary of options. -v, --version show program version. FILES list of files to open. Filenames may include line numbers after colon, e.g. /tmp/file.txt:200. Trailing colon is ignored. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
MEDIT_PID if set, it is used as --pid argument. When medit spawns a process (e.g. a DVI viewer) it sets MEDIT_PID to its own process id, so the child process may in turn simply use 'medit filename' to open a file (e.g. for inverse DVI search). CONTACT
http://mooedit.sourceforge.net/contact.html AUTHOR
Written and maintained by Yevgen Muntyan <emuntyan@users.sourceforge.net> September 2010 MEDIT(1)