Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Insert TAB in echo statement
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Insert TAB in echo statement Post 81961 by vertigo23 on Thursday 25th of August 2005 02:48:47 PM
Old 08-25-2005
Er, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
Use "print" instead:
What Unix are you using? In GNU/Linux, "print" is an alias to "run-mailcap" which certainly does not do what you're saying it does. It doesn't exist at all in OpenBSD, which is the other Unix I've got access to at the moment.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to echo a <tab> space?

I've tried this: echo "${bold}User${norm} : u"\t"${bold}All Users ${norm} : a\t" and i got this output: Specific User : u\tAll User: a\t (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: laila63
14 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to insert tab at specified column.HELP

I have input like: 1234567890 cut -c1-3,6-7,9-10 input > output Now I got 1236790. I want to insert space between each cut. So the output like: 123 67 90 Can anybody help? Thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sslr
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: how to insert tab?

Hi, I'm using the following to insert lines into file: sed ${rowNr}i'\ first row\ second row\ third row\ ' file.txt How can I add tab in front of each added line? "\t" or actual TAB does not seem to work? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Juha
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How is use sselect statement o/p in insert statement.

Hi All, I am using Unix ksh script. I need to insert values to a table using the o/p from a slelect statement. Can anybody Help! My script looks like tihs. ---`sqlplus -s username/password@SID << EOF set heading off set feedback off set pages 0 insert into ${TB_NAME}_D... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkosaraju
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert LF and TAB for formatting

trying to insert a LF and 2 TABs for this: sed 's/<td><\/td>/<td>\n\t\t<\/td>/' infile. but, I'm not getting the syntax for inserting the LF and TABs correct (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to echo space or tab delimited values into rows?

Hi, I have the following code: LIST=`ls | grep '.sql$'` echo $LIST The above code will give me something like.. file1.sh file2.sh file3.sh file4.sh file5.sh I want to display the values into rows using echo like... file1.sh file2.sh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

HOw to provide tab in a file using echo

Hi , I have a file with 5 colums each are sererated by tab. I am reading each line and adding extra two columns , the value depends on 5th column.. Now am trying to store each and every record in another file.. using the command echo $line $6thcol $7th col $line - readin the each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arukuku
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

insert whitespace (tab) at start of each line

Hi all, I have this: begin data; dimensions nind=168 nloci=6; info BDT001.4 ( 1 , 1 ) ( 1 , 12 ) BDT003.4 ( 1 , 1 ) ( 12 , 12 ) BDT007.4 ( 1 , 1 ) ( 12 , 12 ) BDT009.4 ( 1 , 32 ) ( 12 , 22 ) etc, etc And need this: begin data; dimensions nind=168 nloci=6; info ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MDeBiasse
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vi - insert a tab between words?

I have several lines in a file that I want to replace a space with a tab. For example: 111047 Julie Jones email@email.com 111047 Julie Jones email@email.com I want to replace the space after the word "jones" with a tab. How do I achieve that in Vi? Please assist. Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlinelearner02
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Update statement into Insert statement in UNIX using awk, sed....

Hi folks, I have a scenario to convert the update statements into insert statements using shell script (awk, sed...) or in database using regex. I have a bunch of update statements with all columns in a file which I need to convert into insert statements. UPDATE TABLE_A SET COL1=1 WHERE... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev123
0 Replies
ECHO(1) 							   User Commands							   ECHO(1)

NAME
echo - display a line of text SYNOPSIS
echo [SHORT-OPTION]... [STRING]... echo LONG-OPTION DESCRIPTION
Echo the STRING(s) to standard output. -n do not output the trailing newline -e enable interpretation of backslash escapes -E disable interpretation of backslash escapes (default) --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If -e is in effect, the following sequences are recognized: \ backslash a alert (BEL)  backspace c produce no further output e escape f form feed new line carriage return horizontal tab v vertical tab NNN byte with octal value NNN (1 to 3 digits) xHH byte with hexadecimal value HH (1 to 2 digits) NOTE: your shell may have its own version of echo, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's docu- mentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by Brian Fox and Chet Ramey. REPORTING BUGS
Report echo bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report echo translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for echo is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and echo programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'echo invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.5 February 2011 ECHO(1)