Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Insert TAB in echo statement
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Insert TAB in echo statement Post 81930 by bakunin on Thursday 25th of August 2005 07:25:35 AM
Old 08-25-2005
as a beginner you won't perhaps know this (and, besides, this is most often ignored by even the most veteran UN*Xers): 'echo' should not be used. Use "print" instead:

print - "abc\tdef"

will do exactly what you want - regardless of what version of print you are using.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to echo a <tab> space?

I've tried this: echo "${bold}User${norm} : u"\t"${bold}All Users ${norm} : a\t" and i got this output: Specific User : u\tAll User: a\t (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: laila63
14 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to insert tab at specified column.HELP

I have input like: 1234567890 cut -c1-3,6-7,9-10 input > output Now I got 1236790. I want to insert space between each cut. So the output like: 123 67 90 Can anybody help? Thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sslr
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: how to insert tab?

Hi, I'm using the following to insert lines into file: sed ${rowNr}i'\ first row\ second row\ third row\ ' file.txt How can I add tab in front of each added line? "\t" or actual TAB does not seem to work? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Juha
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How is use sselect statement o/p in insert statement.

Hi All, I am using Unix ksh script. I need to insert values to a table using the o/p from a slelect statement. Can anybody Help! My script looks like tihs. ---`sqlplus -s username/password@SID << EOF set heading off set feedback off set pages 0 insert into ${TB_NAME}_D... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkosaraju
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert LF and TAB for formatting

trying to insert a LF and 2 TABs for this: sed 's/<td><\/td>/<td>\n\t\t<\/td>/' infile. but, I'm not getting the syntax for inserting the LF and TABs correct (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to echo space or tab delimited values into rows?

Hi, I have the following code: LIST=`ls | grep '.sql$'` echo $LIST The above code will give me something like.. file1.sh file2.sh file3.sh file4.sh file5.sh I want to display the values into rows using echo like... file1.sh file2.sh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

HOw to provide tab in a file using echo

Hi , I have a file with 5 colums each are sererated by tab. I am reading each line and adding extra two columns , the value depends on 5th column.. Now am trying to store each and every record in another file.. using the command echo $line $6thcol $7th col $line - readin the each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arukuku
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

insert whitespace (tab) at start of each line

Hi all, I have this: begin data; dimensions nind=168 nloci=6; info BDT001.4 ( 1 , 1 ) ( 1 , 12 ) BDT003.4 ( 1 , 1 ) ( 12 , 12 ) BDT007.4 ( 1 , 1 ) ( 12 , 12 ) BDT009.4 ( 1 , 32 ) ( 12 , 22 ) etc, etc And need this: begin data; dimensions nind=168 nloci=6; info ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MDeBiasse
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vi - insert a tab between words?

I have several lines in a file that I want to replace a space with a tab. For example: 111047 Julie Jones email@email.com 111047 Julie Jones email@email.com I want to replace the space after the word "jones" with a tab. How do I achieve that in Vi? Please assist. Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlinelearner02
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Update statement into Insert statement in UNIX using awk, sed....

Hi folks, I have a scenario to convert the update statements into insert statements using shell script (awk, sed...) or in database using regex. I have a bunch of update statements with all columns in a file which I need to convert into insert statements. UPDATE TABLE_A SET COL1=1 WHERE... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev123
0 Replies
DB2_LAST_INSERT_ID(3)							 1						     DB2_LAST_INSERT_ID(3)

db2_last_insert_id - Returns the auto generated ID of the last insert query that successfully executed on this connection

SYNOPSIS
string db2_last_insert_id (resource $resource) DESCRIPTION
Returns the auto generated ID of the last insert query that successfully executed on this connection. The result of this function is not affected by any of the following: o A single row INSERT statement with a VALUES clause for a table without an identity column. o A multiple row INSERT statement with a VALUES clause. o An INSERT statement with a fullselect. o A ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT statement. PARAMETERS
o $resource - A valid connection resource as returned from db2_connect(3) or db2_pconnect(3). The value of this parameter cannot be a state- ment resource or result set resource. RETURN VALUES
Returns the auto generated ID of last insert query that successfully executed on this connection. EXAMPLES
Example #1 A db2_last_insert_id(3) example The following example shows how to return the auto generated ID of last insert query that successfully executed on this connection. <?php $database = "SAMPLE"; $user = "db2inst1"; $password = "ibmdb2"; $conn = db2_connect($database, $user, $password); if($conn) { $createTable = "CREATE TABLE lastInsertID (id integer GENERATED BY DEFAULT AS IDENTITY, name varchar(20))"; $insertTable = "INSERT INTO lastInsertID (name) VALUES ('Temp Name')"; $stmt = @db2_exec($conn, $createTable); /* Checking for single row inserted. */ $stmt = db2_exec($conn, $insertTable); $ret = db2_last_insert_id($conn); if($ret) { echo "Last Insert ID is : " . $ret . " "; } else { echo "No Last insert ID. "; } db2_close($conn); } else { echo "Connection failed."; } ?> The above example will output: Last Insert ID is : 1 PHP Documentation Group DB2_LAST_INSERT_ID(3)