Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to get to a file and uncompress it Post 81898 by hamsasal on Thursday 25th of August 2005 12:47:12 AM
Old 08-25-2005
You can try

tar -xf Filename.tar to extract the original file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to uncompress .zip file?

Hi all, Can anyone tell me what tools / command can use to uncompress those *.zip file in HP-UX, thx. Bgds, Gordon (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fonggo
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uncompress command

I am trying to install SUN explorer program on solaris: I download the file SUNWexplo.tar.Z from sun.com, ftp to /tmp then try to uncompress it with the following command: uncompress SUNWexplo.tar.Z which gives the following error: uncompress: corrupt input I tried downloading the file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: niamo1
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Uncompress... me!!!!!! :)

Dear friends, i'm trying to uncompress an "...... tar.z" file. I'd readen that using the "uncompress" command it could be made but............... God! I can't!!!!! I tried a lot of times using the Terminal but the uncompress command doesn't obeys!!! :):) . Please i need to know how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gussiglo21
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

uncompress

Hi All, is it possible to uncompress on another directory ? At the moment I have my file to uncompress on /u07 that has 5GB free. When uncompressed it would be more then 6G , I want to send uncompressed file on another directory where I have more free space. is it possible ? How ? Many thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

uncompress command

on my suse linux, there is no compress and uncompress command. however, a program need these command to be installed properly. my question is how i can install these command and where to find them, thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredao
6 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

file zip,rar,tar,compress,uncompress,unzip,unrar

i want know how to compress and uncompress file using unix, compress uncompress,zip,unzip,rar,unrar,how its work and more about this.:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ismael xavier
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

uncompress a file and ftp

Hi Experts, Here is my piece of code-- #!/usr/bin/perl use Net::FTP; #use IO::Uncompress::Unzip qw(unzip $UnzipError) ; use IO::File ; print "Retrieving file from abc.com...\n"; $loginip='123.456.0.23'; $loginid='nt1234'; $loginpaswd='defgsljf';... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
6 Replies

8. Programming

Uncompress a gzip and bzip file using java on unix solaris environment

Hi, I need to uncompress a gzip and bzip file using java on unix solaris environment. I also need to retreive the header information of the file inorder to differentiate between gzip and bzip file. Please help Pooja (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wadhwa.pooja
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uncompress and ftp a file

i have a compressed file, i need to ftp this file to remote server. while ftp i should uncompress and send, but the uncompressed file shouldn't write in the local server file system. is there any options how to do this using a named pipes in ftp?? greatly appreciate your suggestions? Thanmks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fakru.y
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scp and uncompress on the file?

Hi, Is there any way to do scp and uncompress on the fly? At the moment, I am doing scp and then running uncompress of the .Z files in the background. I am wanting to be able to do scp and then have the uncompress the .Z file in the background. Any advice much appreciated. Thanks in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies
virt-tar-in(1)						      Virtualization Support						    virt-tar-in(1)

NAME
virt-tar-in - Unpack a tarball into a virtual machine disk image. SYNOPSIS
virt-tar-in -a disk.img data.tar /destination virt-tar-in -d domain data.tar /destination zcat data.tar.gz | virt-tar-in -d domain - /destination WARNING
Using "virt-tar-in" on live virtual machines can be dangerous, potentially causing disk corruption. The virtual machine must be shut down before you use this command. DESCRIPTION
"virt-tar-in" unpacks an uncompressed tarball into a virtual machine disk image or named libvirt domain. The first parameter is the tar file. Use "-" to read the tar file from standard input. The second parameter is the absolute target directory to unpack into. EXAMPLES
Upload a home directory to a guest: virt-tar-in -d MyGuest homes.tar /home JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "tar-in" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-make-fs(1), virt-tar-out(1), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 virt-tar-in(1)