Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Is there any non graphical tool that make selective merge between text files? Post 81828 by Sergiu-IT on Wednesday 24th of August 2005 12:03:52 PM
Old 08-24-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by umen
whitout using awk / sad and so on?
cat file1.txt | grep "selection" > new_file.txt
cat file2.txt | grep "other_selection" >> new_file.txt

Of course, you can use awk instead of grep and awk or sed to change the content of the files.
Or, if you don't want to make any change/selection, cat file1.txt file2.txt >> new_file.txt

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

merge text files

Hello. Could you please help to know the command to merge multiple text files into one? I am thinking to use: cat f1.txt f2.txt f3.txt > f4.txt Is it okay to use cat command for same purpose - Or could there be any disadvantage in using it? Thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Have several text files and want to merge into a single

Hello, I have several files that begin with db. in my directory and I would like to first take it from a specific word starting from $TTL until the end of the contents then do the same all the way down the directory then merge them into one txt file. Is this possible? I am using cygwin with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: richsark
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to merge selective content between files using awk?

Hello, I'm new to awk. I've 2 files where H stands for header and T for trailer. The number following T gives the record count in a file. file 1 looks like this: H|A|B|C 1|2|3 1|2|4 2|3|5 T|3 file 2 looks like this: H|A|B|C 4|5|6 7|8|9 T|2 Need to merge the above 2 files such... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skumre
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Recommend graphical monitoring tool for sun

Hi folks I am looking for tool which have graphical presentation for cpu and disk characteristics. Cpu is the least of the concern, disk is the most. We use san devices and i know which id's correspond to it. But the problem is that at least one of the tool I tried to use - Quest Sportlight does... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggolub
6 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Best graphical video converting tool for ubuntu

hi, is there any video converting tool that can convert all(almost) video formats. I want to convert from mp4/mkv to divx with file size limit.. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhusudankh
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge the multiple text files into one file

Hi All, I am trying to merge all the text files into one file using below snippet cat /home/Temp/Test/Log/*.txt >> all.txt But it seems it is not working. I have multiple files like Output_ServerName1.txt, Output_ServreName2.txt I want to merge each file into one single file and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsour
6 Replies

7. Red Hat

Recommendations on GRAPHICAL Monitoring Tool

Need assistance in finding a Graphical Monitoring tool open source for Centos , REDHAT linux which doesnt require "root" to compile the tool. Tool that does performance monitoring for Disk usage, CPU, Memory ,Network stats Need install and configure steps as well . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge selective columns from files based on common key

Hi, I am trying to selectively merge two files based on keys reported in the 1st column. File1: #file1-header1 file1-header2 111 qwe rtz uio 198 asd fgh jkl 165 yxc 789 poi uzt rew 89 lkj File2: #file2-header2 file2-header2 165 ghz nko2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dovah
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge two text files (oh no, not again!)

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I have always made good use of all the wise hints shown here. But this time I'm struggling with an issue that is driving me crazy. I have two text files, I have to merge them based on the first column, resulting file must contain all record from the first file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: emare
4 Replies
XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)					      General Commands Manual						 XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)

NAME
xclip-copyfile, xclip-cutfile, xclip-pastefile - copy and move files via the X clipboard SYNOPSIS
xclip-copyfile [-p] FILES... xclip-cutfile [-p] FILES... xclip-pastefile DESCRIPTION
xclip-copyfile copies files into the X clipboard, recursing into directories. xclip-cutfile copies the files, but also deletes them afterwards. -p preserve path formation xclip-pastefile pastes the files out of the clipboard EXAMPLES
Copying a file to a remote host [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ echo "A file created on ${HOSTNAME}" > file1 [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ xclip-copyfile file1 [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ xclip-pastefile file1 [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ cat file1 A file created on maggie.lkpg.cendio.se Copying an entire tree structure [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ xclip-copyfile doc [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~/tmp]$ xclip-pastefile doc/ doc/letter-mom-april.txt doc/file1 doc/letter-dad-march.txt Copying files with preserved path information [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ xclip-copyfile -p /etc/sysconfig/grub tar: Removing leading `/' from member names [sofie.homeip.net ~/tmp]$ xclip-pastefile etc/sysconfig/grub [sofie.homeip.net ~/tmp]$ ls etc/sysconfig/grub etc/sysconfig/grub Moving files [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ ls letter-brother-may.txt letter-brother-may.txt [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ xclip-cutfile letter-brother-may.txt [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ ls letter-brother-may.txt ls: cannot access letter-brother-may.txt: No such file or directory [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ cd doc [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ xclip-pastefile letter-brother-may.txt AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Maximilian Gass <mxey@cloudconnected.org> for the Debian project. It may be used for everything else, of course. XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)