Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Issues using ssh from crontab to run remote script from Post 81794 by bakunin on Wednesday 24th of August 2005 07:53:44 AM
Old 08-24-2005
I'm in no way a "ssh-guru", so this is just a suggestion:

A script or command issued from the commandline inherits the environment of the login session, because it is a fork()-ed process. A cron-job has only the init-process (PID 1) as father and inherits nothing (init is notoriously poor on UN*X systems ;-)) ), so maybe problem is a PATH variable lacking or something such.

Solution in this case would be to create a file which sets a standard environment and source that in at the beginning of the script - this is good practice anyway and avoids all the hassles with broken/changed/nonexisting environments in scripts.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Closing ssh when process run on remote

Hi! I currently run a very long script (two hour left...) on a remote computer through a ssh session. I wonder whats happend if I close the ssh session, or even, the terminal. Is the script running on remote will stop? Thanks for your answers, Tp (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tipi
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to run a script over ssh, having issues with tty assignment

Hey folks! I'm trying to run a tcpdump command that monitors for possible malicious traffic. I want to be able to run this on any of several remote boxes that I monitor which all have different capture interfaces. I've gotten the script to the point where it logs into the box and attempts to run... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: JASI
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ability to run sas prog on remote server using SSH

Hi, I am trying to run a sas prog on a remote server using ssh. I have got the command that I am using in the below paragraph. With it, I was able to run shell scripts but when I tried 'sas' it errored out. I have got my keys exchanged so when I say ssh serverA I automatically connect to my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolavi
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH Remote login to VIO's (padmin) and run oem_setup_env

Hello all, I have been trying to run commands that collect basic info from the VIO's The issue I am having is setting the env with the "oem_setup_env" after I login as "padmin". I usually do the following: ssh server command ssh root@server date , but I need to login set the env and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfezz1
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to use ssh to run shell script on a remote machine?

how to use ssh to run shell script on a remote machine? ssh user@remote sh ./script.unx i ran the above command ./script.unx HAS NOHUP COMMAND IN ITS BODY, I AM GETTING ERROR AS NOHUP NOT FOUND... i tried to run that script from remote server, its working fine do ineed to set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
6 Replies

6. HP-UX

Remote ssh execution and .profile issues

Greetings, i'm currently having issues in successfully executing a script from one server to other, and i'm cracking my nut in understanding why. Let's get started with the default info: Server A: briozzo@A:/home/briozzo $ uname -a HP-UX A B.11.31 U ia64 2787251109 unlimited-user license ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbriozzo
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script fails to run properly when run from CRONTAB

Hello all, I'm trying to write a script to gather and send data and it works just fine at the bash command line, but when executing from CRON, it does not run properly. My scripting skills are pretty limited and there's probably a better way, but as I said it works at the command line, but... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: rusman
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run commands on remote server using ssh password less authentication?

Hi, I need to run a script located in a directory on remote server by using ssh authentication from my local unix server. Can anyone help me in this. I have tried the below command. It worked for echo command but when i tried to open a file using cat command it is showing "cat: cannot open... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk250
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remote script over ssh execution issues.

If I execute below code I am able to get string from column8 and column10 about a process. serverA1$> ps -ef | grep rotate | grep 'config' | awk '{print $8" "$10}' /<Oracle_home>/ohs/bin/odl_rotatelogs -h:/<app_Home>/config/OHS/ohs1/component_events.xml_ohs1... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
12 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Run a script at remote server without ssh password

Hello, What I want to do is to run a file on remote server by running a script at localhost but script should not ask ssh password of my remote server when script is executed. Scenario1: To copy files from server2 to data server:$ scp -r root@server2_ip:/var/www/html/*.* /var/ When I enter... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
6 Replies
SERVICE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							SERVICE(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script or systemd unit in as predictable an environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with the current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT, or the name of a systemd unit. The existence of a systemd unit of the same name as a script in /etc/init.d will cause the unit to take precedence over the init.d script. The supported val- ues of COMMAND depend on the invoked script. service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS to the init script unmodified. For systemd units, start, stop, status, and reload are passed through to their systemctl/initctl equivalents. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start command. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. The status is [ + ] for running services, [ - ] for stopped services and [ ? ] for services without a status command. This option only calls status for sysvinit jobs. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. /{lib,run,etc}/systemd/system The directories containing systemd units. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, LANGUAGE, LC_CTYPE, LC_NUMERIC, LC_TIME, LC_COLLATE, LC_MONETARY, LC_MESSAGES, LC_PAPER, LC_NAME, LC_ADDRESS, LC_TELEPHONE, LC_MEA- SUREMENT, LC_IDENTIFICATION, LC_ALL, TERM, PATH The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton update-rc.d(8) init(8) invoke-rc.d(8) systemctl(1) AUTHOR
Miloslav Trmac <mitr@redhat.com>, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> Licence: GNU Public Licence v2 (GPLv2) COPYRIGHT
2006 Red Hat, Inc., Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> Jan 206 SERVICE(8)