Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How to make a C code reentrant? Post 8178 by neelam on Monday 8th of October 2001 01:20:50 AM
Old 10-08-2001
Question How to make a C code reentrant?

Dear reader,

This is a query related to multiuser environment. I have a piece of code written in C. Now I want to make this code as reentrant and execute on several trminals at the same time, such that there exists only one copy of code in the memory.

Please tell me..
1. What are the parameters required to make a code reentrant?
2. Can we use the same parameters on a linux environment?

Thanking you,

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Need direction to make code for cellphone in C,C++ or Perl

Hi All, I need a help from the techie guys in this group.Actually, i need to make a code which can make wallpaper and ringtone for a mobile phone using any method. I know C,C++ and perl langauges but doesnot having much knowledge of JAVA. So can anybody tell me that whether i can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: basileis
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please make this code elegant.

Hi All, Following is the part of my script.It does contain many for loops and is not elegant. Please feel free to suggest any changes to make this elegant. Thanks! nua7 for i in `ls $CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib/*.jar`; do LOCALCLASSPATH="$LOCALCLASSPATH:$i" done for i in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to port a package to huge source code having its own make and compilers

In general for intalling a package like we do ./configure, make , make install But if we want to integrate the package with a huge source base what are the things to be taken care could some one have a light on purpose of ./configure , make and make install along with above question. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Gani Network Driver Won't Install - make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make targ...

I attached a README file that I will refer to. I successfully completed everything in the README file until step 4. # pwd /gani/gani-2.4.4 # ls COPYING Makefile.macros gem.c Makefile Makefile.sparc_gcc gem.h Makefile.amd64_gcc ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bradj47
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

trying to make an AWK code for ordering numbers in a column from least to highest

Hi all, I have a large column of numbers like 5.6789 2.4578 9.4678 13.5673 1.6589 ..... I am trying to make an awk code so that awk can easily go through the column and arrange the numbers from least to highest like 1.6589 2.4578 5.6789 ....... can anybody suggest, how can I do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananyob
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to Make Sql Plus Exit with an Error Code

Dear all, How to make sqlplus command to exit with an apt error code in bash script, It always returns 0 for me. Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vetrivendhan
9 Replies

7. Programming

Help with make this Fortran code more efficient (in HPC manner)

Hi there, I had run into some fortran code to modify. Obviously, it was written without thinking of high performance computing and not parallelized... Now I would like to make the code "on track" and parallel. After a whole afternoon thinking, I still cannot find where to start. Can any one... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: P_E_M_Lee
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Code to make sure Script runs only on sunday -

Hi I have written a script which restarts the application , I want to add a piece of code in my script , to make sure this gets executed only on sunday . So that even if someone runs it on any other day by mistake it should exit throwing an error message . Can someone please assist what will... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: honey26
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make this code working?

Hi Gurus, I wrote a simple code, but it doesn't work, can body help me to fix the issue. awk -F',' 'BEGIN{n=0}{ NR == FNR {fname;next} { if ($3==fname) n=1 } END{if n==0} }' tmpsrc srcfile.txt Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
4 Replies
PUTENV(3P)						     POSIX Programmer's Manual							PUTENV(3P)

PROLOG
This manual page is part of the POSIX Programmer's Manual. The Linux implementation of this interface may differ (consult the correspond- ing Linux manual page for details of Linux behavior), or the interface may not be implemented on Linux. NAME
putenv - change or add a value to an environment SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> int putenv(char *string); DESCRIPTION
The putenv() function shall use the string argument to set environment variable values. The string argument should point to a string of the form " name= value ". The putenv() function shall make the value of the environment variable name equal to value by altering an existing variable or creating a new one. In either case, the string pointed to by string shall become part of the environment, so altering the string shall change the environment. The space used by string is no longer used once a new string which defines name is passed to putenv(). The putenv() function need not be reentrant. A function that is not required to be reentrant is not required to be thread-safe. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, putenv() shall return 0; otherwise, it shall return a non-zero value and set errno to indicate the error. ERRORS
The putenv() function may fail if: ENOMEM Insufficient memory was available. The following sections are informative. EXAMPLES
Changing the Value of an Environment Variable The following example changes the value of the HOME environment variable to the value /usr/home. #include <stdlib.h> ... static char *var = "HOME=/usr/home"; int ret; ret = putenv(var); APPLICATION USAGE
The putenv() function manipulates the environment pointed to by environ, and can be used in conjunction with getenv(). See exec(), for restrictions on changing the environment in multi-threaded applications. This routine may use malloc() to enlarge the environment. A potential error is to call putenv() with an automatic variable as the argument, then return from the calling function while string is still part of the environment. The setenv() function is preferred over this function. RATIONALE
The standard developers noted that putenv() is the only function available to add to the environment without permitting memory leaks. FUTURE DIRECTIONS
None. SEE ALSO
exec(), getenv(), malloc(), setenv(), the Base Definitions volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, <stdlib.h> COPYRIGHT
Portions of this text are reprinted and reproduced in electronic form from IEEE Std 1003.1, 2003 Edition, Standard for Information Technol- ogy -- Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX), The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6, Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc and The Open Group. In the event of any discrepancy between this version and the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard, the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard is the referee document. The original Standard can be obtained online at http://www.opengroup.org/unix/online.html . IEEE
/The Open Group 2003 PUTENV(3P)