Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Passing Parameters and getting values back from a c program to Shell script Post 81523 by blowtorch on Monday 22nd of August 2005 03:12:10 AM
Old 08-22-2005
Check man popen.. jim's suggestion.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing parameters from a shell script to sqlplus

Hi , I want to pass parameters from a shell script to a sql script and use the parameter in the sql query ..and then I want to spool a particular select query on to my unix box... for 4 different locations by writing only one sql script Right now no file is generated on the unix box...it is a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Values from a shell script

Hi all I want to know how to pass value from one shell script to another suppose i have script named A.This 'A.sh' calls 'B.sh' .Now some calculations are done by B.sh ..Say in variable X. Now i want to pass the value of this X variable to 'A.sh'... A.sh ----> B.sh ( X variable ) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhananjaysk
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing oracle parameters back to Shell

Hi All, Does anyone have any solutions for passing back multiple variables back to the SHELL from a call to an ORACLE procedure: eg #username='scott' #password='tiger' #database='orcl' username='ITGCD03D03' password='tC5epIew' database='ITGCD03D' sqlplus -s... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satnamx
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameters to Shell script for GREP command

I am using grep to capture date from a file . Since i need to use the shell script for different dates ,is it possible to pass the date parameter to the shell script the Script is as below grep -E "08 Aug 2008|2008-08-08"* somefile.txt>test.txt The above script file greps the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sud.tech
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Passing Parameters For Directory Listing

i have this basic piece of code that i am trying to debug to accept input parameter to be able to display a directory listing of files. cd /u02/app/eatv/dev/out CURDIR=`pwd` echo directory listing of $CURDIR echo if ; then ls -latr else ls -latr $1 fi basically if the script... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

specified path name is too long passing parameters to awk via shell script

Hello, I have this shell script that runs awk code by passing in parameters however now it doesn't work anymore with the parameters and I don't know why. It removes duplicates from an input file based on a part of the last field and a key column. It removes the record with the older datetime... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_op2a
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing values to the shell script

Hi, Solaris : 10 . I have 3 database in single file system i.e. /d01 . whenever I connect to oracle user using the below method #su - oracle It will prompt for which database environment you want to set(PROD,TEST,UAT) : whichever i need i will enter required DATABASE and perform my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maooah
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script passing parameters to sqlplus code

Hello All, I am interested in finding out a way to pass parameters that are entered at the prompt from HP unix and passed to SQLPlus code with a Shell Script. Is this possible? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: compprog11
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing control back to the shell script

Hi All, I have a shell script(test_abc.sh) with the following shell commands, which are invoking the same shell script with different parameters. test_abc.sh . ./test.sh abc >> test.log . ./test.sh xyz >> test.log . ./test.sh pys >> test.log . ./test.sh abc >> test.log . . ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract values based on parameters passing in arguments

Based on arguments passing in command prompt values should fetch and store in new file. Sample:- sh test.sh 10 30 35 45 cat test.sh .. cut -c $1-$2,$3-$4 file_name >> file_new ... ... Above sample passing 4 arguments.. but it may differ (sh test.sh 10 30 35 45 70 75 ) based on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jairaj
1 Replies
POPEN(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  POPEN(3)

NAME
popen, pclose -- process I/O LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> FILE * popen(const char *command, const char *type); int pclose(FILE *stream); DESCRIPTION
The popen() function ``opens'' a process by creating an IPC connection, forking, and invoking the shell. Historically, popen was implemented with a unidirectional pipe; hence many implementations of popen only allow the type argument to specify reading or writing, not both. Since popen is now implemented using sockets, the type may request a bidirectional data flow. The type argument is a pointer to a null-terminated string which must be 'r' for reading, 'w' for writing, or 'r+' for reading and writing. In addition if the character 'e' is present in the type string, the file descriptor used internally is set to be closed on exec(3). The command argument is a pointer to a null-terminated string containing a shell command line. This command is passed to /bin/sh using the -c flag; interpretation, if any, is performed by the shell. The return value from popen() is a normal standard I/O stream in all respects save that it must be closed with pclose() rather than fclose(). Writing to such a stream writes to the standard input of the command; the command's standard output is the same as that of the process that called popen(), unless this is altered by the command itself. Conversely, reading from a ``popened'' stream reads the command's standard output, and the command's standard input is the same as that of the process that called popen(). Note that output popen() streams are fully buffered by default. The pclose() function waits for the associated process to terminate and returns the exit status of the command as returned by wait4(). RETURN VALUES
The popen() function returns NULL if the fork(2), pipe(2), or socketpair(2) calls fail, or if it cannot allocate memory. The pclose() function returns -1 if stream is not associated with a ``popened'' command, if stream has already been ``pclosed'', or if wait4(2) returns an error. ERRORS
The popen() function does not reliably set errno. SEE ALSO
sh(1), fork(2), pipe(2), socketpair(2), wait4(2), fclose(3), fflush(3), fopen(3), shquote(3), stdio(3), system(3) STANDARDS
The popen() and pclose() functions conform to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). HISTORY
A popen() and a pclose() function appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
Since the standard input of a command opened for reading shares its seek offset with the process that called popen(), if the original process has done a buffered read, the command's input position may not be as expected. Similarly, the output from a command opened for writing may become intermingled with that of the original process. The latter can be avoided by calling fflush(3) before popen(). Failure to execute the shell is indistinguishable from the shell's failure to execute command, or an immediate exit of the command. The only hint is an exit status of 127. The popen() argument always calls sh(1), never calls csh(1). BSD
June 24, 2011 BSD