Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help in setting up password without Interaction. Post 8144 by syedifti on Saturday 6th of October 2001 01:27:01 PM
Old 10-06-2001
Help in setting up password without Interaction.

Can anybody tell me how can I create an account without having to enter the password after editing the vipw file. I mean the system should automatically take care of the password encryption in the shadow file and I don't to enter the password again and the Account should be ready to go.
Regards
-Iftikhar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can i enter password with out user interaction

Can any body help me to write a scripting program for entering a password at run time with out user interaction. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kumar_d
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting password restrictions for all users

I would like to change the password requirements for all our AIX 5.2 logins but am having trouble finding a place where I can set the rules for everyone at the same time. I know I can go user by user in smit passwords but is there a way to create rules for everyone at the same time? Thanks,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drathbone
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

setting password for user using useradd?

hi all i am writing a script to create user and group from the input given to script for eg. script needs to values 1. mode - 1 or 2 2. id - if mode is 1 then id should be 2 char like x1 / v1 / v2 if mode is 2 then id should be 1 char like x / v / e from these to values group is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zedex
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Password Setting

Hi: Could I set the: - Login Time-out Interval - Password History Count - Lockout Duration - Lockout Threshold for user account in Sun Solaris 5.8. Thanks for your help (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlsun
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

setting password in ldap

Hi, I have installed open ldap according to the order from this video: YouTube - bowendenning's Channel sudo apt-get install slapd sudo apt-get install ldap-utils sudo apt-get install phpldapadmin The installaion was good. However it did NOT ask from me any password. After I enter to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
0 Replies

6. AIX

Setting up Password Security in AIX 5.3

In AIX 5.3 tech level 11: I want to setup a default password policy to have at least one of each of the following: alpha character, numeric character, and "special" character ("!", "&", etc). The smitty Security and Users --> Passwords --> System Password Policy screen only offers "MIN... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kikwit_phil
2 Replies

7. Solaris

default password setting

Can anyone kindly explain to me the meaning of the default values of the code below please? Thank you very much #MINDIFF=3 #MINALPHA=2 #MINNONALPHA=1 #MINUPPER=0 #MINLOWER=0 #MAXREPEATS=0 #MINSPECIAL=0 #MINDIGIT=0 #WHITESPACE=YES (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjashu
1 Replies

8. SuSE

Setting password complexity

Hi, I am setting password complexity in SLES 11. I am able to do most of things pam-config -d --pwcheck pam-config -a --cracklib pam-config -a --cracklib-minlen=8 pam-config -a --cracklib-dcredit=-1 pam-config -a --cracklib-ocredit=-1 pam-config -a --pwhistory pam-config -a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Problems setting password.

Hi All, I have a problem setting the password when I have to create a user and password as detailed below. username : gaacj01 password : oshopp01 username : gaacj02 password : oshopp02 username : gaacj03 password : oshopp03 username : gaacj04 password : oshopp04 username : gaacj05 ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: kittigolf
17 Replies

10. HP-UX

Password compliance setting

I need to set password compliance for some servers in my company. However, the requirements are that we need to set different password policies for 3 different user groups within the company. These are : System Users: i.e root, etc Batch/Application Users: oracle, bscs, etc Standard User:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
0 Replies
SHADOW(5)							File Formats Manual							 SHADOW(5)

NAME
shadow - encrypted password file DESCRIPTION
shadow contains the encrypted password information for user's accounts and optional the password aging information. Included is Login name Encrypted password Days since Jan 1, 1970 that password was last changed Days before password may be changed Days after which password must be changed Days before password is to expire that user is warned Days after password expires that account is disabled Days since Jan 1, 1970 that account is disabled A reserved field The password field must be filled. The encryped password consists of 13 to 24 characters from the 64 character alphabet a thru z, A thru Z, 0 thru 9, . and /. Refer to crypt(3) for details on how this string is interpreted. The date of the last password change is given as the number of days since Jan 1, 1970. The password may not be changed again until the proper number of days have passed, and must be changed after the maximum number of days. If the minimum number of days required is greater than the maximum number of day allowed, this password may not be changed by the user. An account is considered to be inactive and is disabled if the password is not changed within the specified number of days after the pass- word expires. An account will also be disabled on the specified day regardless of other password expiration information. This information supercedes any password or password age information present in /etc/passwd. This file must not be readable by regular users if password security is to be maintained. FILES
/etc/passwd - user account information /etc/shadow - encrypted user passwords SEE ALSO
chage(1), login(1), passwd(1), su(1), passwd(5), pwconv(8), pwunconv(8), sulogin(8) AUTHOR
Julianne Frances Haugh (jockgrrl@ix.netcom.com) SHADOW(5)