Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: echo with a here-document
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting echo with a here-document Post 81406 by nir_s on Friday 19th of August 2005 09:17:05 AM
Old 08-19-2005
Hey vino,

I also have in my installation script many lines that should be inserted into a file.
I did it in the following way:

Code:
echo "A Line in the log file.
The next line in the log file.
And the last line in the log file." > /tmp/log

Nir

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Teaching myself Here Document

I understand that a Here Document will redirect all of the lines between the beginning marker for the here document and the ending marker into the command specified just as if the text were coming from standard input. I am trying to understand the Here Document with this example: # Menu file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericelysia
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

The here document <<

Hello, I want to know the use of the here document with the << operator. Tried to go through some books but the concept was not clear. Please can any1 expalin me this with a simple example. Thanks, Rahul. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh and here document

Hi :) how can I use here doc to use ssh? I am facing a problem with the below script: #!/bin/bash ssh hosein@localhost << * 123456 * "123456" is my password Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: htabesh
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Document

Plz can somebody give me the shell and perl scripting documents,i need to start the scrpts learning.now i know about the linux commands,but need help in putting the same in the scripting with do,if,while and also using diffrent commands in the scrpipts,pls help.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish.res
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables in HERE DOCUMENT

Here is my problem: can we set the variables in the HERE DOCUMENT? I have tried but failed. Any one has good comments please let me know. #!/bin/csh -f pbrun -u xmgbrk runshell <<! @ $num1 = `wc -l /home/tpltp/csh/scripts/who.csh` echo "$num1" if ( $num1 > 0 ) then echo $num1 | tee -a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tpltp
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between using "echo" builtin and /bin/echo

So in my shell i execute: { while true; do echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line This waits one second and returns. But { while true; do /bin/echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line continues to run, and doesn't stop until i kill it explicitly. I have tried this in bash as well as zsh,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulidtko
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to correctly use an echo inside an echo?

Bit of a weird one i suppose, i want to use an echo inside an echo... For example... i have a script that i want to use to take users input and create another script. Inside this script it creates it also needs to use echos... echo "echo "hello"" >$file echo "echo "goodbye"" >$file ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

With that logic this echoes "echo". Question about echo!

echo `echo ` doesn't echoes anything. And it's logic. But echo `echo `echo ` ` does echoes "echo". What's the logic of it? the `echo `echo ` inside of the whole (first) echo, echoes nothing, so the first echo have to echo nothing but echoes "echo" (too much echoing :P):o (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Here document inside a here document?

Can we use a here document inside a here document? Something like this ssh user@remotehost << REMOTE sudo vserver vsernamename enter << VSERVER perform actions on vserver. VSERVER REMOTE (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnanavati
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to echo within EOF (here-document)

ssh $USR@$host /bin/bash <<\EOF >> ship-error.txt awk 'BEGIN{f=0} !f { s=$0; sub(/,.+/, "", s); gsub(//, " ", s); t=(systime()-mktime(s)); if(t<=14400) f=1 } f ' /logs/shiperror.log EOF I want to use an echo command within the EOF. Is this possible? something like this: So that it prints... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepthz
3 Replies
grablogs.conf(4)						   File Formats 						  grablogs.conf(4)

NAME
grablogs.conf - grablogs configuration for libgrablogs.so of the plugins of gnome-system-log file SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/gnome-system-log/plugins/grablogs.conf DESCRIPTION
The libgrablogs.so is a plugin for gnome-system-log(1), it colloct the log files from the system as many as possible. grablogs.conf is a configuration file that contains a set of lines mixed with sh(1) syntax codes and individual log files. libgrablogs.so will read the file try to get a log files list for gnome-system-log(1). Users can copy the file into $HOME/.gnome2/gnome-system-log/plugins/`uname -p` to overwrite the system default one. The grablogs.conf file contains the following configuration categories: [configs] Each line under this category is interpreted as a config file of System. The plugin will open the config file and try to find all system paths of the logs. [commands] Each line under this category is interpreted as a shell command and will be execute through a pipe. And each line of the out- put of the command will be interpreted as a log path. [logs] Each line under this category is interpreted as a log path. FILES
/usr/lib/gnome-system-log/plugins/grablogs.conf The system default configuration file for the plugin libgrablogs.so $HOME/.gnome2/gnome-system-log/plugins/`uname -p`/grablogs.conf The user specific configuration file for the plugin libgrablogs.so EMAMPLE
[configs] /etc/syslog.conf [commands] for i in `svcs -aH -o FMRI | grep -v lrc `; do svcprop -p restarter/logfile $i 2>/dev/null || svcprop -q -p restarter/alt_logfile $i 2>/dev/null ; done [logs] /var/log/messages /var/log/secure /var/log/maillog /var/log/cron /var/log/Xorg.0.log /var/log/XFree86.0.log /var/log/auth.log /var/log/cups/error_log SEE ALSO
gnome-system-log(1), pipelog.conf(1) gnome-utils 2.16.0 13 Oct 2006 grablogs.conf(4)