Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Variable containing spaces
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variable containing spaces Post 81329 by vgersh99 on Thursday 18th of August 2005 10:39:55 AM
Old 08-18-2005
ls "$PATH_LOG"
cat "$PATH_LOG"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip leading and trailing spaces only in a shell variable with embedded spaces

I am trying to strip all leading and trailing spaces of a shell variable using either awk or sed or any other utility, however unscuccessful and need your help. echo $SH_VAR | command_line Syntax. The SH_VAR contains embedded spaces which needs to be preserved. I need only for the leading and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending spaces to a variable

Hi All, I have a requirement, in which i have to append some spaces to the variable, and then send it to another function. I am new to the UNIX shell programming. Ultimately the length of the string should be 40 characters. exp: Login = "rallapalli" (length = 10) i have to append 30 spaces to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rallapalli
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding spaces for a variable value

Hi, i have to form the header and add fillers(spaces) to it. I have done something like this. i have added 10 spaces at the end HDR="AAAABBBBCCNN " echo $HDR >> file1.dat but the spaces are not being stored in the file. How to add the spaces. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnat
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Triming spaces for any variable

Hi, I want to trim the spaces on left side of the variable value. For eg: if it is 4 spaces followed by value, All the spaces on the left should be supressed. Easy but want it quickly. Regards, Shiv@jad (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shiv@jad
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spaces in a rsync variable

The following code doesn't work because of the space in "My Documents". Is there a way to set the "sources" variable and then use it in rsync? I tried escape space (\ ) and quotes, but nothing worked. #!/bin/sh sources="'/home/wolf' '/media/sda1/Documents and Settings/Administrator/My... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfv
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable with several values and spaces.

Hello all. I am a newb obviously and a bit stumped on this, so any help gratefully accepted. The script is extracting metadata from individual mp3 files, then (hopefully will be) sorting them into newly-created subdirectories. I have filtered out the relevant metadata and have the album names... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: spoovy
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

The last argument contains spaces, how do I get it into a variable?

Gooday I have an argument string that contains 15 arguments. The first 14 arguments are easy to handle because they are separated by spaces ARG14=`echo ${ARGSTRING} | awk '{print $14}'` The last argument is a text that may be empty or contain spaces. So any ideas on how I get the last... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: zagga
23 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : Remove spaces in a variable

I have a variable I want to remove the spaces in between. The output should be How can this be done Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trimming spaces from a variable

Hi guys, when I take substring of a particular data using this command var=substr($0,11,10) it comes with spaces, when I am trying to trim the spaces it is not allowing me to do that. Can you please help me out on that. As I have to reverse the output of the variable also. ---------- Post... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish8484
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add spaces to variable

Hi, I'm passing a variable to a scrpit which can be 1 to 3 characters long. How can I force it to be three character long and add spaces to it? The passed variable is stored in $1 and I would like to be stored in NewName I tried without success NewName=$(printf "%*s 3 $1) So if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
2 Replies
COLORS(3)						   libbash colors Library Manual						 COLORS(3)

NAME
colors -- libbash library for setting tty colors. SYNOPSIS
colorSet <color> colorReset colorPrint [<indent>] <color> <text> colorPrintN [<indent>] <color> <text> DESCRIPTION
General colors is a collection of functions that make it very easy to put colored text on tty. The function list: colorSet Sets the color of the prints to the tty to COLOR colorReset Resets current tty color back to normal colorPrint Prints TEXT in the color COLOR indented by INDENT (without adding a newline) colorPrintN The same as colorPrint, but trailing newline is added Detailed interface description follows. Available colors: Green Red Yellow White The color parameter is non-case-sensitive (i.e. RED, red, ReD, and all the other forms are valid and are the same as Red). FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
colorSet <color> Sets the current printing color to color. colorReset Resets current tty color back to normal. colorPrint [<indent>] <color> Prints text using the color color indented by indent (without adding a newline). Parameters: <indent> The column to move to before start printing. This parameter is optional. If ommitted - start output from current cursor position. <color> The color to use. <color> The text to print. colorPrintN [<indent>] <color> The same as colorPrint, except a trailing newline is added. EXAMPLES
Printing a green 'Hello World' with a newline: Using colorSet: $ colorSet green $ echo 'Hello World' $ colorReset Using colorPrint: $ colorPrint 'Hello World'; echo Using colorPrintN: $ colorPrintN 'Hello World' AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux