Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Stick with Solaris 10 or try something else? Post 81254 by Filth Pig on Wednesday 17th of August 2005 04:18:33 PM
Old 08-17-2005
Stick with Solaris 10 or try something else?

Hello. New to the forum here. I was wondering if I could get some input from those who use Linux/Unix based operating systems exclusively.

I use Solaris 10 here at work, while it was confusing at first (terminal commands and such,) I am quickly adapting to it. At home, I use Windows XP Professional.

I'm ready for a change at home.

I mainly use my computer for general internet use, listening to music and some gaming mixed in here and there.

Should I stick with Solaris 10 or is there something more interesting to play around with? Keep in mind, I'm pretty new to this stuff - so compiling applications is something I've never done before. I like to try new things though, so I'm up for the task.

Any input is appreciated. Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

crontab does not stick

When I do crontab cronfile and then checks crontab -l everything looks good. The cronjobs are there as they should. Then I leave it, hoping it to stop a process at 11.30 pm and start it up again at 06.00 am. When I am back in the morning, if I then do crontab -l, it is empty. And nothing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lulle
4 Replies

2. Linux

bootable USB Stick || Fedora 8

Hello Everybody I am planning to install Fedora core 8 on an extra PC I have; what I wanna do is to boot from a USB stick then install Fedora from an ISO image I already have via FTP. Could any one tell me how to create bootable USB Stick for Fedora as I already found how to install from FTP... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmed_nasr2001
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Aix usb stick

I have a P-Series Machine running AIX 5.3, it has a USB Port on the front of the server, can I use a USB Stick on AIX platforms?? if so how..:rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BEVAN
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Mount USB stick...

Dummies questions, perfect for this. I cannot mount my idiotic usb stick on Slackware, I input the following on non-graphic mode as root: Mount -t vfat /dev/sdc1/usbstick usbstick is the folder i created for mounting my USB, the file system is FAT, and everytime I input that I get some kind... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dax01
2 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Ubuntu on USB stick?

Hey Guys I have an Ubuntu CD and I was thinking of creating like a bootable hard drive with various OS so that I can just boot OSs with t drive and not require the CDs. I was just wondering is there a way I can do this, like have Ubuntu boot from a USB stick? If yes how is that possible(even if I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbansal2
3 Replies

6. Linux

installing CDlinux onto a SD stick?

what program(s) will i need, for either windows 7 or ubuntu (i have both installed on my HDD), to install onto a SD card, and how big should the memory stick be for this? the ISO is about 230mb (rounded up) and the SD card i plan to use is 512mb. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sterist
3 Replies

7. SCO

Mount USB stick

hi Howto mount an USB stick under SCO 5.0.7? BTW ist it possible to mount USB stick in the command line using 'tools' at the Boot: prompt from OpenServer Release 5.0.7 installation CD? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccc
1 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Installing UBUNTU on USB stick

I'd like to install the OS on my stick. I would like to be able to save my works there and install apps or customize the OS. What can I do Ps. At home I use an iMac, but in the school where I work there are only PC... Ty (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fabio_Puricelli
2 Replies

9. SCO

How to use USB Stick in UNIXware?

I am trying to use a USB (Pen?) drive on Unixware 7.1.4. The USB stick is in the machine and the machine recognises it when I enter usbprobe as follows: Path - Address Description ----------------------------- +++++++ BUS #2 0 - 1 - HUB "UHCI Root Hub" 1 - 2 - HID "Chicony Wireless Device"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BernP
1 Replies
ggz(7)								  GGZ Gaming Zone							    ggz(7)

NAME
ggz - The GGZ Gaming Zone DESCRIPTION
The GGZ Gaming Zone is a standards-conforming online gaming infrastructure which provides many applications and games to people who like to play on the internet or in local networks. GGZ, how the (recursive) acronym is called, is available for many computer systems. This docu- ment focuses on the installations on Linux, BSD and Unix. APPLICATIONS
There isn't a single executable named ggz, instead a multitude of programs is available to the user, and even more which operate on the system level or are used by developers and administrators. Users will most likely want to connect to a GGZ server on the internet, such as ggz://live.ggzgamingzone.org, to play games against other people. Core clients are used to perform this task. Functional clients exist in the form of kggz for the K Desktop Environment (KDE), ggz-gnome and ggz-gtk for GNOME or XFCE users, and ggz-txt for people who prefer com- mand-line applications. Of course, the clients are not bound to a specific desktop, but the choices above will likely be influenced by the level of integration. A client under development is the SDL-based vibora. Special clients exist in the form of ggzap, a quick-launcher for the KDE panel, and ggz-wrapper which is used for launching GGZ games from instant messenger applications. GAMES
Games are usually launched by the GGZ server, with corresponding game clients running on the user's desktop. Plenty of games are available for GGZ, most of them coming from the GGZ project itself but several independent game projects do now provide GGZ support. Game clients are implemented using multiple toolkits, some of which stem from certain desktop environments. However, all games work equally well under all desktops, it's just a matter of personal choice which of them are to be installed - having all of them is just fine. While some GGZ game clients are suited for online gaming only, others also run locally like normal games happen to do. Those will be found in the desktop's application menu. FILES
The following layout can vary from site to site, depending on the completeness of a GGZ installation and the operating system distribution in use. It adheres to the File Hierarchy Standard (FHS) as much as possible. /usr/bin GGZ applications, tools, and the games which provide single player mode. /usr/lib/ggz(d) GGZ game clients and servers. /usr/share/ggz(d) Data files for game clients and servers. /etc/ggz.modules Game module registry for game clients. /etc/ggzd Configuration for the GGZ server, including rooms and game types. CONFORMING TO
GGZ Design Document and Protocol Reference, available at http://www.ggzgamingzone.org/docs/design/ GGZ Client-Client Protocol Reference, available at http://www.ggzgamingzone.org/docs/design/clientspec/ GGZ Server-Server Protocol Reference, available at http://www.ggzgamingzone.org/docs/design/serverspec/ Freedesktop.org specifications for desktop integration of games and applications, more information at http://www.freedesktop.org/ File Hierarchy Standard for unix-derived operating systems, at http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ AUTHORS
The GGZ Development Team <ggz-dev@mail.ggzgamingzone.org> SEE ALSO
kggz(6), ggz-gtk(6), ggz-txt(6), ggz-java(6) The GGZ Development Team 0.0.14 ggz(7)