Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check if variable is set in script Post 81187 by vino on Wednesday 17th of August 2005 05:37:26 AM
Old 08-17-2005
Use ksh. ksh has shell builtin's to check for those conditions.

From man ksh under the Parameter sub-heading.

Code:
       Modifiers can be applied to the ${name} form of parameter substitution:

${name:-word}
              if  name  is set and not null, it is substituted, otherwise word
              is substituted.

${name:+word}
              if name is set and not  null,  word  is  substituted,  otherwise
              nothing is substituted.

${name:=word}
              if  name is set and not null, it is substituted, otherwise it is
              assigned word and the resulting value of name is substituted.

${name:?word}
              if name is set and not null, it is substituted,  otherwise  word
              is  printed  on  standard error (preceded by name:) and an error
              occurs (normally causing termination of a shell script, function
              or  .-script).  If word is omitted the string ?parameter null or
              not set? is used instead.

In the above modifiers, the : can be omitted, in which case the  condi-
       tions  only  depend on name being set (as opposed to set and not null).
       If word is needed, parameter, command, arithmetic and  tilde  substitu-
       tion are performed on it; if word is not needed, it is not evaluated.

Have a look at examples given in the orielly book Learning the Korn Shell

Vino

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting value of variable set in subprocess script

I am writing a shell script that executes another script by fetching it over the network and piping its contents into sh (ftp -o - $script | sh; or wget -O - |sh). Since this bypasses putting the script on the filesystem, this means I can't source the script directly (using . ), but rather it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hadarot
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in getting the path of environment variable set in bashrc in my shell script

hi all i have joined new to the group. i have set an variable in my bashrc file. .bashrc PROGHOME=/home/braf/braf/prog export PROGHOME but while using it in my shell script its path is not taken and i had to explicitly give the export command to set the path. in my script... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: krithika
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] Check if variable is set or blank

Hello guys. In my script, i have the following code: echo "The tarfile contains these directorys" tar -tf file.tar > tarlist.txt cat tarlist | awk -F/ '{print $1 "/" $2}' | nl echo "Enter path of the directory you want to extract or just press enter to extract everything: " read path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noratx
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Script: If diff between files is nothing then set a variable

how about a script that compares 2 files using diff (or similar) and if they are then same then set a variable, v1=int else v1=0. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

In a csh script, can I set a variable to the result of an SQLPLUS select query?

Can someone tell me why I'm getting error when I try to run this? #!/bin/csh -f source ~/.cshrc # set SQLPLUS = ${ORACLE_HOME}/bin/sqlplus # set count=`$SQLPLUS -s ${DB_LOGIN} << END select count(1) from put_groups where group_name='PC' and description='EOD_EVENT' and serial_number=1;... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregrobinsonhd
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH script eval(?) to set variable

first of all, thanks to all on this board, it has been a huge resource to answer most of my questions! I am stuck on something that should really be simple, and was looking for some help.. I am using KSH on solaris and working on a script to move containers from server to server. Where i am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tksol
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set/Export Env Vars from with Shell Script With Input Variable

I have a shell script I want to run that will set environment variables based on the value of an input variable submitted when the shell script is called. For example: $ mgenv.sh prod This would set environment variables for prod $ mgenv.sh test This would set environment variables... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brtaylor73
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Variable Check Script

I am working on a perl script that is used to update a list of hosts to a certain file but I am having an issue when I try to perform a check to make sure the user enters valid information. The following is what I have currently written for the script: IPINPUT: print "Enter IP Address: ";... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Takau
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to set/get shell env variable in python script

greetings, i have a sh script that calls a python script. the sh script sets an env variable BIN: export BIN=bin64i need to get that BIN variable's value and use it within this python script. anyone know how to do this? thanx in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script set command to a variable

Hi, Will following set up work in bash script? I've got errors if assigning following binary command to a variable. But on the other hand, COMMAND="ls" works. Any explanation please? How can I assign binary command to a variable COMMAND then I can just call ${COMMAND}? COMMAND="rsync"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
3 Replies
shift(1)							   User Commands							  shift(1)

NAME
shift - shell built-in function to traverse either a shell's argument list or a list of field-separated words SYNOPSIS
sh shift [n] csh shift [variable] ksh * shift [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The positional parameters from $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ... . If n is not given, it is assumed to be 1. csh The components of argv, or variable, if supplied, are shifted to the left, discarding the first component. It is an error for the variable not to be set or to have a null value. ksh The positional parameters from $n+1 $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ..., default n is 1. The parameter n can be any arithmetic expression that evaluates to a non-negative number less than or equal to $#. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 shift(1)