Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Renaming multiple files, to get rid of extension Post 81140 by Corona688 on Tuesday 16th of August 2005 01:59:11 PM
Old 08-16-2005
mmv '*.XLS' '#1'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming multiple files

Help! I was trying to rename multiple files. Like in DOS, i decided to use wildcards and now i am missing some files. Any ideas on how to recover them? Or find out where the files went? I had these 3 files resume1.log elecresume.log compresume.log The command I ran was mv *.log *.log.bak... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmayur
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

hi, I've a machine running RHEL3,kernel version 2.4. i need to rename multiple files under one directory as follows: ls demo.c demo.S demo-1243.sw demo.xyz and now i need to replace the occurrence of demo with demo_1 for each of the above file. the tedious way is to go ahead and do mv on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit4g
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

I have a bunch of files txt1.csv--2008 thru to txt3.csv--2008. If i wanted to rename these files all at the same time to txt*.csv-2008 what would be the best way to do it... Just need to get rid of the extra - in each file name.. not all files are going to be called txt*.csv--2008. Just... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

Hi, I have several hundred files I need to rename, and I'm would rather not hit F2 for each file individually to rename them. Example of file: large1961.jpg What I need the file to be renamed as: 1961.jpg I don't know what type of command I can execute within a shell script that would... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayell
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing prefix from multiple files and renaming file extension

Hello i have the files in this format pdb1i0t.ent pdb1lv7.ent pdb1pp6.ent pdb1tj2.ent pdb1xg2.ent pdb2b4b.ent pdb2ewe.ent Now i have to remove the prefix pdb from all the files and also i need to change the extension of .ent to .txt The new file should look like this ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining multiple files into one with the same name/different extension

I've been trying to find information in regard to creating a script that will generate HTML files. I currently have a series of files that contain code I need to surround with a <textarea> tag for easy viewing. I have about a thousand files that contain code, one file that contains the HTML code up... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: 12o
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming multiple files

I have multiple gif files in a directory with different names. How can i rename them to have this result: file01.gif file02.gif file03.gif . . . file0500.gif Thanks for your help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: netx
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

I have 34 file in a directory that all have different names, however, they do have 1 pattern in commmon. They all have "-10-11-2010" date format in the name. I want to replace the date in the file name with a supplied date or maybe even the system date. I am sure I will be using awk or sed to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming the extension of a set of files

Hi All, I am trying to rename the extension of a set of file from .txt to .xtx. When I run the following script, #!/bin/sh l=`ls /f` for f in $l do "mv $f ${f%.txt}.xtx" ; done a file such as 1.txt is renamed to 1? where ? is a strange character. Could you please help me fix the code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sara123
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files in sftp server in a get files script

Hi, In sftp script to get files, I have to rename all the files which I am picking. Rename command does not work here. Is there any way to do this? I am using #!/bin/ksh For eg: sftp user@host <<EOF cd /path get *.txt rename *.txt *.txt.done ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
7 Replies
PYTAGS(1)							  [FIXME: manual]							 PYTAGS(1)

NAME
pytags - set and remove tags on media files from filename and options SYNOPSIS
pytags [OPTIONS] file [file...] DESCRIPTION
pytags is a simple, general-purpose tool for setting and removing media file tags. With no options, pytags prints a tag summary for all files specified on the command line. Options can be used to set and remove tags on files. Using --format, it is easy to change or create tags on by parsing metadata from filenames according to an arbitrary format string. This makes it simple to tag files that are consistently named. Additionally, tags can be manipulated directly with the --add, --set, and --remove options. These options are processed in order, so options specified later on the command-line may cause values set by earlier options to be overwritten. These options must appear after the --format, if it is used. OPTIONS
--add=EXPR Append a tag value all files according to EXPR. EXPR should be an expression like "artist=Foo". May be specified multiple times to add multiple values. --format=FORMAT Tag files with metadata extrapolated from filenames using format string FORMAT; see the section called "FORMAT STRINGS". This option must be specified before --add, --set, or --remove. --set=EXPR Set a single tag on all files according to EXPR. EXPR should be an expression like "artist=Foo". May be specified multiple times to set multiple tags. --set cannot be used to specify multiple values for a single tag. To do that, use --remove followed by multiple --add options. --remove=TAG Remove tags named TAG. May be specified more than once to remove multiple tags. -h, --help Show summary of options and exit. -v, --version Show version of program and exit. FORMAT STRINGS
The format string expected by --format is the same as that for pytagsfs. See the pytagsfs manual page for more information. EXAMPLES
Remove the genre tag from all .ogg files in the current directory. $ pytags --remove genre *.ogg Set the artist and album tag on all .mp3 files, and remove the genre tag. $ pytags --set artist=Foo --set album=Bar --remove genre *.mp3 Tag all of the .flac files in the current directory. All such files are assumed to be in the format "tracknum artist - trackname [album].flac". $ pytags --format '%n %a - %t [%l].flac' *.flac BUGS
Please report bugs on launchpad at http://launchpad.net/products/pytagsfs/+bugs. pytags relies on mutagen (the underlying Python tags library) to choose an appropriate tag format for the files being tagged. This cannot currently be overridden. SEE ALSO
pytagsfs(1) AUTHOR
Forest Bond Author. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2007, 2008, 2009 [FIXME: source] 2009-12-04 PYTAGS(1)