Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Inappropriate ioctl for device Post 81079 by Perderabo on Tuesday 16th of August 2005 09:32:07 AM
Old 08-16-2005
That piece of c code is not the problem. Did you surround the this program with echo statements to be sure that it is causing the problem? If so, look further in the program for some tty specific operation.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Inappropriate ioctl for device

Hi, We are running a perl script to upload some data using SQL* Loader. We pipe the data in a http request to SQL*Loader which loads the data to the database. We encounter the error "Inappropirate ioctl for device" when we try to upload huge data. Any solution would be greatly appreciated.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tojaiganesh
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When I try to format a slice in Solaris 10 I get the follow error :confused: : -bash-3.00# mkfs /dev/dsk/c1d0s5 18877824 Can not determine partition size: Inappropriate ioctl for device Some format command output:.... AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c1d0 <DEFAULT cyl 38735 alt 2... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: spoonman
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hello, I have a cron entry: 59 23 * * * . $HOME/.profile;mydate=`date '+%Y%m%d'`;mv filename filename_$mydate Which works fine interactively, but gives me the following error when it runs in cron: Your "cron" job on servername . $HOME/.profile;mydate=`date '+ produced the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: steelrose
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Inappropriate ioctl for device, format error

When I try to format a slice in Solaris 10 I get the follow error : -bash-3.00# mkfs /dev/dsk/c1d0s5 18877824 Can not determine partition size: Inappropriate ioctl for device Some format command output:.... AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c1d0 <DEFAULT cyl 38735 alt 2 hd 64 sec 63>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spoonman
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mt command shows /dev/tape: inappropriate ioctl for device

Hello guys, on my Red Hat machine the /bin/mt status command gives the output dev/tape: inappropriate ioctl for device. This messages comes up after the Server has been rebooted. Anybody an idea? Thx masterofdesaster (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: masterofdesaste
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

hdparm + Inappropriate ioctl for device

Hi All, Am finding performance of my SD card using hdparm. Code: hdparm -tT /dev/BlockDev0 /dev/BlockDev0: Timing cached reads: 1118 MB in 2.00 seconds = 558.61 MB/sec HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device Timing buffered disk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amio
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device after ssh command

Hello everyone I am finishing a script allowing me to purge logs on multiple servers, i have one last pb with the ssh command.........it is throwing me the following error : tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device (full screen in attached file 1, full script in attached file 2) It... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy75_13
15 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

nohup: can't detach from console: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Hi! I am getting a nohup issue on mac osx while trying to start a process through nohup in the startup script. nohup: can't detach from console: Inappropriate ioctl for device Please help! Thanks, Allan. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacki
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Hi, ssh -q -t -l $usr $host bin/test.sh I am using above command to run script remotely. script is working without any issues. but I am getting "tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device" message on console. plz help how can I avoid this message. Thanks Moved thread from Emergency... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kri
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sample program tty, this will be get called from my script test_script. #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> #define TTY_NAME_MAX 32 #define STDIN_FILENO 0 /* Standard input. */ int main(void) { int ret = 0; char local_device_file; printf("\npid =... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gajendra_PH
7 Replies
INSTALL-KEYMAP(8)					      System Manager's Manual						 INSTALL-KEYMAP(8)

NAME
install-keymap -- expand a given keymap and install it as boot-time keymap SYNOPSIS
install-keymap [keymap-name | NONE | KERNEL] DESCRIPTION
install-keymap usually takes a keymap-name as argument. The file is passed to loadkeys for loading, so that valid values for this argument are the same than that of arguments to loadkeys. install-keymap expands include-like statements in that file, and puts the result in /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz, which will be loaded into the kernel at boot-time. One may also specify KERNEL instead of a keymap name, causing /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz to be removed, making sure that no custom keymap will replace the kernel's builtin keymap at next reboot. An argument of NONE tells the command to do nothing. It can be used by caller scripts to avoid handling this special case and needlessly duplicate code. The purpose of this processing is to solve an annoying problem, of 2 apparently conflicting issues. The first one is an important goal of keymap management in Debian, namely ensuring that whenever the user or admin is expected to use the keyboard, the keymap selected as boot- time keymap is in use; this means the keymap has to be loaded before a shell is ever proposed, which means very early in the booting process, and especially before all local filesystems are mounted (/etc/rcS.d/S10checkroot.sh can spawn sulogin). The second issue is that for flexibility we allow that /usr or /usr/share may live on their own partition(s), and thus /usr/share/keymaps, where keymap files live, may not be available for reading at the time we need a keymap file. And no, we won't put 1Mb of keymaps in the root partition just for this. And the problem is, most keymap files are not self-contained, so it does not help to just copy the selected file into the root partition. The best known solution so far is to expand the keymap file so that it becomes self-contained, and put it in the root partition. That's what this tool does. FILES
/etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz Where the boot-time keymap is stored SEE ALSO
loadkeys (8). AUTHOR
This program and manual page were written by Yann Dirson dirson@debian.org for the Debian GNU/Linux system, but as it should not include any Debian-specific code, it may be used by others. INSTALL-KEYMAP(8)