Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers renaming a compressed file to filename without .Z Post 81033 by bruceps on Monday 15th of August 2005 04:45:22 PM
Old 08-15-2005
Error renaming a compressed filename without .Z

I guess that I wasn't specific enough.

the script -
uncompress $1
mv `basename $1 .Z` newfilename

requires input of a file name. What I tried to say was
where $1 = basename.Z
after compression this becomes basename
how do I rename $1 or save to another variable the filename = basename
by itself?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming files to have date/time in filename

I have a program that will export my data to a single file, but it assigns a file name that is overridden every time I run the program. I need to change the file name to have a sequential number in the filename. How do I rename a file so that the filename contains the system date and time. I want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wayneb
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compressed file

I compressed a file by using gzip command gzip <<xx>> filename changed to xx.gz How to view this xx.gz file. Any idea. Thanks in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

compressed file

i have a file 4d7a94d0.bbb.1292 when i do file 4d7a94d0.bbb.1292 the ouput is below 4d7a94d0.bbb.1292: gzip compressed data - deflate method and i run this command gunzip -c 4d7a94d0.bbb.1292 | awk '{gsub("\"","")}/I_ACCOUNT_ID/{print $2}' RS=":|;" FS="," i get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackzinga80
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Batch renaming insert additional zero into filename

Hi all, Wondering how this could be accomplished........ a directory contains sequentially numbered files from fw01 to fw999. How would I insert an additional zero so that the directory lists these files in a proper manner? (i.e. all double digit files from fw01 to fw99 would become... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: putter1900
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming the filename

Hi, I have several files with name b1.root, b2.root b3.root I want to rename the "b" to "bkg", so finally is should be: bkg1.root bkg2.root bkg3.root I used command: rename s/b/bsig/ b*root Somehow it is working at some place and not working in other folder. I do not have any idea... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrjrasaxena
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming a filename

Hi friends , i want to change the filename as below filename=ABC_HYND_JDHD_20130125120345.txt expected output : ABC_HYND_JDHD_20130125.txt i have tried using awk but not able to procedd futher. i am trying to do the above in single commad. echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file that has multiple numbers as filename

Hi I have a file with filename as "partition-setup-and-ipl.vtcmd.76217657132.9721536798" Now i need to move this file as "partition-setup-and-ipl.vtcmd.76217657132.9721536798_org" i tried with # ls | grep -E "partition-setup-and-ipl.vtcmd.+"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search compressed files with awk and get FILENAME

I have many compressed files I want to search using awk and want to print some file contents along with the filename it came from on each output record (I simplified awk command). Here are the results with the files uncompressed: awk '{print FILENAME, $0}' test*.txt test1.txt from test1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjf
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files at once (discarding suffix of the filename after a character)

Hi, I have a lot of files similar to the below order. I want to rename all the files .discrading the time stamp/numbers after cnf. Existing files id_info_20130405.cnf_20130801 in_info_20130405.cnf_20130891 iz_info_20130405.cnf_20130821 in_info_20130405.cnf_20130818... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanapandi
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Renaming files by appending string from within file to filename

Greetings. I am working in a Linux environment and am trying to figure out a way to rename files in a directory by appending a unique strings that appears within a certain area in those files. I have gotten as far as identifying what that particular unique string is with a command like the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
10 Replies
DH_COMPRESS(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_COMPRESS(1)

NAME
dh_compress - compress files and fix symlinks in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_compress [debhelperoptions] [-Xitem] [-A] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_compress is a debhelper program that is responsible for compressing the files in package build directories, and makes sure that any symlinks that pointed to the files before they were compressed are updated to point to the new files. By default, dh_compress compresses files that Debian policy mandates should be compressed, namely all files in usr/share/info, usr/share/man, files in usr/share/doc that are larger than 4k in size, (except the copyright file, .html and other web files, image files, and files that appear to be already compressed based on their extensions), and all changelog files. Plus PCF fonts underneath usr/share/fonts/X11/ FILES
debian/package.compress These files are deprecated. If this file exists, the default files are not compressed. Instead, the file is ran as a shell script, and all filenames that the shell script outputs will be compressed. The shell script will be run from inside the package build directory. Note though that using -X is a much better idea in general; you should only use a debian/package.compress file if you really need to. OPTIONS
-Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being compressed. For example, -X.tiff will exclude TIFF files from compression. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. -A, --all Compress all files specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on. file ... Add these files to the list of files to compress. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 3.0 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_COMPRESS(1)