Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script to run shell command and insert results to existing xml file Post 80804 by aigles on Friday 12th of August 2005 02:18:10 AM
Old 08-12-2005
You can try something like that :
Code:
result_file=df.dat

open_tag='<TAG>'
close_tag='</TAG>'
insert_point='<XML>'

df_file=/tmp/$$.tmp
temp_file=/tmp/$$.tmp

# Build lines to be inserted in result file
df -k | tail +2 | while read line
do
   echo "${open_tag}\n${line}\n${close_tag}"
done >> ${df_file}

# Insert lines in result file
sed -e "/${insert_point}/r ${df_file}" ${result_file} > ${temp_file}
mv ${temp_file} ${result_file}

Jean-Pierre.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shell script to append a time for the existing error log file

Hi Guys, the requirement is like this, i am having a error log file in this format, 4594.493: parallel nursery GC 2594592K->2544691K (2969600K), 30.848 ms 4605.958: parallel nursery GC 2634887K->2584986K (2969600K), 38.900 ms 4619.079: parallel nursery GC 2822555K->2774812K... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsprasanna
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove xml namespace from xml file using shell script?

I have an xml file: <AutoData xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"> <Table1> <Data1 10 </Data1> <Data2 20 </Data2> <Data3 40 </Data3> <Table1> </AutoData> and I have to remove the portion xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" only. I tried using sed... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary1978
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to insert text between lines of an existing file using perl

Hi , I need some inputs on how to open a file (file.txt) and parse the text example aaa of the file and bbb of the file and add the text zzzz once i parse (aaa and bbb) and followed by the remaining of the text as it is in the file using perl programming. Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhul2002
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert pipes for existing and non-existing records

I have a source file like this, L4058S462 34329094 F51010141TK1070000483L4058S462 34329094 0232384840 381892 182 5690 L4058S462 34329094 F51020141FIRST CLEARING, LLC A/C 3432-9094 L4058S462 34329094 F51030141JOHAN HOLMQVIST ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saravanamr
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert shell command into first line of output file

How can I insert the command executed on the shell into the first line of my output file? For example if I execute; zcat *.gz |grep “User5501” > users.out How can I make my users.out look like; zcat *.gz |grep “User5501” > users.out User5501 PA User5501 UA User5501 ZA... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add Xml tags to an existing xml using shell or awk?

Hi , I have a below xml: <ns:Body> <ns:result> <Date Month="June" Day="Monday:/> </ns:result> </ns:Body> i have a lookup abc.txtt text file with below details Month June July August Day Monday Tuesday Wednesday I need a output xml with below tags <ns:Body> <ns:result>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nevergivup
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read xml file till script finds separation and run again for next input and so on

Hi All, I have one query, I managed to run script with user inputs through command line or with 1 file. But I need to read a txt file/xml file in which user can mention multiple sets of answers and script should run for each set till it reach the EOF. Thanks in advance for example, the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rv_champ
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl

Linux System having all Perl, Python, PHP (and Ruby) installed From a Shell script, can call a Perl, Python, PHP (or Ruby ?) file eg eg a Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl or/and Python file??? Like #!/usr/bin/bash .... .... case $INPUT_STRING... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoyanet
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grepping multiple XML tag results from XML file.

I want to write a one line script that outputs the result of multiple xml tags from a XML file. For example I have a XML file which has below XML tags in the file: <EMAIL>***</EMAIL> <CUSTOMER_ID>****</CUSTOMER_ID> <BRANDID>***</BRANDID> Now I want to grep the values of all these specified... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubh752
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to insert subnode in xml file using xmlstarlet or any other bash command?

I have multiple xml files where i want to update a subnode if the subnode project points to different project or insert a subnode if it doesn't exist using a xmlstarlet or any other command that can be used in a bash script. I have been able to update the subnode project if it doesn't point to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
1 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-k] [-q] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command ... is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD