Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to pattern match on digits and then increment? Post 80780 by sdutto01 on Thursday 11th of August 2005 02:46:55 PM
Old 08-11-2005
excellent. I appreciate the quick reply!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Isolate and Extract a Pattern Substring (Digits Only)

Hi guys, I have a text file report generated from egrepping multiple files. The text files themselves are obtianed after many succesive refinements, so they contain already the desired number, but this is surrounded by unwanted characters, newlines, spaces, it is not always at the start of the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: netfreighter
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match first pattern first then extract second pattern match

My input file: <accession>Q91G55</accession> <name>043L_IIV6</name> <protein> <recommendedName> <location> <position position="294"/> </location> <fullName>Uncharacterized protein 043L</fullName> <accession>P18556</accession> <name>1106L_ASFB7</name> <protein> <recommendedName>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Regex pattern for multiple digits

Hello, I need to construct a pattern to match the below string (especially the timestamp at the beginning) 20101222100436_temp.dat The below pattern works _temp.dat However I am trying find if there are any other better representations. I tried {14}, but it did not work. I am on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex to match digits not in dates

hi all, im having problems. I need to change all number 10 in a text file to word form, or in short from 10->ten. the thing is number 10 including in dates such as 10/22/1997 or 03-10-2011 should not be changed. im having some trouble because the file contains numbers like "price range from... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: perlishell
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use match() in nawk to find digits in number

Hi, I just need to check whether number of digits in a phone number is 10 or not. If I am not wrong regex will be: {9} I have to use this inside nawk as this is a small portion of a big program. nawk ' BEGIN { RS="";FS=";"; regex="{9}"; } { for (i=1;i<=NF;i++) { if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need one liner to search pattern and print everything expect 6 lines from where pattern match made

i need to search for a pattern from a big file and print everything expect the next 6 lines from where the pattern match was made. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Match Pattern after certain pattern and Print words next to Pattern

Hi experts , im new to Unix,AWK ,and im just not able to get this right. I need to match for some patterns if it matches I need to print the next few words to it.. I have only three such conditions to match… But I need to print only those words that comes after satisfying the first condition..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rearrange or replace only the second line after pattern match or pattern match

Im using the command below , but thats not the output that i want. it only prints the odd and even numbers. awk '{if(NR%2){print $0 > "1"}else{print $0 > "2"}}' Im hoping for something like this file1: Text hi this is just a test text1 text2 text3 text4 text5 text6 Text hi... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match Pattern and print pattern and multiple lines into one line

Hello Experts , require help . See below output: File inputs ------------------------------------------ Server Host = mike id rl images allocated last updated density vimages expiration last read <------- STATUS ------->... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tigerhills
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Determine if first 2 digits of string match numbers

Trying to find out how to discover if the first 2 characters of a string are "22" Not sure how. I could use if ]; then echo "yes";fi But I think that will only grab the pattern 22 and not the first 2 digits. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
5 Replies
EXIGREP(8)						      System Manager's Manual							EXIGREP(8)

NAME
EXIGREP - Search Exim's main log SYNOPSIS
exigrep [-l] pattern [log file] ... DESCRIPTION
The exigrep utility is a Perl script that searches one or more main log files for entries that match a given pattern. When it finds a match, it extracts all the log entries for the relevant message, not just those that match the pattern. Thus, exigrep can extract complete log entries for a given message, or all mail for a given user, or for a given host, for example. The -l flag means 'literal', that is, treat all characters in the pattern as standing for themselves. Otherwise the pattern must be a Perl regular expression. The pattern match is case-insensitive. If no file names are given on the command line, the standard input is read. If the location of a zcat command is known from the definition of ZCAT_COMMAND in Local/Makefile, exigrep automatically passes any file whose name ends in COMPRESS_SUFFIX through zcat as it searches it. BUGS
This manual page needs a major re-work. If somebody knows better groff than us and has more experience in writing manual pages, any patches would be greatly appreciated. SEE ALSO
exim(8), perlre(1), /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/ AUTHOR
This manual page was stitched together from spec.txt by Andreas Metzler <ametzler at downhill.at.eu.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). March 26, 2003 EXIGREP(8)