Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: memory stack problem
Top Forums Programming memory stack problem Post 80773 by Driver on Thursday 11th of August 2005 12:39:43 PM
Old 08-11-2005
Here's what I use to catch accidental variable modifications from other functions:

Code:
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/mman.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

void *
debug_alloc_pages(size_t nbytes) {
        long    psize = sysconf(_SC_PAGESIZE);
        size_t  npages = nbytes / psize;
        int             fd;
        void    *ret;

if (npages * psize < nbytes) {
                ++npages;
        }

#ifdef MAP_ANON
        ret = mmap(0, npages * psize, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE,
                MAP_ANON, -1, 0);
        if (ret == MAP_FAILED) {
                perror("mmap");
                exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
        }
#else
        /*
         * Use MAP_ANONYMOUS on HP-UX and mmap() with an 
         * fd for /dev/zero everywhere else
         */
        puts("debug_alloc_pages() does not work on this system");
        exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
#endif
        return ret;
}

Now, instead of writing

char buf[128];

... write

char *buf = debug_alloc_pages(128);

When you're done initializing ``buf'', do

(void) mprotect(buf, sysconf(_SC_PAGE_SIZE), PROT_READ);

In every function that is allowed to modify ``buf'', execute an

(void) mprotect(buf, sysconf(_SC_PAGE_SIZE), PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE);

... when you enter it and

(void) mprotect(buf, sysconf(_SC_PAGE_SIZE, PROT_READ);

... when you return from it.

An invalid write access should now yield a bus error or segmentation fault which will provide you with a core dump from which you can obtain a stack trace showing you which function attempted to modify the data.

Hope this helps

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stack problem

Hi, I'm a complete beginner at all this business so any help is appreciated. I have a script (not written by me) which I need to modify. My problems is.... tail -1c $file .... I understand this will return the final character of the $file variable. I need to make it return the first... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastaCow
4 Replies

2. Programming

how to round up a memory address(memory alignment problem)

Hi, I try to marshal a unsigned int and a char * into a buffer, and then unmarshal them later to get them out. I need to put the char * in the front and unsigned int at the end of the buffer. However, my system always give me "BUS ERROR". I am using Sun Sparcs Sloris 2.10. My code to marshal... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nj302
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

memory stack

Hello everbody: when issuing the ulimit -a, on my tru64 machone, I get the following: root@billing4# ulimit -a time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) 10485760 stack(kbytes) 32768 memory(kbytes) 10190528 coredump(blocks) 0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aladdin
1 Replies

4. Programming

what is stack winding and stack unwinding

helo can u tell me what do you mean by stack winding and stack unwinding Regards, Amit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

Problem with stack overflow

Hi, I get a problem with stack overflow on HP-UX, when running a C program. Pid 28737 received a SIGSEGV for stack growth failure. Possible causes: insufficient memory or swap space, or stack size exceeded maxssiz. The possible cause i found, was that the definition of a structure had... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikb23
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stack Memory

I have a java process that piles up the stack memory. ulimit -a core file size (blocks, -c) unlimited data seg size (kbytes, -d) unlimited file size (blocks, -f) unlimited open files (-n) 1024 pipe size (512 bytes, -p) 10 stack size ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kernel Stack vs User Mode Stack

Hi, I am new to the linux kernel development area. I want to know what is the difference between kernel mode stack and user mode stack? Does each process has a user mode stack and a kernel mode stack?? Or Each process has a user mode stack and there is only one kernel mode stack that is shared by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhkoar
4 Replies

8. Android

32MB USB Memory Stack Not Supported on Android?

Running latest Android for Galaxy Tab 8.9 and bought a 32GB USB flash memory stick for file transfers, etc. Would not work. Searched the net for clues and could not find any. Then, back at the IT store, found out that Galaxy Tab currently only supports up to 16GB for the USD flash memory stick.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
STACK(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						  STACK(9)

NAME
STACK -- stack macros SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> type STACK_ALLOC(sp, size); type STACK_MAX(sp, size); type STACK_ALIGN(sp, bytes); type STACK_GROW(sp, size); type STACK_SHRINK(sp, size); DESCRIPTION
A stack is an area of memory with a fixed origin but with a variable size. A stack pointer points to the most recently referenced location on the stack. Initially, when the stack has a size of zero, the stack pointer points to the origin of the stack. When data items are added to the stack, the stack pointer moves away from the origin. The STACK_ALLOC() macro returns a pointer to allocated stack space of some size. Given the returned pointer sp and size, STACK_MAX() returns the maximum stack address of the allocated stack space. The STACK_ALIGN() macro can be used to align the stack pointer sp by the specified amount of bytes. Two basic operations are common to all stacks: a data item is added (``push'') to the location pointed by sp or a data item is removed (``pop'') from the stack. The stack pointer must be subsequently adjusted by the size of the data item. The STACK_GROW() and STACK_SHRINK() macros adjust the stack pointer sp by given size. A stack may grow either up or down. The described macros take this into account by using the __MACHINE_STACK_GROWS_UP preprocessor define. SEE ALSO
param(3), queue(3) BSD
April 8, 2011 BSD