Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: spawning the same program
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users spawning the same program Post 80764 by Perderabo on Thursday 11th of August 2005 11:23:06 AM
Old 08-11-2005
system() run a command line to a shell. You can put an & at the end of any command line to background it. That works even with system.

You don't seem to be passing any args to script when you invoke it, so I'm not sure why exec isn't working. You did leave off argument 0 which is the name. I thought that was a trivial problem, but maybe it's important. So try it right.
execl("./reader", "reader", NULL);
All of this assumes that you have an executable shell script. Do you? What os are you using? What is the first line of the script?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

spawning new shells using dtterm in Solaris 8

Hi all, First time poster here. Great forum. Im trying to spawn new shells and pass commands to the new shells in a solaris 8 environment utilizing dtterm and its option -e. I can successfully spawn a window utilizing the following code: /usr/dt/bin/dtterm -display <ip.address> & ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rocketman8541
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spawning new shells from the command line in OpenStep 4.2

Hi all, Im trying to figure out what the command would be to launch terminal windows from the command line in Open Step 4.2 . (looking for something similiar like /usr/bin/xterm or /usr/bin/dtterm etc) echo $TERM = vt100 echo $SHELL = /bin/csh Im combing over alot of OpenStep 4.2 and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rocketman8541
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spawning a shell script

Hi there, I have a shell script which I need to run it from two different places on the same server, are there any specific rules I need to apply? What is the best practice to achieve this task. Regards (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JimJim
5 Replies

4. Programming

spawning multiple processes spread across two files

I want to spawn n child processes but have two different classes..with the foremost one forking/spawning the child process and the latter performing a function w/ the spawned processes. I can do this in one class with an if statement and the simple if((pid=fork())==0) //child process { ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: StrengthThaDon
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spawning multiple threads in Unix

Hi, I need to spawn mutilpe threads , each invoking a different set of shell scripts, in parallel. What would be the best way to do that. Any sample script would greatly help. I am a novice at Unix so any help is much appreciated. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: neeto
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Crontab spawning multiple at processes

Hi - I need help. My user crontab is spawning multiple at processes (and multiple mencoder program starts, that exit, then restart, repeatedly), locking up my system. For example I have this entry in my crontab: $ sudo crontab -u victoria -e * * * * * ~/recordings/pvr1 * * * * *... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gstuart
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help! imapd is spawning multiple processes, all of a sudden, for no reason!

Hi All, I need some assistance, if possible... Our IMAP server has recently (as of 10:30 GMT today) started spawning multiple processes for no reason! This is causing the mail server's load average to increase continually until the whole machine grinds to a halt. Here is a typical... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishsponge
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

lost the $ prompt - am I spawning shells??

When trying to get the correct syntax to cron a script that creates a file with the date stamp as its output, sometimes I get these results: - from the command line, I may encounter an error that leaves me without the usual $ prompt. Am I in a new shell? I try to exit it with 'exit' or :q! and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: landog
1 Replies

9. AIX

Multiple pconsole processes spawning indefinetly

Good night everyone, I've been trying to make AD authentication work with RBAC and I think I messed my test LPAR up. I've manually modified the /etc/security/user.roles file, adding a role to one of my AD users (who is not defined locally) and then runned setkst. It worked fine, but now I found... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Janpol
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spawning a TTY shell

Hi there, I would like to understand the purpose of spawning a TTY shell? Does it mean that it will help to open up a new Windows on the current interactive shell such that when the session gets lost the other won't Any explanation will be helpful. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
3 Replies
scotty(1)							 Tnm Tcl Extension							 scotty(1)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
scotty - A Tcl shell including the Tnm extensions. SYNOPSIS
scotty ?fileName arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
scotty is a Tcl interpreter with extensions to obtain status and configuration information about TCP/IP networks. After startup, scotty evaluates the commands stored in .scottyrc and .tclshrc in the home directory of the user. SCRIPT FILES
If scotty is invoked with arguments then the first argument is the name of a script file and any additional arguments are made available to the script as variables (see below). Instead of reading commands from standard input scotty will read Tcl commands from the named file; scotty will exit when it reaches the end of the file. If you create a Tcl script in a file whose first line is #!/usr/local/bin/scotty2.1.11 then you can invoke the script file directly from your shell if you mark the file as executable. This assumes that scotty has been installed in the default location in /usr/local/bin; if it's installed somewhere else then you'll have to modify the above line to match. Many UNIX systems do not allow the #! line to exceed about 30 characters in length, so be sure that the scotty executable can be accessed with a short file name. An even better approach is to start your script files with the following three lines: #!/bin/sh # the next line restarts using scotty exec scotty2.1.11 "$0" "$@" This approach has three advantages over the approach in the previous paragraph. First, the location of the scotty binary doesn't have to be hard-wired into the script: it can be anywhere in your shell search path. Second, it gets around the 30-character file name limit in the previous approach. Third, this approach will work even if scotty is itself a shell script (this is done on some systems in order to handle multiple architectures or operating systems: the scotty script selects one of several binaries to run). The three lines cause both sh and scotty to process the script, but the exec is only executed by sh. sh processes the script first; it treats the second line as a comment and executes the third line. The exec statement cause the shell to stop processing and instead to start up scotty to reprocess the entire script. When scotty starts up, it treats all three lines as comments, since the backslash at the end of the second line causes the third line to be treated as part of the comment on the second line. VARIABLES
Scotty sets the following Tcl variables: argc Contains a count of the number of arg arguments (0 if none), not including the name of the script file. argv Contains a Tcl list whose elements are the arg arguments, in order, or an empty string if there are no arg arguments. argv0 Contains fileName if it was specified. Otherwise, contains the name by which scotty was invoked. tcl_interactive Contains 1 if scotty is running interactively (no fileName was specified and standard input is a terminal-like device), 0 otherwise. PROMPTS
When scotty is invoked interactively it normally prompts for each command with ``% ''. You can change the prompt by setting the variables tcl_prompt1 and tcl_prompt2. If variable tcl_prompt1 exists then it must consist of a Tcl script to output a prompt; instead of out- putting a prompt scotty will evaluate the script in tcl_prompt1. The variable tcl_prompt2 is used in a similar way when a newline is typed but the current command isn't yet complete; if tcl_prompt2 isn't set then no prompt is output for incomplete commands. SEE ALSO
Tnm(n), Tcl(n) AUTHORS
Juergen Schoenwaelder <schoenw@cs.utwente.nl> Tnm scotty(1)