Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hex characters of ascii file
Operating Systems HP-UX Hex characters of ascii file Post 80702 by Perderabo on Wednesday 10th of August 2005 09:27:56 PM
Old 08-10-2005
Try:
od -h

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

converting hex to ascii

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone knows how to change hex code back into ascii. when i process a form: " / " turn to " %2F " " @ " turns to " %40 " " ' " turns to " %27 " " ( " turns to " %28 " " ) " turns to " %29 " this is my code so far: order.txt thanks, primal p.s.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: primal
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ascii To Hex

How will I display on screen a UNIX ascii file with its HEX equivalent. I want to check whether 0D 0A is coming at the end of the file which I am generating from UNIX. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: augustinep
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

convert hex to ascii text

Is there a command to convert hex characters into their respective ascii values? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
5 Replies

4. Programming

converaion ASCII to HEX

anyone knows any formulae or flow chart or procedure to convert ASCII characters into HEXA values... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thippeswamy
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert ascii values into ascii characters

Hi gurus, I have a file in unix with ascii values. I need to convert all the ascii values in the file to ascii characters. File contains nearly 20000 records with ascii values. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeeppvk
10 Replies

6. Programming

ascii to hex

Hello guys, i want to convert a text file to hex and have written this code : int main(int argc, char **argv) { ifstream file; string fileName = "CODEZ"; file.open(fileName.c_str()); // oeffen im Text-Modus if(file) {... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingbruce
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

New line characters in Ascii file

I am having a file(1234.txt) downloaded from windows server (in Ascii format).However when i ftp this file to Unix server and try to work with it..i am unable to do anything.When i try to open the file using vi editor the file opens in the following format ... @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: appu2176
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing these non-ASCII characters from a file

Hi, I have many text files which contain some non-ASCII characters. I attach the screenshots of one of the files for people to have a look at. The issue is even after issuing the non-ASCII removal commands one of the characters does not go away. The character that goes away is the black one with a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

9. HP-UX

Replacing Hex Characters In A File Using awk?

Hi guys, First off, i'm a complete noob to UNIX and LINUX so apologies if I don't understand the basics! I have a file which contains a hex value of '0D' at the end of each line when I look at it in a hex viewer. I need to change it so it contains a hex value of '0D0A0A' I thought... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: AndyBSG
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Hex to Ascii in a Ascii file

Hi All, I have an ascii file in which few columns are having hex values which i need to convert into ascii. Kindly suggest me what command can be used in unix shell scripting? Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
2 Replies
srec_ascii_hex(5)						File Formats Manual						 srec_ascii_hex(5)

NAME
srec_ascii_hex - Ascii-Hex file format DESCRIPTION
This format is also known as the Ascii-Space-Hex or Ascii-Hex-Space format. If you know who invented this format, please let me know. If you have a better or more complete description, I'd like to know that, too. The file starts with a start-of-text (STX or Control-B) character (0x02). Everything before the STX is ignored. Each data byte is represented as 2 hexadecimal characters, followed by an "execution character". The default execution character is a space, although many programs which write this format omit the space character immediately preceding end-of-line. The address for data bytes is set by using a sequence of $Annnn, characters, where nnnn is the 4-character ascii representation of the address. The comma is required. There is no need for an address record unless there are gaps. Implicitly, the file starts a address 0 if no address is set before the first data byte. The file ends with an end-of-text (ETX or Control-C) character (0x03). Everything following the ETX is ignored. It is also possible to specify a running 16-bit checksum using a sequence of $Snnnn, characters, although this usually appears after the ETX character and is thus often ignored. Variant Forms In addition to a space character, the execution character can also be percent (%) called "ascii-hex-percent" format, apostrophe (') or comma (,) called "ascii-hex-comma" format. The file must use the same execution character throughout. If the execution character is a comma, the address and checksum commands are terminated by a dot (.) rather than a comma (,). Size Multiplier In general, binary data will expand in sized by approximately 3.0 times when represented with this format. EXAMPLE
Here is an example ascii-hex file. It contains the data "Hello, World[rq] to be loaded at address 0x1000. ^B $A1000, 48 65 6C 6C 6F 2C 20 57 6F 72 6C 64 0A ^C COPYRIGHT
srec_cat version 1.58 Copyright (C) 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Peter Miller The srec_cat program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use the 'srec_cat -VERSion License' command. This is free software and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions; for details use the 'srec_cat -VERSion License' command. AUTHOR
Peter Miller E-Mail: pmiller@opensource.org.au //* WWW: http://miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/ Reference Manual SRecord srec_ascii_hex(5)