Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting difference between ksh and bsh Post 80581 by RTM on Tuesday 9th of August 2005 11:58:59 PM
Old 08-10-2005
Hmm, interesting question. Did you mean bsh or bash?

Or are you looking at bsh as some are using it as being Bourne shell (some distributions are using ksh for root account as default and moving sh to bsh).

Or are you looking for bsh - bean shell (java) ?

You'll need to check which bsh someone is asking you about.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

convert from ksh to bsh

How difficult is it to convert from bourn shell to korn shell and visversa. Reason: If someone bombsout or logs out incorrectly the application we are using give the next person to log in the same permissions as the person that bombed out. Therefore createing ownership problems on print files. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boyd Young
2 Replies

2. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Difference between ksh,bash and different shells.

Hello Everyone, Can someone please tell me the key difference between the different shells availabe i.e. ksh,bash,(i don't know the others ones. :confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: a25khan
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: difference between $* and $@

Please ignore. I found the answer at: https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/24557-difference-between.html (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
1 Replies

4. SCO

Bsh shell on SCO

I everybody! I am trying to install the bsh shell on a SCO unix and i don't know how. The deal is that i have an old SCO unix running with an old system made with cobol, so it works with shell menus and it use a variety of a shell called bsh (Business Shell) so i search for a package to install... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: martocapo
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fuser: difference with bin/sh and bin/ksh shell script

Hi, I have a problem I don't understand with fuser. I launch a simple shell script mysleep.sh: I launch the command fuser -fu mysleep.sh but fuser doesn't return anything excepted: mysleep: Then I modify my script switching from #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/ksh I launch the command fuser -fu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peuj
4 Replies

6. AIX

bsh problem

When I use bsh, and run "set -o vi" show the following error message: $set -o vi -o: 0402-003 A specified flag is not valid for this command. is my bsh problem or bsh use different command to do "set -o vi"? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference Between executing llike ./myscript.ksh and . ./myscript.ksh

Hi , What is the diffence between executing the script like ./myscript.ksh . ./myscript.ksh I have found 2 difference but could not find the reason 1. If i export a variable in myscript.ksh and execute it like . ./myscript.ksh the i can access the other scripts that are present in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: max_hammer
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Basic Query]bsh script in tcsh shell

I am a beginner (Just 2 days old:o ), i will really appreciate if you can solve my silly queries as below: Lets say i write a script like this #!/bin/bsh clear #to read name from keyboard echo "your name please.." read fname echo "you just entered $fname" exit 0 My environment is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference in dates in days (ksh shell)

Hi Guys, Need a small help, how do i get the difference between two dates (in days) in KSH shell My date is in mm/dd/YYYY format, Is there a function to get time stamp from the respective date and time ( mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: selvankj
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh to check second time difference between two servers

I am currently setting up a public key authentication between servers. The goal is to get the date via `ssh hostname date` on all the 4 remote servers , put the value in a text file on the central server and compare the date (specifically seconds) for each server date output to check if time is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: depam
7 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)