Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Connecting an external SCSI drive to a unix computer Post 80536 by teruotor on Tuesday 9th of August 2005 10:40:20 AM
Old 08-09-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarnauba
You are using an Ultra Sparc machine???

you already type the command "stop + a" and then "probe-scsi -all" to attach the device?
No I am not using an ultra sparc machine. I am using an intergraph pc with solaris OS loaded on.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

mounting an external scsi tape drive

hi- I just installed a quad gigaswift ethernet scsi card to my sunblade 150. I checked with the docs, and got all of the required drivers on the box. Now, I'm trying to mount an external scsi tape drive with no luck. I set the scsi address on the external drive to 0. Here's what I'm coming... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ECBROWN
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mount a network computer/drive in unix?

:D hey all, how do you scan/mount a network drive or computer/directory? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emplate
2 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

The best partitioning schem for a 250GB Sata hard drive & a 75GB SCSI hard drive

Hi I have 2 75GB SCSI hard drives and 2 250GB SATA hard drives which are using RAID Level 1 respectively. I wana have both FTP and Apache installed on them as services. I'm wondering what's the best partitioning schem? I wana use FC3 as my OS, so, I thought I can use the 75GB hard drive as the /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbijan
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing files on external USB drive using UNIX?

Hi Folks, I'm a serious UNIX newbie... I'm using a bash shell on Mac OS X. Basically I took up unix in order to use a specific image processing software package... I've learned enough to write a script to batch process all of my images, but I have so many that I would like to use an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Slanter
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

External SCSI hard drive

Someone gave me a small external SCSI hard drive for my SunOS 5.8 test system. How do I make Unix see the hard drive? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Unix command to remove external SCSI harddrive

Hi All, I have an external scsi harddrive (HD) connected directly to the workstation. I understand when the external HD is connected and turned on, and type in "devfsadm" command. Unix will detect it but not mount the drive. So by typing in "format" command it will display the following: #... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlee
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Connect an External SCSI Hard Drive to Ultra 80

Guys, I have googled and checked this forum in detail and couldn't find any satisfactory answers for my problem. I am trying to connect a external SCSI hard Drive(Sea Gate) to a Ultra 80. I connected it powered it up and at OK prompt did : boot -r system comes up and complains about not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajnabi
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing UNIX and booting from External Hard Drive

Hello I have a new project being kicked off next month and i should learn UNIX fast. I have never used UNIX before so i have the following questions: 1) Is any UNIX free to install? 2) Can i install and boot UNIX from an External Hard Drive (The system board on my laptop crashed so i took the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pipsonian
2 Replies

9. SCO

Moving hard drive and SCSI adapter to another computer

OK group, it's been 12 years since I worked with SCO. I need some direction here: SCO Openserver 5.07 I have a server with a bad motherboard. I have moved the SCSI adapter and hard drive to another computer. This new server has different hardware so I must install the chipset drivers for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jscholz
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to Install UNIX on an External Drive?

Hello, I'm running Windows 10, but I wish to install UNIX on an external drive and not my internal drive. Also, I'm not quite sure what UNIX to install? I also want to install the GNAT compiler so that I can also practice Ada programming. I will appreciate all help, CMN (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CMN
2 Replies
probe(9E)							Driver Entry Points							 probe(9E)

NAME
probe - determine if a non-self-identifying device is present SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/conf.h> #include <sys/ddi.h> #include <sys/sunddi.h> static intprefixprobe(dev_info_t *dip); INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris DDI specific (Solaris DDI). This entry point is required for non-self-identifying devices. You must write it for such devices. For self-identifying devices, nulldev(9F) should be specified in the dev_ops(9S) structure if a probe routine is not necessary. ARGUMENTS
dip Pointer to the device's dev_info structure. DESCRIPTION
probe() determines whether the device corresponding to dip actually exists and is a valid device for this driver. probe() is called after identify(9E) and before attach(9E) for a given dip. For example, the probe() routine can map the device registers using ddi_map_regs(9F) then attempt to access the hardware using ddi_peek(9F) or ddi_poke(9F) and determine if the device exists. Then the device registers should be unmapped using ddi_unmap_regs(9F). To probe a device that was left powered off after the last detach(), it might be necessary to power it up. If so, the driver must power up the device by accessing device registers directly. pm_raise_power(9F) will be not be available until attach(9E). The framework ensures that the ancestors of the node being probed and all relevant platform-specific power management hardware is at full power at the time that probe() is called. probe() should only probe the device. It should not change any software state and should not create any software state. Device initializa- tion should be done in attach(9E). For a self-identifying device, this entry point is not necessary. However, if a device exists in both self-identifying and non-self-iden- tifying forms, a probe() routine can be provided to simplify the driver. ddi_dev_is_sid(9F) can then be used to determine whether probe() needs to do any work. See ddi_dev_is_sid(9F) for an example. RETURN VALUES
"small and bold">DDI_PROIf_theCprobe was successful. DDI_PROBE_FAILURE If the probe failed. DDI_PROBE_DONTCARE If the probe was unsuccessful, yet attach(9E) should still be called. DDI_PROBE_PARTIAL If the instance is not present now, but may be present in the future. SEE ALSO
attach(9E), identify(9E), ddi_dev_is_sid(9F), ddi_map_regs(9F), ddi_peek(9F), ddi_poke(9F), nulldev(9F), dev_ops(9S) Writing Device Drivers SunOS 5.10 18 Nov 1992 probe(9E)