Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers combine 2 lines (command & echo) Post 8038 by primal on Thursday 4th of October 2001 10:06:39 PM
Old 10-04-2001
Question combine 2 lines (command & echo)

does anyone know how to combine 2 lines? this is what im playing around with.

(filename: online, user name: prml0001, real name: primal)
Code:
#!/bin/sh
who | grep $1 > /dev/null

if [ $? = "0" ]
then     
   grep $1 /etc/passwd | cut -f 5, -d :
   echo is logged on
   exit 0
else 
   grep $1 /etc/passwd | cut -f 5, -d :
   echo is not logged on
   exit 0
fi

execute:
$ online prml0001

output:
primal
is logged on

is there anyway to get "primal" & "is logged on" on the same line?

thanks!
-primal

added code tags for readability --oombera

Last edited by oombera; 02-20-2004 at 10:32 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combine two lines

Hi I have a file with the records 1 A B C D 2 E F G H 3 I J K L 4 M N O P In the ouput I want 1 A B C D 2 # F G H 3 I J K L 4 M N O P How to achieve this? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: superprg
10 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

[[ $(date +%Y) == 2007 ]] && echo "Happy New Year"

Same as the Title! :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

combine 2 lines

Moderator, kindly delete this thread because I already found what I needed... thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deanne
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

combine two perl lines into a single perl command

Hi Everyone, i have a string 00:44:40 so: $tmp=~ s/://gi; $tmp=~s/({2})({2})({2})/$1*3600+$2*60+$3/e; the output is 2680. Any way to combine this two lines into a single line? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append && echo "success" to all commands

I am learning to build from SVN and other tools, with a lot of copying and pasting from forums. I like to append && echo "success" to all commands so that I can see at a glance if things went all right. Is there a way that I can have the bash shell append this to all commands? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotancohen
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: combine Backtick & system() I/O operation?

Hi - Within perl I want to execute a system command. I want to re-direct all the output from the command to a file (@result = `$cmd`;), but I ALSO want the results to be displayed on the screen (system("$cmd"); The reason is this - if the command completes, I want to process the output. If the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffw_00
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to combine lines?

Hi, I have a file like this: "sdfc@abc.com","arovls","some addr ", "more stuff" "ssss@email.com","arovls","some addr", "sss" "edx@email.com","arovls","some addr", "sssdfvv" "ssss@a55.com","arovls","some addr", "lsdsdgf" "ssss@0234.com","aro vls","123 Main", "lSdfv" I want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: erniel
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to combine 2 files and output the unique & difference?

Hi Guys, I have two input files and I want to combine them and get the unique values and differences and put them into one file. See below desired output file. Inputfile1: 1111111 2222222 3333333 7860068 7860069 7860071 7860072 Inputfile2: 4444444 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinpe
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine lines if fields match in lines

In the awk below, what I am attempting to do is check each line in the tab-delimeted input, which has ~20 lines in it, for a keyword SVTYPE=Fusion. If the keyword is found I am splitting $3 using the . (dot) and reading the portion before and after the dot in an array a. If it does have that... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines that do not start with digit and combine line or lines

I have been searching and trying to come up with an awk that will perform the following on a converted text file (original is a pdf). 1. Since the first two lines are (begin with) text they are removed 2. if $1 is a number then all text is merged (combined) into one line until the next... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
LIBLINEAR-TRAIN(1)					      General Commands Manual						LIBLINEAR-TRAIN(1)

NAME
liblinear-train - train a linear classifier and produce a model SYNOPSIS
liblinear-train [options] training_set_file [model_file] DESCRIPTION
liblinear-train trains a linear classifier using liblinear and produces a model suitable for use with liblinear-predict(1). training_set_file is the file containing the data used for training. model_file is the file to which the model will be saved. If model_file is not provided, it defaults to training_set_file.model. To obtain good performances, sometimes one needs to scale the data. This can be done with svm-scale(1). OPTIONS
A summary of options is included below. -s type Set the type of the solver: 0 ... L2-regularized logistic regression 1 ... L2-regularized L2-loss support vector classification (dual) (default) 2 ... L2-regularized L2-loss support vector classification (primal) 3 ... L2-regularized L1-loss support vector classification (dual) 4 ... multi-class support vector classification 5 ... L1-regularized L2-loss support vector classification 6 ... L1-regularized logistic regression 7 ... L2-regularized logistic regression (dual) -c cost Set the parameter C (default: 1) -e epsilon Set the tolerance of the termination criterion For -s 0 and 2: |f'(w)|_2 <= epsilon*min(pos,neg)/l*|f'(w0)_2, where f is the primal function and pos/neg are the number of positive/negative data (default: 0.01) For -s 1, 3, 4 and 7: Dual maximal violation <= epsilon; similar to libsvm (default: 0.1) For -s 5 and 6: |f'(w)|_inf <= epsilon*min(pos,neg)/l*|f'(w0)|_inf, where f is the primal function (default: 0.01) -B bias If bias >= 0, then instance x becomes [x; bias]; if bias < 0, then no bias term is added (default: -1) -wi weight Weight-adjusts the parameter C of class i by the value weight -v n n-fold cross validation mode -q Quiet mode (no outputs). EXAMPLES
Train a linear SVM using L2-loss function: liblinear-train data_file Train a logistic regression model: liblinear-train -s 0 data_file Do five-fold cross-validation using L2-loss SVM, using a smaller stopping tolerance 0.001 instead of the default 0.1 for more accurate solutions: liblinear-train -v 5 -e 0.001 data_file Train four classifiers: positive negative Cp Cn class 1 class 2,3,4 20 10 class 2 class 1,3,4 50 10 class 3 class 1,2,4 20 10 class 4 class 1,2,3 10 10 liblinear-train -c 10 -w1 2 -w2 5 -w3 2 four_class_data_file If there are only two classes, we train ONE model. The C values for the two classes are 10 and 50: liblinear-train -c 10 -w3 1 -w2 5 two_class_data_file Output probability estimates (for logistic regression only) using liblinear-predict(1): liblinear-predict -b 1 test_file data_file.model output_file SEE ALSO
liblinear-predict(1), svm-predict(1), svm-train(1) AUTHORS
liblinear-train was written by the LIBLINEAR authors at National Taiwan university for the LIBLINEAR Project. This manual page was written by Christian Kastner <debian@kvr.at>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). March 08, 2011 LIBLINEAR-TRAIN(1)