Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers removing parts of a line with SED Post 80249 by gammaman on Thursday 4th of August 2005 06:24:23 PM
Old 08-04-2005
removing parts of a line with SED

hi,

i'm trying to erase all the characters after, and including, the first [ bracket.
Example: test1 test2 test3 [test4 test5] test test [a b c]
Output: test1 test2 test3

this is what I tried, but didn't work
sed "s/*[$[]//" file > testfilename

any suggestions?

thanks,
gammmaman

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing parts of a specific field

All, I have a field in a comma seperated file with hundreds of lines and about 20 columns and I wish to remove all numbers after the decimal point in field 4 on each line and output the rest to another file or write it back to itself. File is like this 20070126, 123.0, GBP, 1234.5678,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kieranh
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing a line containing a pattern in sed

i need to use sed to remove an entire line containing a pattern stored in a variable say $var1 this var1 will be a URL and will therefore contain slashes any help would be greatly appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Fire_Storm
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed question (Removing a line of text)

I am working with bash on HP-UX server at school. As practice for scripting, I am trying to make a pretend server admin script that adds a user to the system, deletes a user from the system, and lists all users of the pretend system. I have accomplished this with a select loop. Adding users, and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: masterscout1977
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing end of line using SED

Hello Friends, How can I remove the last two values of this line using sed John Carey:507-699-5368:29 Albert way, Edmonton, AL 25638:9/3/90:45900 The result should look like this: John Carey:507-699-5368:29 Albert way, Edmonton, AL 25638 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: humkhn
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed removing until end of line

All: Can somebody help me out with a sed command, which removes the the first occurance of ')' until the end of the line If I have the following input ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed or awk - removing part of line?

hi all, I am having trouble finding the right string for this - I dont know whether to use awk or sed.. If I have a file with alot of names and phone numbers like this McGowan,Sean 978-934-4000 Kilcoyne,Kathleen 603-555-1212 Club603,The 617-505-1332 Boyle,William 301-444-1221 And... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: alis
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Removing all characters from token to end of line

Hello. The token is any printable characters between 2 " . The token is unknown, but we know that it is between 2 " Tok 1 : "1234x567" Tok 2 : "A3b6+None" Tok 3 : "A3b6!1234=@" The ligne is : Line 1 : "9876xABCDE"Do you have any code fragments or data samples in your post Line 2 : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split line in 4 parts

Hi Guys, I have file A.txt 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Want Output :- 1 2 3 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract parts of the line

I have a long list of lines in a txt file which i'm only interested to extract the list of domains like the colored ones. domain.com domain.com/page codes $.09 domain.org domain.org/page2/ codes $0.10 domain.net domain.net/page03 codes $0.05 domain.info ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: garfish
3 Replies

10. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

How to prevent sed command removing whole line?

hello, I'm using sed command to extract the text between 2 special characters which are /* and */ I used following command to do this. sed -n '/\/\*/,/\*\//p' file.txt But if the file.txt contains a line something like this, a=5; /* this is a comment */ the above command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginner_99
3 Replies
oss_imux(7)							    OSS Devices 						       oss_imux(7)

NAME
oss_imux - Input Muplexer audio driver. DESCRIPTION
IMUX is a virtual recording engine that permits up to 8 audio recording applications to run at the same time. Generally most soundcards permit only a single recording application to record the input source (via mic, line or CD). With IMUX, you can use up to 8 recording applications to record the same source in different sample rates, bits/sample and channels (mono/stereo). IMUX does all the rate and for- mat conversion in software. The applications think that they are actually getting data from the physical device. For instance, if you want to record the input from a CDROM in .wav format at 48Khz/8/Mono and at the same time you want to record the same stream in .mp3 format in 44.1Khz 16 bit stereo, with IMUX, you can start the wave recording application on the first IMUX device and start the MP3 encoder on the second IMUX device and both applications will run simultaneously thinking that they are getting data from the physical soundcard. CONFIGURATION
To add the IMUX driver you first need to ensure that there is a physical soundcard present and then you can run ossdetect -i to add it. You may want to select a master device by setting imux_masterdev, but the autodetection should provide a good default. After OSS restart, imux should be available. USAGE
Connect an input source to the soundcard's line-in jack. Using the Mixer app like ossmix (or any OSS compliant mixer) set the recording source to Line-In (eg ossmix line.rec ON) Now you can start recording the input in multiple formats and at different sample rates. The sim- plest example is: ossrecord -s48000 -b16 -c2 -d/dev/oss/oss_imux0/pcmin0 test1.wav & ossrecord -s8000 -b8 -d/dev/oss/oss_imux0/pcmin0 test2.wav & After a few minutes of recording you can stop them by placing the command in forground mode (type fg %1 or fg %2) and press ^c to stop. You now have two wav format files. test1.wav is a 48KHz 16bit stereo file and test2.wav is a 8Khz 8bit Mono file. You can now playback the files as follows: o ossplay -v test1.wav and it should show you that the file is indeed 48Khz 16bit stereo. o ossplay -v test2.wav - you should see that this file is indeed a 8Khz 8bit mono file. What you have essentially accomplished is recording a single input stream into two different formats at the same time. You can now extend this analogy to record the input in mp3 format and RealAudio format simultaneously. The IMUX control panel can be displayed by typing ossxmix -d<imux mixer number> (for e.g. in the above example, IMUX mixer is #2 so we type ossxmix -d2 There are record level control sliders for each input channel and it will show activity when a recording program is active on a particular channel. OPTIONS
o imux_masterdev: Selects which physical device to use as the Master device for the IMUX driver. Values: -1: automatically selected by OSS, 1-N: Audio device index of the master device (as reported by ossinfo -a), Default: -1. o imux_rate: Specifies what is the base sampling rate used by the imux driver. Values: 5000-96000 Default: 48000 o imux_devices: Specifies number of Input Multiplexer devices to setup. Values: 2-48 Default: 5 FILES
/etc/oss4/conf/oss_imux.conf Device configuration file AUTHOR
4Front Technologies 16 December 2012 oss_imux(7)