Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers AT job scheduled exactly 2 hours late Post 80248 by Perderabo on Thursday 4th of August 2005 05:48:33 PM
Old 08-04-2005
None of that really helps very much.
TZ=US/Eastern
TZ=sjssjjdjdjdeerr
and TZ=any-other-illegal-string
should all give the same results. What happened to case zero (TZ=:/usr/lib/locale/TZ/US/Eastern )? All three commands should find your zone file if you use that. Your zdump of the default GMT timezone file doesn't tell me much. Your at command works when you use it. It's the other timezone file that I think is screwy. In the SunOS source code for at.c, the last operation done on the constructed time is:
if (localtime(&when)->tm_isdst) when -= (timezone-altzone);

Your case 1 does suggest that the commands themselves may be at different rev levels. Have you compared the executables between the systems that work and the systems that fail? This is a new symptom that may or may not be related to the misbehavior when you use TZ with a full path. But to look at this... you might have a file /usr/include/tzfile.h that defines a constant called TZDIR. See if you can find the value of that constant.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditional File Movement script scheduled using CRON job

Hi All, i am trying to automate a process and have to create a unix script like wise. I have a scenario in which i need to automate a file movement. Below are the steps i need to automate. 1. Check whether a file (Not Fixed name-Pattern search of file say 'E*.dat') is present in a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: imu
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem when the script is scheduled to run as cron job

Hello, I have problem in executing a shell script. When the shell script is executed at the shell prompt the script works successfully but when the same script is run as a cron job it fails to execute the files called within the shell script. I have scheduled the job in my crontab file as ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: forumthreads
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Scheduled job

I have a lot of jobs scheduled using at command. at -l gives only the job names and time ... how do i know which script is associated with which jobid. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blackeyed
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job for every five minutes and between hours

Hi I need to run a script every five minutes and it should run between 07-15 hours all days. How i can achieve this... i tried like this */5 07-15 * * * /scripts/CreateFtpData.sh It throws an error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
1 Replies

5. Programming

Oracle Scheduled job not running as per schedule.

Hi, Though this is a unix forum mainly, am posting this oracle query here hoping to get a resolution. I have set up two scheduled jobs in oracle 11g for executiong a procedure in specific time intervals. One as Hourly and other as minutely. But the scheduled jobs are not running as per... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh_kb211
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

at -l doesnt give details of the scheduled job. How to get the details?

I have scheduled couple of shell scripts to run using 'at' command. The o/p of at -l is: $ at -l 1320904800.a Thu Nov 10 01:00:00 2011 1320894000.a Wed Nov 9 22:00:00 2011 1320876000.a Wed Nov 9 17:00:00 2011 $ uname -a SunOS dc2prcrptetl2 5.9 Generic_122300-54 sun4u sparc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: superparticle
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

run unix script as scheduled job

Hi, I want my unix script to run as a scheduled job such that the script is invoked once every 15 minutes. Is there any way to achieve this other than running the script as a cron job? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vignesh53
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scheduled job not running automatically in crontab

i have a job scheduled in crontab. The problem is, it is not running automatically as per the time scheduled. But runs when executed manually. What would be the problem? Help me with this please. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santhosh CJ
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cron job scheduled is running once, but reports are generating twice

Team, Hope you all are doing fine I have one admin server which is being used dedicately to run cron jobs on hourly basis, fetching the details from Database which is in a different server.These cronjob are run on every hourly/5 minutes basis depending as per end user requirement.The script... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: whizkidash
12 Replies
TZSET(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  TZSET(3)

NAME
tzset, tzname, timezone, daylight - initialize time conversion information SYNOPSIS
#include <time.h> void tzset (void); extern char *tzname[2]; extern long timezone; extern int daylight; Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): tzset(): _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 1 || _XOPEN_SOURCE || _POSIX_SOURCE tzname: _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 1 || _XOPEN_SOURCE || _POSIX_SOURCE timezone: _SVID_SOURCE || _XOPEN_SOURCE daylight: _SVID_SOURCE || _XOPEN_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
The tzset() function initializes the tzname variable from the TZ environment variable. This function is automatically called by the other time conversion functions that depend on the timezone. In a System-V-like environment, it will also set the variables timezone (seconds West of UTC) and daylight (to 0 if this timezone does not have any daylight saving time rules, or to nonzero if there is a time during the year when daylight saving time applies). If the TZ variable does not appear in the environment, the tzname variable is initialized with the best approximation of local wall clock time, as specified by the tzfile(5)-format file localtime found in the system timezone directory (see below). (One also often sees /etc/localtime used here, a symlink to the right file in the system timezone directory.) If the TZ variable does appear in the environment but its value is empty or its value cannot be interpreted using any of the formats speci- fied below, Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) is used. The value of TZ can be one of three formats. The first format is used when there is no daylight saving time in the local timezone: std offset The std string specifies the name of the timezone and must be three or more alphabetic characters. The offset string immediately follows std and specifies the time value to be added to the local time to get Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). The offset is positive if the local timezone is west of the Prime Meridian and negative if it is east. The hour must be between 0 and 24, and the minutes and seconds 0 and 59. The second format is used when there is daylight saving time: std offset dst [offset],start[/time],end[/time] There are no spaces in the specification. The initial std and offset specify the standard timezone, as described above. The dst string and offset specify the name and offset for the corresponding daylight saving timezone. If the offset is omitted, it default to one hour ahead of standard time. The start field specifies when daylight saving time goes into effect and the end field specifies when the change is made back to standard time. These fields may have the following formats: Jn This specifies the Julian day with n between 1 and 365. February 29 is never counted even in leap years. n This specifies the Julian day with n between 1 and 365. February 29 is counted in leap years. Mm.w.d This specifies day d (0 <= d <= 6) of week w (1 <= w <= 5) of month m (1 <= m <= 12). Week 1 is the first week in which day d occurs and week 5 is the last week in which day d occurs. Day 0 is a Sunday. The time fields specify when, in the local time currently in effect, the change to the other time occurs. If omitted, the default is 02:00:00. Here is an example for New Zealand, where the standard time (NZST) is 12 hours ahead of UTC, and daylight saving time (NZDT), 13 hours ahead of UTC, runs from the first Sunday in October to the third Sunday in March, and the changeovers happen at the default time of 02:00:00: TZ="NZST-12.00:00NZDT-13:00:00,M10.1.0,M3.3.0" The third format specifies that the timezone information should be read from a file: :[filespec] If the file specification filespec is omitted, the timezone information is read from the file localtime in the system timezone directory, which nowadays usually is /usr/share/zoneinfo. This file is in tzfile(5) format. If filespec is given, it specifies another tzfile(5)-format file to read the timezone information from. If filespec does not begin with a '/', the file specification is relative to the system timezone directory. Here's an example, once more for New Zealand: TZ=":Pacific/Auckland" FILES
The system timezone directory used depends on the (g)libc version. Libc4 and libc5 use /usr/lib/zoneinfo, and, since libc-5.4.6, when this doesn't work, will try /usr/share/zoneinfo. Glibc2 will use the environment variable TZDIR, when that exists. Its default depends on how it was installed, but normally is /usr/share/zoneinfo. This timezone directory contains the files localtime local timezone file posixrules rules for POSIX-style TZ's Often /etc/localtime is a symlink to the file localtime or to the correct timezone file in the system timezone directory. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, POSIX.1-2001, 4.3BSD. NOTES
Note that the variable daylight does not indicate that daylight saving time applies right now. It used to give the number of some algo- rithm (see the variable tz_dsttime in gettimeofday(2)). It has been obsolete for many years but is required by SUSv2. 4.3BSD had a function char *timezone(zone, dst) that returned the name of the timezone corresponding to its first argument (minutes West of UTC). If the second argument was 0, the standard name was used, otherwise the daylight saving time version. SEE ALSO
date(1), gettimeofday(2), time(2), ctime(3), getenv(3), tzfile(5) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2010-02-25 TZSET(3)