Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Breaking input with "read" command Post 80225 by vgersh99 on Thursday 4th of August 2005 11:30:22 AM
Old 08-04-2005
it works fine on Solaris, but breaks on RH.
the "problem" is read-ing the vars off the 'pipe' - reading off the pipe creats a child process. Once read-ing is done, child process exits - no vars get exported to the parent.

Just as an illustration:
Code:
#! /bin/ksh
# per.sh
typeset -R2 HOUR=00
typeset -R2 MIN=00
typeset -R2 SEC=00

TIME=09:12:23
echo "${TIME}" > /tmp/vino.txt
IFS=" :" read HOUR MIN SEC < /tmp/vino.txt
echo $HOUR$MIN$SEC
echo $TIME

Last edited by vgersh99; 08-04-2005 at 01:03 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Giving "read" from standard input a timeout.

I want to prompt a user for input but I want it to timeout after a specified time if no response is given. I tried the sleep command but this does not work. I am using ksh. Thanks. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rello
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum input file size in "Diff" Command

Hello, Can anyone let me know what is the maximum file size that can be given as input for the "Diff" Command in Unix? I have a file size as large as 28MB and which can also increase. Will I face any issues with such a file size. If yes, What is the other alternative. Thanks in advance for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neeraja
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read -p "prompt text" foo say "read: bad option(s)" in Bourne-Shell

Hallo, i need a Prompting read in my script: read -p "Enter your command: " command But i always get this Error: -p: is not an identifier When I run these in c-shell i get this error /usr/bin/read: read: bad option(s) How can I use a Prompt in the read command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiseguy
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating input into the shell "read" command

Hi All I have a migration program that creates directories based on dates, e.g 20090714 20090812 etc.. Based on their requirements, the user will select the directory they want to perform an action on. Currently, this is a snippet of the code I use no_of_versions=`ls | wc -l` if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpin2502
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Breaking "while read" also breaks the parent process

Hi, I'm a bit confused. Maybe some master can explain to me what is happening. I have a program that starts issuing output about himself loading. I want to run it in another thread but I want to wait untill it's fully loaded. Program sample: $ cat myprogram echo "loading" echo "almost... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from "list1" and list matches in "list2"

I want to print any matching IP addresse in List1 with List 2; List 1 List of IP addresses; 161.85.58.210 250.57.15.129 217.23.162.249 74.76.129.101 30.221.177.237 3.147.200.59 170.58.142.64 127.65.109.33 150.167.242.146 223.3.20.186 25.181.180.99 2.55.199.32 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop breaking when using "ssh" command inside

Hi , I am trying to read a list of hosts from a config file and trying to get file list from that host. For this I have used one while loop. cat "$ARCHIVE_CFG_FILE" | sed '/^$/d' | sed '/^#/d' | while read ARCHIVE_CFG do SOURCE_SERVER_NAME=`echo "$ARCHIVE_CFG" | awk -F '|' '{ print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid "Too many arguments" error, when passing a long String literal as input to a command?

Hi, I am using awk here. Inside an awk script, I have a variable which contains a very long XML data in string format (500kb). I want to pass this data (as argument) to curl command using system function. But getting Too many arguments error due to length of string data(payloadBlock). I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cool.aquarian
4 Replies
PROC_OPEN(3)								 1							      PROC_OPEN(3)

proc_open - Execute a command and open file pointers for input/output

SYNOPSIS
resource proc_open (string $cmd, array $descriptorspec, array &$pipes, [string $cwd], [array $env], [array $other_options]) DESCRIPTION
proc_open(3) is similar to popen(3) but provides a much greater degree of control over the program execution. PARAMETERS
o $cmd - The command to execute o $descriptorspec - An indexed array where the key represents the descriptor number and the value represents how PHP will pass that descriptor to the child process. 0 is stdin, 1 is stdout, while 2 is stderr. Each element can be: oAn array describing the pipe to pass to the process. The first element is the descriptor type and the second element is an option for the given type. Valid types are pipe (the second element is either r to pass the read end of the pipe to the process, or w to pass the write end) and file (the second element is a filename). o A stream resource representing a real file descriptor (e.g. opened file, a socket, STDIN). The file descriptor numbers are not limited to 0, 1 and 2 - you may specify any valid file descriptor number and it will be passed to the child process. This allows your script to interoperate with other scripts that run as "co-processes". In particular, this is useful for passing passphrases to programs like PGP, GPG and openssl in a more secure manner. It is also useful for reading status information provided by those programs on auxiliary file descriptors. o $pipes - Will be set to an indexed array of file pointers that correspond to PHP's end of any pipes that are created. o $cwd - The initial working dir for the command. This must be an absolute directory path, or NULL if you want to use the default value (the working dir of the current PHP process) o $env - An array with the environment variables for the command that will be run, or NULL to use the same environment as the current PHP process o $other_options - Allows you to specify additional options. Currently supported options include: o suppress_errors (windows only): suppresses errors generated by this function when it's set to TRUE o bypass_shell (windows only): bypass cmd.exe shell when set to TRUE RETURN VALUES
Returns a resource representing the process, which should be freed using proc_close(3) when you are finished with it. On failure returns FALSE. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.2.1 | | | | | | | Added the bypass_shell option to the | | | $other_options parameter. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 A proc_open(3) example <?php $descriptorspec = array( 0 => array("pipe", "r"), // stdin is a pipe that the child will read from 1 => array("pipe", "w"), // stdout is a pipe that the child will write to 2 => array("file", "/tmp/error-output.txt", "a") // stderr is a file to write to ); $cwd = '/tmp'; $env = array('some_option' => 'aeiou'); $process = proc_open('php', $descriptorspec, $pipes, $cwd, $env); if (is_resource($process)) { // $pipes now looks like this: // 0 => writeable handle connected to child stdin // 1 => readable handle connected to child stdout // Any error output will be appended to /tmp/error-output.txt fwrite($pipes[0], '<?php print_r($_ENV); ?>'); fclose($pipes[0]); echo stream_get_contents($pipes[1]); fclose($pipes[1]); // It is important that you close any pipes before calling // proc_close in order to avoid a deadlock $return_value = proc_close($process); echo "command returned $return_value "; } ?> The above example will output something similar to: Array ( [some_option] => aeiou [PWD] => /tmp [SHLVL] => 1 [_] => /usr/local/bin/php ) command returned 0 NOTES
Note Windows compatibility: Descriptors beyond 2 (stderr) are made available to the child process as inheritable handles, but since the Windows architecture does not associate file descriptor numbers with low-level handles, the child process does not (yet) have a means of accessing those handles. Stdin, stdout and stderr work as expected. Note If you only need a uni-directional (one-way) process pipe, use popen(3) instead, as it is much easier to use. SEE ALSO
popen(3), exec(3), system(3), passthru(3), stream_select(3), The backtick operator. PHP Documentation Group PROC_OPEN(3)