Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: doubt in sed
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers doubt in sed Post 80126 by matrixmadhan on Wednesday 3rd of August 2005 11:29:04 AM
Old 08-03-2005
Thanks,

I had already tried the very same thing that u had provided

echo "tt" | sed 's/$/$VAR/'

ended in vain.

But,
echo "tt" | sed "s/$/$VAR/"

came up with an answer.

Could you please help me with difference between ' and " in sed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

doubt it sed

Hello.. i want to use variable in sed.. like sed 's/ROOTMAILID/$variable/g' conf.test but its not working.. please help thanks in advance esham (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Doubt in SED command

PLEASE EXPLANIN ME... sed 's~\(.*\)\(<name>\)\(.*\)\(</name>\)\(.*\)~\2\3\4~' this is the format <start><name>123<\name><addr>BAC<\addr><loc>sfo<\loc></start> (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gksenthilkumar
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic SED doubt

Hi Friends!! I want to add a / at the end of a number. for example i have CQ65758 /, in this case i want to shift that backspace one space to the left so the my result becomes CQ65758/. How can i do that with sed. Thanks Adi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asirohi
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

A sed doubt - need explanation

Hi, The following command works fine for me, but I could not grasp the logic working behind of sed command, it's obscure to me :( :confused: echo "./20080916/core/audioex.amr" | sed "s%\(\)/%\1_%g" o/p: ./20080916_core_audioex.amr Could anyone please explain to me in detail, that how... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command doubt

i have input files like this SFE_DOC_DATE (SFE_DOC_DATE:UniChar.:): "04/18/20" SFE_PSTNG_DATE (SFE_PSTNG_DATE:UniChar.:): "04/18/20" SFE_CREATEDON (SFE_CREATEDON:UniChar.:): "05/31/20" SFE_CLEAR_DATE (SFE_CLEAR_DATE:UniChar.:): "(NULL)" SFE_CLR_DOC_NO... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopal_Engg
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed doubt...

Hi, i need find and replace a sting with a new variable having value as spaces in between. Eg: set a = "i am variable" set b = "i am second" sed -e 's/find_string/'$a'/g' -e 's/find2_str/'$b'/g' input_file here it is giving error... How to get an varaible, which is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanth.vadalur
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed doubt in extracting

Hi, Can anyone help me in understanding how the below code works? echo "texxt" | sed 's///' gives output exxt, ideally it should give xxt. as this should remove the chars which is not x. echo 'x_a_b_a_c_a_d' | sed 's/.*\(a\)/\1/' gives output as a_d, which should be 'a' as it's the only... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed basic doubt

Hi , what is the equivalent of below awk in sed. awk '$1=="ABC"&&$2=="XYZ" {print $0}' infile Thanks, Shruthi (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shruthidwh
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed q predicate doubt

Hi, Could anyone please explain me what the following command does? sed -ne "/\"$var\"/{=;q}" file (1 Reply)
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doubt in sed

Hi All Can some one explain what does the given two sed commands do :confused: sed "s/\'/\\\'/g" | sed 's/\"/\\\"/g' Please find the sample code i used to find out what this is doing , but it has confused me more :wall: $ cat sri1.txt \ ' " $ sed 's/\"/\\\"/g' sri1.txt \ '... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
5 Replies
cvm-sql(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual						cvm-sql(7)

NAME
cvm-sql - CVM SQL Framework QUERY SUBSTITUTION
$VAR and ${VAR} are replaced with the quoted value of the environment variable named VAR. Use the second form when VAR contains anything other than alpha-numeric or underscore (_) characters. Do not include quotes in the query. The variables account and domain contain the account and domain names given by the CVM client. $$ is replaced with a single dollar sign. QUERY RESULTS
The query must produce the following fields exactly in order. All required fields must not be null or empty. 1. Password, encrypted with crypt(3) (required) 2. Actual account name (required) 3. User ID (integer) (required) 4. Group ID (integer) (required) 5. Directory (required) 6. Real name (optional) 7. Login shell (optional) 8. Group name (optional) 9. Domain name (optional) 10. System account name (optional) 11. System account directory (optional) 12. Mailbox path (optional) DEFAULT QUERY
SELECT password, username, userid, groupid, directory, realname, shell, groupname, domain, sys_username, sys_directory FROM accounts WHERE username=$account AND domain=$domain SEE ALSO
cvm-mysql(8), cvm-pgsql(8), cvm-pwfile(8), cvm-qmail(8), cvm-unix(8), cvm-vmailmgr(8), cvm-benchclient(8), cvm-checkpassword(8), cvm-test- client(8) http://untroubled.org/cvm/cvm.html cvm-sql(7)