Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Cutting the top two lines, and also charachters below. Post 80025 by jalge2 on Tuesday 2nd of August 2005 02:59:13 PM
Old 08-02-2005
That did it. I was just running radiousers.log sed 1,2d instead of piping it. Thanks for the help everyone. You saved the day again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting lines out using sed I presume.

Happy New Year!!! I'm trying to cut out some text in a data file where I only want the first line and the last line. For example. 1. Colin Was here <<-- Text I want to cut out 2. THIS IS THE TEXT I WANT TO CUT <- CUT THIS OUT 3. OUT BECAUSE IT'S NO GOOD TO ME <- CUT THIS OUT 4. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cfoxwell
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

max charachters for usernames

Can anyone tell me what the charachter maximum on a username is in SunOs 5.6. Thanks Mark (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: m.szylkarski
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting n consecutive lines from a file...

Hi, I have this problem of separating 10 consecutive lines from a file, say starting from 21 to 30... I have used a filter like this.. head -n 30 myfile | tail -n 10 Is there a simpler way than this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishnu
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help cutting consecutive lines with sed or awk

HI All, I want to cut 5 lines after a pattern using sed or awk. can any one tell me how to do it ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghin
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting specific lines from a file

Hi, I have a file named Mani.txt. The contents are like this cat Mani.txt -------------------------------------------------------- Hi there how r u My Name is Mani Bye ------------------------------------------------------------ I want to cut the first and last lines from the file... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathanjalireddy
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cutting lines

Dear All, Is there a way to cut the lines that have been "head" Here is what i m trying to do Please advice there is file name dummy.txt now i am trying to head this file 4 time by using a loop and every time this file is head with different values e.g in first instance it will... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojo123
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting fields from lines with multiple spaces

Please see the following code, between "status" and "OK" exists many spaces, I want to get status OK . how to ignore multi spaces? If tab exists in the spaces, how to ignore it ? Is there other commands can replace cut? $ echo 'drv status OK'| cut... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting lines if conditions are met

Hi. I am not sure how to solve this problem and if it is possible to do so with scripting. :wall: Let's say I have this data: A 12345 12360 A 12359 12380 A 12381 12390 A 12400 12450 A 12451 12460 B 23456 23460 B 23470 23480 B 23477 23505 I wan't each line to be compared in this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danieladna
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print n lines from top and n lines from bottom of all files with .log extenstion

Oracle Linux 6.4 In a directory I have more than 300 files with the extension .log I want the first 5 and last 5 lines of these .log files to be printed on screen with each file's name. Expected output : Printing first 5 and last 5 lines of FX_WT_Feb8_2014.log !! Authentication... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting specific columns from lines

I am trying to remove columns 81-97 from a line that can be as long as 114 characters. Because a number of lines might not have under 80 characters, using the cut command following by paste could be a problem. While sed might work, is there some other utility that could do this more easily? ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
9 Replies
evmlogger(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      evmlogger(8)

NAME
evmlogger - Event Manager logger SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/evmlogger [-c config_file] [-l log_file] [-o info_file] OPTIONS
Sets the configuration file to config_file. The default is /etc/evmlogger.conf. Sets message output to log_file. The default is stderr. When the logger starts it renames any previous message file by appending Specifies the name of an output file to hold summary details of the current run session. OPERANDS
None DESCRIPTION
The EVM logger is started automatically by the EVM daemon at startup. It reads from its configuration file /etc/evmlogger.conf a set of definitions of event logs and forwarders, each with its own filter string. The logger combines the individual filter strings to produce a single compound string, connects to the EVM daemon, and uses the compound filter string to establish its event subscription. The logger then writes each incoming event to each of the event logs or forwarders whose individual filter string it matches. Event logs may be files or terminal devices. If a terminal device is given as a log, the logger automatically formats the event for dis- play. If a log is a file or any device other than a terminal, and the log is not specified as a formatted log, the logger writes events to it in canonical (binary) form. If a log is a disk file, the logger creates the file if necessary. If the log name ends in the characters .dated, the logger replaces that suffix with the current date in the form yyyymmdd, and begins a new file when the first event is written to the log each day. A lock file with a suffix of .lck is created to protect the log file while it is being written. A log can be configured to start a new file when it reaches a certain size. Successive generations of the same log are given the suffix _n, where n is the generation number of the file. A generation control file, with a suffix of .gen, is created to control the generation sequence. If the logger is writing to the log file, and the file becomes unavailable or unwritable for any reason, the logger switches to the alter- nate log file if one has been configured. Otherwise the log is disabled and the events are lost. If the logger is writing to the alternate log, and the error condition that caused it to switch has been cleared, you can revert to the primary path by using the evmreload -l command. If a forward command is specified, when any incoming event matches the forwarding filter the logger executes the command, piping the incom- ing event into its stdin stream. If an incoming event matches the suppression filter associated with an eventlog or forwarder, the event undergoes suppression consideration processing. In the case of an eventlog this reduces the risk of wasting storage space by logging repeated instances of the same event, and for a forwarder it reduces the risk of sending replicated mail messages reporting the same event over a short period. For a full discus- sion of the configuration values which control suppression see the evmlogger.conf(4) reference page. By default, the logger reads its configuration from /etc/evmlogger.conf. The -c flag can be used to override this. If the logger's configu- ration file is changed while the logger is running, the evmreload -l(8) command should be used to instruct it to reconfigure itself. The logger reconfigures itself when evmreload -l is run, or upon receipt of a SIGHUP signal. There is no limit to the number of instances of the logger which may be running, and individual users or applications can make use of it to monitor and log interesting events. However, they must provide their own configuration files. EXIT VALUES
The following exit values are returned: Successful completion An error occurred FILES
Executable file Default logger configuration file Error log Run information file SEE ALSO
Commands: evmchmgr(8), evmd(8), evmget(1), evmreload(8), evmshow(1), evmstart(8), evmstop(8), kill(1) Files: evmlogger.conf(4) Event Management: EVM(5) EVM Events: EvmEvent(5) Event Filter: EvmFilter(5) delim off evmlogger(8)