Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Cutting the top two lines, and also charachters below. Post 80024 by tmarikle on Tuesday 2nd of August 2005 02:50:13 PM
Old 08-02-2005
Yes, "sed" needs an input. This is a basic requirement of all such utilities. sed can take its input from stdin or from referencing a file.

Example 1:
Code:
cmd | cmd | cmd | sed '1,2d'

Note: "cmd" is simply some scripting command or a UNIX utility.
Example 2:
Code:
sed '1,2d' your_really_big_file

Quote:
It doesn't appear to be working.
This is because sed is expecting keyboard entries. Try it again and enter a bunch of lines and when you press CTRL-D on your keyboard, you'll see the expected results: all lines except the top two will be reprinted on your screen.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting lines out using sed I presume.

Happy New Year!!! I'm trying to cut out some text in a data file where I only want the first line and the last line. For example. 1. Colin Was here <<-- Text I want to cut out 2. THIS IS THE TEXT I WANT TO CUT <- CUT THIS OUT 3. OUT BECAUSE IT'S NO GOOD TO ME <- CUT THIS OUT 4. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cfoxwell
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

max charachters for usernames

Can anyone tell me what the charachter maximum on a username is in SunOs 5.6. Thanks Mark (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: m.szylkarski
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting n consecutive lines from a file...

Hi, I have this problem of separating 10 consecutive lines from a file, say starting from 21 to 30... I have used a filter like this.. head -n 30 myfile | tail -n 10 Is there a simpler way than this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishnu
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help cutting consecutive lines with sed or awk

HI All, I want to cut 5 lines after a pattern using sed or awk. can any one tell me how to do it ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghin
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting specific lines from a file

Hi, I have a file named Mani.txt. The contents are like this cat Mani.txt -------------------------------------------------------- Hi there how r u My Name is Mani Bye ------------------------------------------------------------ I want to cut the first and last lines from the file... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathanjalireddy
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cutting lines

Dear All, Is there a way to cut the lines that have been "head" Here is what i m trying to do Please advice there is file name dummy.txt now i am trying to head this file 4 time by using a loop and every time this file is head with different values e.g in first instance it will... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojo123
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting fields from lines with multiple spaces

Please see the following code, between "status" and "OK" exists many spaces, I want to get status OK . how to ignore multi spaces? If tab exists in the spaces, how to ignore it ? Is there other commands can replace cut? $ echo 'drv status OK'| cut... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting lines if conditions are met

Hi. I am not sure how to solve this problem and if it is possible to do so with scripting. :wall: Let's say I have this data: A 12345 12360 A 12359 12380 A 12381 12390 A 12400 12450 A 12451 12460 B 23456 23460 B 23470 23480 B 23477 23505 I wan't each line to be compared in this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danieladna
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print n lines from top and n lines from bottom of all files with .log extenstion

Oracle Linux 6.4 In a directory I have more than 300 files with the extension .log I want the first 5 and last 5 lines of these .log files to be printed on screen with each file's name. Expected output : Printing first 5 and last 5 lines of FX_WT_Feb8_2014.log !! Authentication... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting specific columns from lines

I am trying to remove columns 81-97 from a line that can be as long as 114 characters. Because a number of lines might not have under 80 characters, using the cut command following by paste could be a problem. While sed might work, is there some other utility that could do this more easily? ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
9 Replies
MARIA-VIS(1)						      General Commands Manual						      MARIA-VIS(1)

NAME
maria-vis - graph visualization script for maria SYNOPSIS
maria-vis DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the maria-vis command. maria-vis is a lefty script invoked by maria in order to visually present information to the user. The script reads commands and direc- tives from standard input and may write maria query language commands to standard output. An end-of-file condition on standard input ter- minates the script. The script is built on top of the dotty script that is part of the GraphViz package. The commands prefixed with visual in maria issue two kinds of commands to this script: new(); or add(); followed by a newline character and a graph definition in the dot input language. The new function in the script displays the graph in a new window, while the add function copies information from the graph to the last modi- fied graph. SEE ALSO
dot(1), dotty(1), lefty(1), maria(1). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Marko Makela <msmakela@tcs.hut.fi>. The maria-vis script and the visualization option were designed and implemented by Marko Makela. Please see the copyright file in /usr/share/doc/maria for details. August 10, 2001 MARIA-VIS(1)