Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Cutting the top two lines, and also charachters below. Post 80020 by Perderabo on Tuesday 2nd of August 2005 02:20:13 PM
Old 08-02-2005
try:
sed '1,2d'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting lines out using sed I presume.

Happy New Year!!! I'm trying to cut out some text in a data file where I only want the first line and the last line. For example. 1. Colin Was here <<-- Text I want to cut out 2. THIS IS THE TEXT I WANT TO CUT <- CUT THIS OUT 3. OUT BECAUSE IT'S NO GOOD TO ME <- CUT THIS OUT 4. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cfoxwell
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

max charachters for usernames

Can anyone tell me what the charachter maximum on a username is in SunOs 5.6. Thanks Mark (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: m.szylkarski
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting n consecutive lines from a file...

Hi, I have this problem of separating 10 consecutive lines from a file, say starting from 21 to 30... I have used a filter like this.. head -n 30 myfile | tail -n 10 Is there a simpler way than this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishnu
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help cutting consecutive lines with sed or awk

HI All, I want to cut 5 lines after a pattern using sed or awk. can any one tell me how to do it ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghin
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting specific lines from a file

Hi, I have a file named Mani.txt. The contents are like this cat Mani.txt -------------------------------------------------------- Hi there how r u My Name is Mani Bye ------------------------------------------------------------ I want to cut the first and last lines from the file... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathanjalireddy
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cutting lines

Dear All, Is there a way to cut the lines that have been "head" Here is what i m trying to do Please advice there is file name dummy.txt now i am trying to head this file 4 time by using a loop and every time this file is head with different values e.g in first instance it will... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojo123
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting fields from lines with multiple spaces

Please see the following code, between "status" and "OK" exists many spaces, I want to get status OK . how to ignore multi spaces? If tab exists in the spaces, how to ignore it ? Is there other commands can replace cut? $ echo 'drv status OK'| cut... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting lines if conditions are met

Hi. I am not sure how to solve this problem and if it is possible to do so with scripting. :wall: Let's say I have this data: A 12345 12360 A 12359 12380 A 12381 12390 A 12400 12450 A 12451 12460 B 23456 23460 B 23470 23480 B 23477 23505 I wan't each line to be compared in this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danieladna
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print n lines from top and n lines from bottom of all files with .log extenstion

Oracle Linux 6.4 In a directory I have more than 300 files with the extension .log I want the first 5 and last 5 lines of these .log files to be printed on screen with each file's name. Expected output : Printing first 5 and last 5 lines of FX_WT_Feb8_2014.log !! Authentication... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting specific columns from lines

I am trying to remove columns 81-97 from a line that can be as long as 114 characters. Because a number of lines might not have under 80 characters, using the cut command following by paste could be a problem. While sed might work, is there some other utility that could do this more easily? ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
9 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)