Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: script dumb question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers script dumb question Post 79859 by piltrafa on Monday 1st of August 2005 03:22:39 PM
Old 08-01-2005
script dumb question

Hi,

i'm dealing with a script and I have one question. If I have these:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

wget http://somesite/file.tar
tar xvf file.tar

exit

I need the line that contains the command tar to wait until file.tar is completly downloaded, but it doesn't and continues with the next line generating an error because there is nothing to untar...

Any idea ? Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dumb question

My problem is as follows: I have to write a korn shell script which will run mutiple java applications one after one. For example, I will execute the java application A first, after it is done I will run application B. My question is how do I do this? How does my korn shell script know that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhab99
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

really dumb question...

ok i decided to go with Mandrake so i went to the site to download it and that took me to a mirror site. ok. so once i get there were can i find the install file(s) that i need? i only see a series of folder and files. the ones that say intall are instructions but i don't see the files themselves.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: justchillin
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok really dumb question but...

Does anyone have detailed info on how to download the files. I go to www.freebsd.com and then i dont know what to do. I dont know why i dont know but im drawing a complete blank so is there anyone that can provide a step by step procedure for downloading/installing Linux? :confused: :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corrail
3 Replies

4. AIX

got a dumb question where do i get AIX 5.3 from

Guys, ive been looking about , but obviously not hard enough, Where do i get AIX 5.3 from ? DO i need to purchase it or is it free to download on a single user license ?:confused: Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wmccull
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another dumb question...

Probably a really easy one for you guru's out there...:rolleyes: I need to make sure the reverse address lookup daemon in rarpd, is running. How do I do so? :confused: Did a grep for the process but couldnt find it, also looked in all the normal places, /bin etc... Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JayC89
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another dumb question but...

When getting a listing of files using "ls -l", my output shows the permissions, #oflinks???, owner, group, size, month-day-time, and file. In the example below, how would I know what year the file was last modified? -rw-rw-r--, 28, root, root, 2048, Oct 28 15:10, somefile.txt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KGee
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

this is a very dumb question...i know... :(

hi, when we do an "ls -l" on a directory, we get the listing of the contents of that dir... what is the meaning of some numbers...example in ; -rw-r--r-- 1 idr supp 0 Feb 18 19:41 dmesg drwxrwsrwx 2 root sys 96 Dec 27 15:31 test09 drwxr-xr-x 3 bin ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with dumb for-loop question

can anyone please suggest what is wrong with this command: for i in ; do cat ~/Downloads/Project/p0s0n15.tcl>>~/Downloads/Project/p0s0n15_$i.tcl; ./setdest -n 15 -p 0 -M 5 -t 100 -x 500 -y 500 >>~/Downloads/Project/p0s0n15_$i.tcl; cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amithkhandakar
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

really dumb MV command question

Hi, Im trying to do move a file like this as mart of my script on Solaris mv /path/to/file/file.txt .. mv: cannot rename /path/to/file/file.txt to ../file.txt: Permission denied. Im just trying to move it up one level using the following command on a bunch of directories: find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ideal2545
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Dumb question on script execution

Hi Folks - I have a dumb question. Why does this work: pushd "/apps/scripts" ./script.sh popd But this doesn't: ./apps/scripts/script.shIs it that obvious where I'm overlooking it? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
7 Replies
procsystime(1m) 						   USER COMMANDS						   procsystime(1m)

NAME
procsystime - analyse system call times. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
procsystime [-acehoT] [ -p PID | -n name | command ] DESCRIPTION
procsystime prints details on system call times for processes, both the elapsed times and on-cpu times can be printed. The elapsed times are interesting, to help identify syscalls that take some time to complete (during which the process may have slept). CPU time helps us identify syscalls that are consuming CPU cycles to run. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. OPTIONS
-a print all data -c print syscall counts -e print elapsed times, ns -o print CPU times, ns -T print totals -p PID examine this PID -n name examine processes which have this name EXAMPLES
Print elapsed times for PID 1871, # procsystime -p 1871 Print elapsed times for processes called "tar", # procsystime -n tar Print CPU times for "tar" processes, # procsystime -on tar Print syscall counts for "tar" processes, # procsystime -cn tar Print elapsed and CPU times for "tar" processes, # procsystime -eon tar print all details for "bash" processes, # procsystime -aTn bash run and print details for "df -h", # procsystime df -h FIELDS
SYSCALL System call name TIME (ns) Total time, nanoseconds COUNT Number of occurrences DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
procsystime will sample until Ctrl-C is hit. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
dtruss(1M), dtrace(1M), truss(1) version 1.00 Sep 22, 2005 procsystime(1m)