Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: redirect termial output
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers redirect termial output Post 7974 by Optimus_P on Thursday 4th of October 2001 09:17:13 AM
Old 10-04-2001
just as you would redirect to a file. after all a device just boils down to a file also.

on my sun box it is done as so.

user1 is logged onto pts/1
user2 is logged onto pts/2

ls > /dev/pts/2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect Output In Variable

how make assign the output of the command (for example: grep "file" "string" ) in a variable ($name)? i thing how put the result of the command (grep , cut, find ecc) in a variable.. IT's Possible ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ZINGARO
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect output

Hi all, I have a script which call a java program, the logging (to log file) in the program is done using log4j. However, as a safety measure, i still choose to direct standard error to another log file as follow /usr/bin/java -classpath ${classpath} -Xmx128m TestingProgram 2>>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpang_
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Monitering Other Termial

Dear Jems, Is it possible as a admin what commands are excuting in other terminal. Example:if the who cmd output is like these Can i watch online means at presently what commands are executing in the terminal "pts/7"/ (172.17.17.87) and result of the command. root console Oct 13... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: salaathi
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect Output

Hi, I would like to list files: ls *.hdf But I would like a copy of the output directed to the screen, but also APPENDED to a text file: test.txt I have tried: ls *.hdf | tee test.txt However, that will just write over everything already existing in test.txt. How can I append the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msb65
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

output redirect

Hi i am compiling a source code by make command. i want to redirect the output of make to a file but at the same time i want to see the output in terminal. how to do this ?. please suggest your idea. thanks in advance. Saravana ---------- Post updated at 05:24 PM ----------... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsaravanan
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

p7zip redirect output

Hi evreybody In my program i work with file compressed with 7zip I need to decompress these file I've red the man page of p7zip which is very short (maybe too short) Is there another program to work whit 7zip files I need options like redirect output (p7zip decompress file in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_bouk
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect SFTP Output only

HI Guys, My requiement is to redirect output and error of sftp to a file.I have gone through few solutions given in this forum and got the alternate solution but not the one i want. Below piece of code is not working .. $ sftp user@server<<EOF 2>&1 >temp.txt > cd <dir> > ls > EOF... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanpadamata
0 Replies

8. Programming

questions about pseudo termial

I am studying APUE(advanced programming in the unix environment). I have read up to chapter19 pseudo terminal. I know that the pty is like a fake device for programs to direct STDIN and STDOUT to. But I don't know why we need it. Can someone tell me what is the use of pseudo terminal. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tefino
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to mail monitoring output if required or redirect output to log file

Below script perfectly works, giving below mail output. BUT, I want to make the script mail only if there are any D-Defined/T-Transition/B-Broken State WPARs and also to copy the output generated during monitoring to a temporary log file, which gets cleaned up every week. Need suggestions. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect script output to a file and mail the output

Hi Guys, I want to redirect the output of 3 scripts to a file and then mail the output of those three scripts. I used below but it is not working: OFILE=/home/home1/report1 echo "report1 details" > $OFILE =/home/home1/1.sh > $OFILE echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
7 Replies
focus(3tk)						       Tk Built-In Commands							focus(3tk)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
focus - Manage the input focus SYNOPSIS
focus focus window focus option ?arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The focus command is used to manage the Tk input focus. At any given time, one window on each display is designated as the focus window; any key press or key release events for the display are sent to that window. It is normally up to the window manager to redirect the focus among the top-level windows of a display. For example, some window managers automatically set the input focus to a top-level window when- ever the mouse enters it; others redirect the input focus only when the user clicks on a window. Usually the window manager will set the focus only to top-level windows, leaving it up to the application to redirect the focus among the children of the top-level. Tk remembers one focus window for each top-level (the most recent descendant of that top-level to receive the focus); when the window man- ager gives the focus to a top-level, Tk automatically redirects it to the remembered window. Within a top-level Tk uses an explicit focus model by default. Moving the mouse within a top-level does not normally change the focus; the focus changes only when a widget decides explicitly to claim the focus (e.g., because of a button click), or when the user types a key such as Tab that moves the focus. The Tcl procedure tk_focusFollowsMouse may be invoked to create an implicit focus model: it reconfigures Tk so that the focus is set to a window whenever the mouse enters it. The Tcl procedures tk_focusNext and tk_focusPrev implement a focus order among the windows of a top- level; they are used in the default bindings for Tab and Shift-Tab, among other things. The focus command can take any of the following forms: focus Returns the path name of the focus window on the display containing the application's main window, or an empty string if no window in this application has the focus on that display. Note: it is better to specify the display explicitly using -displayof (see below) so that the code will work in applications using multiple displays. focus window If the application currently has the input focus on window's display, this command resets the input focus for window's display to window and returns an empty string. If the application does not currently have the input focus on window's display, window will be remembered as the focus for its top-level; the next time the focus arrives at the top-level, Tk will redirect it to window. If window is an empty string then the command does nothing. focus -displayof window Returns the name of the focus window on the display containing window. If the focus window for window's display is not in this application, the return value is an empty string. focus -force window Sets the focus of window's display to window, even if the application does not currently have the input focus for the display. This command should be used sparingly, if at all. In normal usage, an application should not claim the focus for itself; instead, it should wait for the window manager to give it the focus. If window is an empty string then the command does nothing. focus -lastfor window Returns the name of the most recent window to have the input focus among all the windows in the same top-level as window. If no window in that top-level has ever had the input focus, or if the most recent focus window has been deleted, then the name of the top-level is returned. The return value is the window that will receive the input focus the next time the window manager gives the focus to the top-level. QUIRKS
When an internal window receives the input focus, Tk does not actually set the X focus to that window; as far as X is concerned, the focus will stay on the top-level window containing the window with the focus. However, Tk generates FocusIn and FocusOut events just as if the X focus were on the internal window. This approach gets around a number of problems that would occur if the X focus were actually moved; the fact that the X focus is on the top-level is invisible unless you use C code to query the X server directly. EXAMPLE
To make a window that only participates in the focus traversal ring when a variable is set, add the following bindings to the widgets before and after it in that focus ring: button .before -text "Before" button .middle -text "Middle" button .after -text "After" checkbutton .flag -variable traverseToMiddle -takefocus 0 pack .flag -side left pack .before .middle .after bind .before <Tab> { if {!$traverseToMiddle} { focus .after break } } bind .after <Shift-Tab> { if {!$traverseToMiddle} { focus .before break } } focus .before KEYWORDS
events, focus, keyboard, top-level, window manager Tk 4.0 focus(3tk)