Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: redirect termial output
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers redirect termial output Post 7974 by Optimus_P on Thursday 4th of October 2001 09:17:13 AM
Old 10-04-2001
just as you would redirect to a file. after all a device just boils down to a file also.

on my sun box it is done as so.

user1 is logged onto pts/1
user2 is logged onto pts/2

ls > /dev/pts/2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect Output In Variable

how make assign the output of the command (for example: grep "file" "string" ) in a variable ($name)? i thing how put the result of the command (grep , cut, find ecc) in a variable.. IT's Possible ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ZINGARO
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect output

Hi all, I have a script which call a java program, the logging (to log file) in the program is done using log4j. However, as a safety measure, i still choose to direct standard error to another log file as follow /usr/bin/java -classpath ${classpath} -Xmx128m TestingProgram 2>>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpang_
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Monitering Other Termial

Dear Jems, Is it possible as a admin what commands are excuting in other terminal. Example:if the who cmd output is like these Can i watch online means at presently what commands are executing in the terminal "pts/7"/ (172.17.17.87) and result of the command. root console Oct 13... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: salaathi
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect Output

Hi, I would like to list files: ls *.hdf But I would like a copy of the output directed to the screen, but also APPENDED to a text file: test.txt I have tried: ls *.hdf | tee test.txt However, that will just write over everything already existing in test.txt. How can I append the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msb65
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

output redirect

Hi i am compiling a source code by make command. i want to redirect the output of make to a file but at the same time i want to see the output in terminal. how to do this ?. please suggest your idea. thanks in advance. Saravana ---------- Post updated at 05:24 PM ----------... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsaravanan
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

p7zip redirect output

Hi evreybody In my program i work with file compressed with 7zip I need to decompress these file I've red the man page of p7zip which is very short (maybe too short) Is there another program to work whit 7zip files I need options like redirect output (p7zip decompress file in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_bouk
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect SFTP Output only

HI Guys, My requiement is to redirect output and error of sftp to a file.I have gone through few solutions given in this forum and got the alternate solution but not the one i want. Below piece of code is not working .. $ sftp user@server<<EOF 2>&1 >temp.txt > cd <dir> > ls > EOF... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanpadamata
0 Replies

8. Programming

questions about pseudo termial

I am studying APUE(advanced programming in the unix environment). I have read up to chapter19 pseudo terminal. I know that the pty is like a fake device for programs to direct STDIN and STDOUT to. But I don't know why we need it. Can someone tell me what is the use of pseudo terminal. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tefino
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to mail monitoring output if required or redirect output to log file

Below script perfectly works, giving below mail output. BUT, I want to make the script mail only if there are any D-Defined/T-Transition/B-Broken State WPARs and also to copy the output generated during monitoring to a temporary log file, which gets cleaned up every week. Need suggestions. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect script output to a file and mail the output

Hi Guys, I want to redirect the output of 3 scripts to a file and then mail the output of those three scripts. I used below but it is not working: OFILE=/home/home1/report1 echo "report1 details" > $OFILE =/home/home1/1.sh > $OFILE echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
7 Replies
PTS_QUIT(1)						       AFS Command Reference						       PTS_QUIT(1)

NAME
pts_quit - Exit from pts interactive mode SYNOPSIS
pts quit [-cell] <cell name> [-noauth] [-localauth] [-force] pts q [-c] <cell name> [-n] [-l] [-f] DESCRIPTION
The pts quit command exits from pts interactive mode. The command can be run from the command line or interactively, but on the command line it does nothing and is therefore of questionable utility. CAUTIONS
Prior to OpenAFS 1.4.5 and OpenAFS 1.5.23, the pts quit command was only available on Unix or Linux and when OpenAFS was compiled with the supergroups option (disabled by default). As of OpenAFS 1.4.5 and 1.5.23, it is always available. OPTIONS
Although they have no effect, pts quit takes the following standard pts options: -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. For more details, see pts(1). -force Enables the command to continue executing as far as possible when errors or other problems occur, rather than halting execution at the first error. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. Do not combine this flag with the -cell or -noauth options. For more details, see pts(1). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity anonymous to the issuer. For more details, see pts(1). OUTPUT
This command produces no output. EXAMPLES
Here is an example of a pts interactive session: % pts interactive pts> quit % SEE ALSO
pts(1), pts_interactive(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007 Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Jason Edgecombe for OpenAFS. OpenAFS 2014-04-08 PTS_QUIT(1)