Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Date Intervals
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Date Intervals Post 79674 by Perderabo on Friday 29th of July 2005 02:09:55 PM
Old 07-29-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by yongho
I posted a question on date intervals about a month back asking about how I could be able to go about a user entering the starting year/month/day and an ending year/month/day and then the script automatically cycling through each day of each month of each year that the user has specified.

I checked out Perderabo's datecalc script and it was helpful but still not exactly what I needed.
This would take about 30 seconds to write if you would use datecalc. In fact....
Code:
#! /usr/bin/ksh

read "yr1?enter start date (yyyy mm dd) - " mo1 da1
start=$(datecalc -j $yr1 $mo1 $da1) ||
        { echo $yr1 $mo1 $da1 is not valid ; exit 1 ; }
read "yr2?enter start date (yyyy mm dd) - " mo2 da2
stop=$(datecalc -j $yr2 $mo2 $da2) ||
        { echo $yr2 $mo2 $da2 is not valid ; exit 1 ; }

while ((start<stop)) ; do
        datecalc -j $start
        ((start=start+1))
done
exit 0

Well, I'm getting old... Smilie OK, 110 seconds..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to perform Date Intervals?

I have a 300 line script which generates key performance indicators for one of our systems. Since I just started learning sh/ksh half a month ago there's still a lot I haven't had experience with yet. Currently, the script generates the report for a specific day. (It takes the date specified by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailing myself at regular intervals...

hi all, i wrote a script to mail myself using pine (modified) to keep remind of b'days. #!/bin/bash grep "`date +%D |awk -F/ '{print $2+1, $1+0}'`" dataFile >/home/username/mailme if test -s /home/username/mailme then pine -I '^X,y' -subject "Birthday Remainder" username... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: timepassman
4 Replies

3. Programming

performing a task at regular intervals

hi! i m tryin to write a program that will perform a specific tasks after fixed interval of time.say every 1 min. i jus donno how to go abt it.. which functions to use and so on... i wud like to add that i am dont want to use crontab over here. ny lead is appreciated. thanx. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridula
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

How do sa1/sar time intervals work?

Hi, I have set up sar on my RedHat and Fedora Linux systems. I am running sa1 from cron: 0 8-17 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 1200 3 & The 1200 and 3 parameters tell sa1 to save data every 1200 seconds (== 20 minutes) and to write 3 times. When I run sar to observe my data, I'll see... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mschwage
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash loop script for specfic intervals

Hello, first of all I am happy to sign up here. Next is, I have shell scripts for all the files I want looped infinitely for specific intervals(This is for a wmii config). My question here is how can I run multiple scripts at a 10 second interval for instance? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mesher
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script - Copy File at intervals

Hi, I want to copy some files from a Folder say, /usr/X at random intervals to another location. Basically, new files will be dumped at random intervals to location /usr/X and I have to copy those new files to some other location (after copying, I cannot delete those files from source... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman_ag
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Divide numbers into intervals

divide input values into specified number (-100 or -200) according to the key (a1 or a2 ....) For ex: if we give -100 in the command line it would create 100 number intervals (1-100, 100-200, 200-300) untill it covers the value 300 in a1. Note: It should work the same even with huge numbers... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruby_sgp
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grab exactly one byte from a FIFO, at random intervals

I want to develop a script of the following form: #!/bin/bash # Function 'listen' opens a data stream # which stores all incoming bytes in # a buffer, preparing them to be # grabbed by a following function # which appears at random # intervals during the execution of # the script ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vomv1988
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Building intervals

Hi all, I hope you can help me with the following question: I have multiple tables like this: Chr Start End Zygosity Gene chr1 153233510 153233510 het LOR chr1 153233615 153233615 hom LOR chr1 153233701 153233701 hom LOR chr1 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsantome
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Gap length between intervals

hi all, I wish to calculate the length between intervals whose are defined by a starting and an end possition. The data looks like this: 1 10 23 30 45 60 70 100... The desired output should be: 13 # (23-10) 15 # (45-30) 10 # (70-60)... I donīt know how to operate with different... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsantome
2 Replies
CHEWMAIL(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       CHEWMAIL(1)

NAME
chewmail - mail archiver SYNOPSIS
chewmail [OPTIONS] <MAILBOX> ... DESCRIPTION
chewmail is a program for archiving mail. It is inspired by the by the Python-based archivemail, but with more useful semantics. All mail is archived to the mailbox specified with the --output-box switch, in mbox format. It can read mailboxes in mbox, Maildir and MH formats. Internally, chewmail uses Mail::Box, so it support file names and URLs supported by that module. OPTIONS
-o mailbox-format, --output-box=mailbox-format The mailbox to archive messages to. The mailbox is run through the Date::Format module, so it supports all it's conversion specifiers. The date and time is relative to the messages timestamp, or the current time if the timestamp is impossible to determine. A sample of the conversion specifiers follows: %% PERCENT %b month abbr %B month %d numeric day of the month, with leading zeros (eg 01..31) %e numeric day of the month, without leading zeros (eg 1..31) %D MM/DD/YY %G GPS week number (weeks since January 6, 1980) %h month abbr %H hour, 24 hour clock, leading 0's) %I hour, 12 hour clock, leading 0's) %j day of the year %k hour %l hour, 12 hour clock %L month number, starting with 1 %m month number, starting with 01 %n NEWLINE %o ornate day of month -- "1st", "2nd", "25th", etc. %t TAB %U week number, Sunday as first day of week %w day of the week, numerically, Sunday == 0 %W week number, Monday as first day of week %x date format: 11/19/94 %y year (2 digits) %Y year (4 digits) -d days-old, --days=days-old Only archive messages older than than this many days. -D date, --date=date Only archive messages old than this date. The date can be any date understood by Perl's Date::Parse module. -R, --only-read Only archive messages that are marked seen or read. --delete-immediately Synchonize the mailboxes after every message is moved. This will be substantially slower but may provide better recovery for some mail- box formats in the event of a crash. --preserve-timestamp Preserve the atime and mtime of the input mailbox. This only affects file-based mailboxes, such as mbox. -n, --dry-run Go through all the motions of archiving the mail, but don't actually change any mailboxes. -v, --verbose Output more informational messages. Use multiple times for more verbosity. -q, --quiet Don't output any messages other than error messages. -V, --version Print the version number then exit. -h, --help Print usage information then exit. EXAMPLES
Archive two day old messages in inbox to inbox-old: chewmail --days 2 -o inbox-old inbox Archive read messages to a mailbox named the year-month of the message: chewmail --only-read -o %Y-%m inbox SEE ALSO
archivemail(1), Date::Parse, Date::Format, Mail::Box AUTHOR
Eric Dorland <eric@kuroneko.ca> perl v5.8.8 2006-08-15 CHEWMAIL(1)