Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: single user mode
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users single user mode Post 79657 by infierno on Friday 29th of July 2005 11:51:31 AM
Old 07-29-2005
Code:
     The init utility will terminate multi-user operations and resume single-
     user mode if sent a terminate (TERM) signal, for example, ``kill -TERM
     1''.  If there are processes outstanding that are deadlocked (because of

.. this is an output from FreeBSD's init(8) man page... check out your HP-UX init man page, maybe there is the 'secret' Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode

Hi all, why "vi" acts differently is single user mode? Does anyone help ? I am using "x" to delete and it keeps messing up. Please help Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guest100
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Single user mode

Hi all, Well back at work and back to crashing systems again :-) Does anyone know where I can find some decent information on single user mode? I need to be able to fix a few things. Don't know if it's possible in single user mode but I need to fix the "etc/vfstab" mainly I re-wrote it to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: merlin
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single-user mode

how do you boot into single user mode? RedHat 7.1 Caldera 2.4 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorro81
2 Replies

4. Solaris

adding a user in single user mode

Just got a solaris 8 blade 150 box with no users, only a root account. no one seems to know the password. I'd like to add one user. So I booted into single user mode via cdrom and added one. Can't seem to login using the new account, though. Here's what I'm using: # useradd -d /tmp/"user" -m... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ECBROWN
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

single user mode

How to diable the single user mode.. what i want is dat my users are unable to boot in single user mode via GRUB.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankit.jss
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to Single user mode?

How to enter single user mode when UNIX/LINUX system is starting? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gkreddy
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode - user accounts passwords

hello ppl, someone must be able to help with this --> I have an old NCR tower 32 with an ADDS terminal running a unix version 020102 (Im not sure if thats correct but its unix for sure). I have no user names and no passwords and need to login to read a tape. Is there any way to do that? I hear... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orestis
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not able to log into single user mode.

Hi as per the article given. Boot Linux Grub Into Single User Mode I m modifying the boot entry grub edit> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.el5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet Singleand then booting from it by pressing b. However the machine is getting booted into runlevel 5. if the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Single user mode

Hi all I am new on sun OS. I have have little experience on linux. The Story start from this point: I want to put some script on start-up the terminal, but I cant do that. my shell was sh and I tried so much to find way to do that. at last someone said to me change your shell to bash. I ask how... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahim_T
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Single user mode

Dear All I am trying to install my os as : ok>boot cdrom - install but receiving the following : "IDprom checksum error getexecname() failed /sbin/rcS /etc/vfstab cannot create INIT:failed write utmpx enrty INIT:single user mode INIT:execle of /etc/sulogin failed Enter run level" Can you... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
6 Replies
shutdown(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      shutdown(1M)

NAME
shutdown - shut down system, change system state SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/shutdown [-y] [-g grace-period] [-i init-state] [message] DESCRIPTION
shutdown is executed by the super user to change the state of the machine. In most cases, it is used to change from the multi-user state (state 2) to another state. By default, shutdown brings the system to a state where only the console has access to the operating system. This state is called single- user. Before starting to shut down daemons and killing processes, shutdown sends a warning message and, by default, a final message asking for confirmation. message is a string that is sent out following the standard warning message "The system will be shut down in ..." If the string contains more than one word, it should be contained within single (') or double (") quotation marks. The warning message and the user provided message are output when there are 7200, 3600, 1800, 1200, 600, 300, 120, 60, and 30 seconds remaining before shutdown begins. See EXAMPLES. System state definitions are: state 0 Stop the operating system. state 1 State 1 is referred to as the administrative state. In state 1 file systems required for multi-user operations are mounted, and logins requiring access to multi-user file systems can be used. When the system comes up from firmware mode into state 1, only the console is active and other multi-user (state 2) services are unavailable. Note that not all user processes are stopped when transitioning from multi-user state to state 1. state s, S State s (or S) is referred to as the single-user state. All user processes are stopped on transitions to this state. In the single-user state, file systems required for multi-user logins are unmounted and the system can only be accessed through the console. Logins requiring access to multi-user file systems cannot be used. state 5 Shut the machine down so that it is safe to remove the power. Have the machine remove power, if possible. The rc0 procedure is called to perform this task. state 6 Stop the operating system and reboot to the state defined by the initdefault entry in /etc/inittab. The rc6 procedure is called to perform this task. OPTIONS
-y Pre-answer the confirmation question so the command can be run without user intervention. -g grace-period Allow the super user to change the number of seconds from the 60-second default. -i init-state If there are warnings, init-state specifies the state init is to be in. By default, system state `s' is used. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using shutdown In the following example, shutdown is being executed on host foo and is scheduled in 120 seconds. The warning message is output 2 minutes, 1 minute, and 30 seconds before the final confirmation message. example# shutdown -i S -g 120 "===== disk replacement =====" Shutdown started. Tue Jun 7 14:51:40 PDT 1994 Broadcast Message from root (pts/1) on foo Tue Jun 7 14:51:41... The system will be shut down in 2 minutes ===== disk replacement ===== Broadcast Message from root (pts/1) on foo Tue Jun 7 14:52:41... The system will be shut down in 1 minutes ===== disk replacement ===== Broadcast Message from root (pts/1) on foo Tue Jun 7 14:53:41... The system will be shut down in 30 seconds ===== disk replacement ===== Do you want to continue? (y or n): FILES
/etc/inittab controls process dispatching by init ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
boot(1M), halt(1M), init(1M), killall(1M), reboot(1M), ufsdump(1M), init.d(4), inittab(4), nologin(4), attributes(5) NOTES
When a system transitions down to the S or s state, the /etc/nologin file (see nologin(4)) is created. Upon subsequent transition to state 2 (multi-user state), this file is removed by a script in the /etc/rc2.d directory. SunOS 5.10 9 May 2001 shutdown(1M)