Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting get physical and virtual memory Post 79604 by tads98 on Thursday 28th of July 2005 10:06:35 PM
Old 07-28-2005
we are running an HP-UX Unix Server...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

ulimits max locked memory virtual memory

Hi, Would any one be so kind to explain me : are ulimits defined for each user seperately ? When ? Specialy what is the impact of : max locked memory and virtual memory on performance of applications for a user. Many thanks. PS : this is what I can see in MAN : ulimit ] ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
5 Replies

2. Solaris

How to find Total and Free Physical Memory and Logical Memory in SOLARIS 9

Hi, Im working on Solaris 9 on SPARC-32 bit running on an Ultra-80, and I have to find out the following:- 1. Total Physical Memory in the system(total RAM). 2. Available Physical Memory(i.e. RAM Usage) 3. Total (Logical) Memory in the system 4. Available (Logical) Memory. I know... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
4 Replies

3. Solaris

restrcit physical memory with zone.max-locked-memory

Is it possible to restrict physical memory in solaris zone with zone.max-locked-memory just like we can do with rcapd ? I do not want to used rcapd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fugitive
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

translating physical/virtual addresses

Hi all, I am new to Linux kernel/user space programming having been an assembly programmer in my previous life. I am now using 2.6.x kernel on an embedded CPU that has a few dedicated hardware blocks (including more CPU running just C-code, i.e., no operating system). There is a single DRAM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agaurav
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Physical or Virtual

Hi, I am on an Solaris machine "SunOS 5.10 Generic_139556-08 i86pc i386 i86pc"..how do i check if I am on an physical or an virtaul server. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjoy
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris - physical to virtual migration on the same M5000

Hello, Firstly, apologies if the theme of this post is discussed elsewhere. At the moment we have a dual-domain M5000 running. Each domain is running with equal amounts of CPU and memory. What we'd like to do is move the 2 hosts in question (1 per domain) to a Solaris 10 zone of it's zone.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nm146332
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Server is virtual or physical?

Hi All, How can I know whether the server I am connecting to is a virtual or physical one? The server might be having any Unix OS (Linux/Solaris/HP-UX etc.). Is there any system files / commands which can show these concrete information? Thanks in advance for the replies. sanzee (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Number of physical and virtual processors

Hi, i am trying to find out hpw many virtual and physical processors does any linux machine has: output of /proc/cpuinfo is as below : # cat /proc/cpuinfo processor : 0 vendor_id : GenuineIntel cpu family : 6 model : 26 model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
8 Replies

9. AIX

Need help on physical and virtual cpu

HI, I need a command to find, 1) Avaiable Physical CPU 2) Avaiable virtual CPU TIA (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumanthupar
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 10 virtual - how do I tell physical host?

uname -a reports type Generic so I know its virtual. Assume its an ldom somewhere. How do I find out what physical host server is? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
4 Replies
mem(7D) 							      Devices								   mem(7D)

NAME
mem, kmem, allkmem - physical or virtual memory access SYNOPSIS
/dev/mem /dev/kmem /dev/allkmem DESCRIPTION
The file /dev/mem is a special file that provides access to the physical memory of the computer. The file /dev/kmem is a special file that provides access to the virtual address space of the operating system kernel, excluding memory that is associated with an I/O device. The file /dev/allkmem is a special file that provides access to the virtual address space of the operating system kernel, including memory that is associated with an I/O device. You can use any of these devices to examine and modify the system. Byte addresses in /dev/mem are interpreted as physical memory addresses. Byte addresses in /dev/kmem and /dev/allkmem are interpreted as kernel virtual memory addresses. A reference to a non-existent location returns an error. See ERRORS for more information. The file /dev/mem accesses physical memory; the size of the file is equal to the amount of physical memory in the computer. This size may be larger than 4GB on a system running the 32-bit operating environment. In this case, you can access memory beyond 4GB using a series of read(2) and write(2) calls, a pread64() or pwrite64() call, or a combination of llseek(2) and read(2) or write(2). ERRORS
EFAULT Occurs when trying to write(2) a read-only location (allkmem), read(2) a write-only location (allkmem), or read(2) or write(2) a non-existent or unimplemented location (mem, kmem, allkmem). EIO Occurs when trying to read(2) or write(2) a memory location that is associated with an I/O device using the /dev/kmem special file. ENXIO Results from attempting to mmap(2) a non-existent physical (mem) or virtual (kmem, allkmem) memory address. FILES
/dev/mem Provides access to the computer's physical memory. /dev/kmem Provides access to the virtual address space of the operating system kernel, excluding memory that is associated with an I/O device. /dev/allkmem Provides access to the virtual address space of the operating system kernel, including memory that is associated with an I/O device. SEE ALSO
llseek(2), mmap(2), read(2), write(2) WARNINGS
Using these devices to modify (that is, write to) the address space of a live running operating system or to modify the state of a hardware device is extremely dangerous and may result in a system panic if kernel data structures are damaged or if device state is changed. SunOS 5.11 18 Feb 2002 mem(7D)